Grade 1 error and some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grade 1 error and some questions

I promise I am not trying to be a pest. Just need some understanding. I am going through Grade 1 with my son. We started later so are only on week 4 right now.

I found two errors:
    1) In the lesson plans for week 3 on Monday under PHONICS, Core Skills Phonics says to do 2-p.36(i) but that page is for (u).
    2) In the lesson plans for week 4 on Tuesday under PHONICS, Classical Phonics it says to do p. 74 (ai,ay). That is actually on page 73.

So I am still having some trouble with the math. I figured out through asking questions here that the first few weeks of R&S is just "review". I had been trying to do each lesson thinking that is what they meant by "review". SIGH. Also changing things into a homeschool setting instead of a classroom instruction like the Teachers Manual is set up is taking up too much of my time. I wish I had known it was done that way. Anyway here is some of my troubles:

I am not sure how to do the speed drills. For example a lesson says "speed drill #17" with the answers, but not sure what I'm supposed to do? The appendix in the back doesn't explain. Am I missing something?

Here is an example of something else that doesn't make sense to me. Not sure if its an error: For math, week 4-Wednesday if says to Review Lesson 54, then do L.60 of the practice sheets, which is Form D-Story Dictation. So I go to the practice sheet and its a blank page with no words that does not correspond to lesson 54. I went to the answer sheet for that page in the back of the TM and figured out L.60 practice sheet coincides with lesson 60 of the workbook. So I had to look at Lesson 60 to figure out what to do with this sheet. Is this done on purpose? It is very confusing.

Also, with regard to Recitation: To start do I just go through each week and see what my son knows and if he doesnt know something I teach it to him as we go along? Or is there something I should be doing beforehand?

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!
    Last edited by MelissaS; 01-23-2015, 05:17 PM.

Melissa,
    You have great questions...ones that are exactly a big part of why this forum is such a great way to connect with fellow homeschoolers, and even real, live MP folks that actually listen, respond, tweak, and correct when we find things like you did. So it is helpful to everybody to bring these things up!

I cannot speak to the LP's, as I do not currently have a first grader. But I am sure an answer will come from other folks....

I did want to reassure you about the first grade math. I believe you mentioned you are working with your oldest, and are therefore going through all of this for the first time. There is definitely a learning curve. I would like to encourage you to let the learning curve naturally run its course. There are a ton of math programs out there, and you could spend the next ten years trying them all (I know, cuz I did!). If there is one thing I could offer you is to be patient with yourself while you learn to teach as a homeschooler. Regardless of your background, homeschooling is a new ballgame, and you are in the early innings. You will get the hang of it, and the best way to get really good is to stick with one thing long enough to get good at teaching it.

Of all the programs I tried, Rod and Staff is definitely the best use of our time. I am on my third time through the first grade set, and I cannot stress enough that it is all you need to do. I did have to really study the teacher's manual the first time through though, and I felt really really awkward and slow. But with time, and with actually doing it, I started to appreciate it more and more. With that being said, I do not do all that the TM says to do. I do not act like a classroom teacher, nor do we use all the drill materials it says to use. I did make them my first time through, but then as I gained experience I kept what I liked, and let the rest go.

No, the practice sheets are not scheduled in exact order, and they are not planned to directly coincide with the day's lesson. My hunch is that they use the practice sheets to do just that.....practice something not covered that particular day. If it bothers you to do it that way, you are not going to hurt anything if you choose to use the practice sheets in order...especially if that gives you less stress! With my first two who went through it, I did not even have the practice sheets!

Also, speed drills are mentioned in the TM as they are a regular facet of the R & S program, but as far as I know, MP does not schedule them for these youngsters. The procedure of doing them is described in the front of the TM, and they usually come in a perforated tablet of their own, separate from the workbooks. So you may or may not have them.

I hope this helps to clarify a few of your main points, and to encourage you to keep working with it. And ask away with more questions!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

We are doing Kindergarten but we use the same math book.

I love doing R&S math, but that is probably because I use it as a framework to build on rather than a script to follow. I understand your frustration but I think if you look at the lesson plan in the book as a suggestion rather than a script to follow it will reduce your frustration.

I look at what the goal(s) are for the lesson and then think about what is the easiest way to explain it to him. The book will say talk about the relevance of the number 2 and how there are 2 animals in the ark and I am like ... awkward, waste of time. This is a number 2, this is how you spell the word two. Here are two red blocks ( I love how easy the flannel board is), and here are 2 gems and look if you switch it around it is 2 and if they are vertical its 2 ... and see here are 2 cubes and together they make a red rod (Cuisenaire Rods). We make up all sorts of games together. Then we do the workbook pages. That usually takes a few days. But we go over the same stuff each day. We take 8 - 10 days to do 5 days in the lesson plan book, but he is a young K so I am more concerned that he get it solid than how fast we go.

I guess my point is, that I make the curriculum work for me, rather than me work the curriculum.

Comment

I recently purchased the Grade 1 Phonics and Spelling Lesson Plan. It lists 2-pg. 32 (I) for Monday Week 3 and 3-p. 39 (long a) for Tuesday Week 4. It sounds like they have updated the lessons. If you contact them they might be able to help you with a revised lesson plan.

Comment

On the math question - MP does select from the Practice Sheets out of lessons other than the lesson for that day. I am sure it isn't random - there will be something that corresponds with the lesson - or it will be for more practice. MP doesn't use all of the Practice Sheets either - which would be a bear to complete. Rod and Staff moves slowly, on purpose. At first I disliked this, and I have supplemented with other curriculum to speed things along, but have found myself going back because my child's math facts were becoming shaky.

Comment

Originally posted by pluegerman View Post
            I recently purchased the Grade 1 Phonics and Spelling Lesson Plan. It lists 2-pg. 32 (I) for Monday Week 3 and 3-p. 39 (long a) for Tuesday Week 4. It sounds like they have updated the lessons. If you contact them they might be able to help you with a revised lesson plan.
            Hmm, I was told I had the latest edition. I guess I need to ask them.

What does your lesson plan say for Week 4 Tuesday under Classical Phonics? Mine says: pp.44-45(long a); p.74(ai,ay), but that last one should be p 73, not 74. Is that how yours is or not?

Comment

pluegerman here under another username. Yes for classical phonics mine matches yours for Tuesday Week 4 - it lists pg. 74 but it should be 73. I put down the Core Skills Phonics reference in my last post for Tuesday by mistake. It is odd that our Monday Week 3 - was different. Seems like I saw an old post about this I will try to find. When did you purchase?

Comment

The thread titled "2014 red spiral First Grade Lesson Plans" mentions a version in August that had wrong page numbers for Core Skills Phonics off by 4 page numbers. Since you have p. 36 and mine had p. 32 - maybe that is the problem??

Comment

Originally posted by S.Plueger View Post
                  The thread titled "2014 red spiral First Grade Lesson Plans" mentions a version in August that had wrong page numbers for Core Skills Phonics off by 4 page numbers. Since you have p. 36 and mine had p. 32 - maybe that is the problem??
                  I had the red spiral one, but it was replaced with a black spiral one, which I was told was the latest one. Hmmm.

I was starting Week 5 right now and another error for Monday under Phonics it says "Core Skills 2 pp 51-52(long o), but those pages reference long e. Confusing.

Comment

When I am in the office on Wednesday and have all the first grade phonics in front of me, I can reply to this post with some authority. Thank you for your patience! I wanted to be sure and respond so you would know we are looking into the discrepancy.

It is on my short list of things to do!

Blessings,
                    Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                      When I am in the office on Wednesday and have all the first grade phonics in front of me, I can reply to this post with some authority. Thank you for your patience! I wanted to be sure and respond so you would know we are looking into the discrepancy.

It is on my short list of things to do!

Blessings,
                      Michelle T
                      Thank Michelle. I talked to another MP homeschooler on a FB group and she had the same errors. She told me yesterday she talked to someone at MP and they apparently updated the lesson plans and are sending her a new one. This would be the third update. I have the red spiral that first that had SRA Phonics in it, and now I have the black spiral bound that has the Core Skills Phonics in it that was the latest update. Can you confirm if there is a newer one? I bought the curriculum package off another homeschooler that didnt even use it for a couple weeks because she is having health issues and had to put her kids in traditional school. How would I go about getting an upated one if I didnt orginally purchase it?

Thank you for your help again!

Comment

MelissaS,

The mistake you mentioned in Week 3 should be page 32. It sounds as if you have an older guide. If you will contact [email protected] they will get an updated version to you as soon as possible.

The page in Classical Phonics was off by one when I checked and we have noted the error (good catch)! That fix will show as such on the next round of printing. You have the freedom to wait until then to get your updated guide or go ahead and get a new one now. We always appreciate notification of discrepancies in our books and guides. Please accept our apologies.

Blessings,
                        Michelle T
                        Last edited by Michael; 01-28-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

MelissaS,

I forgot to mention that the color of the spiral on the book is of no consequence. The binders use whatever color is at hand.

Blessings,
                          Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                            MelissaS,

The mistake you mentioned in Week 3 should be page 32. It sounds as if you have an older guide. If you will contact [email protected] they will get an updated version to you as soon as possible.

The page in Classical Phonics was off by one when I checked and we have noted the error (good catch)! That fix will show as such on the next round of printing. You have the freedom to wait until then to get your updated guide or go ahead and get a new one now. We always appreciate notification of discrepancies in our books and guides. Please accept our apologies.

Blessings,
                            Michelle T
                            Thank you Michelle. I will send the email.

Comment

Working...
                            X