Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transitioning from Eclectic to Full MP

Hello!

I will attempt to make this post less jumbled than my poor brain. My oldest daughter turned 5 in August and we began doing All About Reading level 1 and Saxon Math 1, with Classical Conversations for our enrichment/fellowship. After a very challenging season with hospital stays and a loss, I felt like we needed something structured and "complete," so my mother was kind enough to order MP Kindergarten for us to really focus. However, dd1 was much farther in AAR 1 than where First Start Reading began (although the handwriting has been perfect for her), and Rod & Staff math was somewhat behind where we were, too. We continued doing our phonics and some math, and followed the rest of the MP guide for the Core Skills workbooks, Bible, art, etc., but I either felt like I was doubling up too much, or just ended up doing our old phonics and math and wouldn't get to MP at all, and it is far too rich and organized to waste!

In the meantime, dd2 started the Junior K package after her December birthday (she's 4), but seems to only want to zip through workbook pages way beyond the schedule because she doesn't understand multum non multa (lol). I don't know if that's a readiness issue or a discipline/structure issue.

In my mind, I'd like to just "start over," but here it is the end of January in our first year of homeschooling. I haven't pressured too much because dd1 was a young 5 and didn't have to do kindergarten this year, but with her reading she's obviously been ready for that portion. I think big picture, and I'm worried this is setting the tone for our entire homeschooling journey if I don't just choose something and commit to it to see how it integrates and builds incrementally, which I know MP does beautifully.

So, my question is, what is the best way to proceed toward eventually doing MP First Grade and my youngest doing K either next January or the following Fall when she's closer to 6 (too soon to really tell what she'll be ready for at this age). It seems if you substitute phonics and math out of MP K-2, you're cutting out a large portion of the program! We have less than 10 lessons left before we finish AAR 1, and I don't know whether to just give her more practice out of the Core Skills 2nd grade workbook, focus on practice in the readers, or just go through First Start Reading as review and really master her CVC words before first grade.

Hmmm...this is still pretty jumbled. But I know most of you have probably been here at least once and will hopefully graciously offer advice!

In Christ,

Jessica

It sounds like you've had a difficult fall and winter, I am truly sorry. Please take this advice with a grain of salt--you know your family best and I'm sure you'll find something that is a good rhythm for you all in this season of life. I'm also sure you'll get plenty of great ideas here! On the easy side of the spectrum, you could probably just keep on with what you're doing and land in MP 1st in the fall with no problem. My second child came from Sonlight Core C/Explode the Code/Saxon 1/Miquon as a Ker into MP 1st and thrived. I think MP 1 is an easy entry point.

Another option (this would be my preference) is starting at the beginning of the K package now and work on an accelerated pace, perhaps two days of math/FSR/Copybook/Recitation work each day. If your oldest is doing well with reading and sums to 5 she's probably about "half way" through MP K anyway. You could go double time until you hit a bump, then slow down. Remember the enrichment is just that, enrichment. You can keep that at a "regularly scheduled" clip of M-F regardless of what you are doing with phonics and math. Week 16 is a good place to start on that as it is post-Christmas and wintery and ramping up for the coming of spring. A lot depends on whether or not you see yourself in MP for the long haul. As a mom of very young children you might not know that yet. If you intend to use it for K-2, you could go ahead and dip your toes in and see how it goes. It will be awkward at first, of course, but you can laugh and make it fun and just take each day as it comes.

I look forward to hearing from others as well. Best wishes as you make choices!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me: Third Form Summer Intensive MPOA

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Jessica,

I remember wanting to have our entire homeschool journey mapped out for us when my first two were your daughters' ages. I even had a chart for all twelve years, with books filled in! Of course things have changed a lot since then, and if MP had been ready, I would not have needed to do that, but I was excited and nervous and wanted to know the big picture right then!

As great as the big picture is, especially with MP, it seems as though it may be making right now very difficult for you. Your girls are so very young, and whatever choices you have made until now are all part of the beginning of this homeschool journey. Beginnings are hard, and homeschooling is no different. It sounds like you have had a lot of "real life" going on while trying to figure out homeschooling at the same time. We had a year or two like that ourselves, especially when we had our fourth daughter, who was very ill and needed open-heart surgery when she was 11 weeks old. I had to remember to go easier on myself, and lower our expectations....there is only so much you can handle!

So try to accept where you are, and just make some plans for the rest of this year, and where you might be at the beginning of next year. For instance, your younger daughter is still a bit young to really need to finish the preK program. If she does, then you will be tempted to put her into the K program at 4, which makes her very very young for the later grades. Maybe just shelve her materials, let her join in for listening to whatever you are doing with her sister, and remove some of your worry for her.

For your older daughter, an August five is not a bad time to be doing K, especially since you have the time to really focus on her. I have an August five right now, and K has been a really good fit. So maybe choose to focus on really completing the K package well, and then she will be in good shape to move on to first in the fall. You seem like MP is the way you want to go, so while AAR is working well (as many products do), right now, it is serving to distract you from being on a track that you really want to be on. It may be best to make your choice, and stick with it, having a bit of the big picture in mind (but not too much!). Hopefully, it would bring some focus to your place right now to just have a couple plans in place.

I wish you all the best, and hope you will keep us posted on how things go!
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

You've been given some good advice so far. I just wanted to add that we also came to MP after doing Saxon math and a different phonics. Even though the math seemed like it was going to be too easy, it ended up being a perfect fit and we all enjoyed the thorough review and mastery of concepts that we had been introduced to in Saxon.

Since there is quite a bit of writing required in MP compared to some other programs, I definitely recommend not skipping anything in K in order to best prepare for first grade. I have found that there is so much ease of mind by following the curriculum as written instead of substituting too many things. Of course you have freedom to do whatever you want to do in your homeschool! For us, though, it really simplified life when I gave up our separate programs and embraced the simplicity of following MP fully.

Comment

Truth, Beauty, and Goodness on an Ordinary Wednesday

Thank you so much for your encouraging, thoughtful replies. It was just the gentle nudge I (we) needed. Today, God showed us that Memoria Press has just about everything we are looking for--or rather, our morning looked the way I had envisioned an ideal day in my head for so long. I finally saw that it can happen, without reinventing the wheel. I adore the Circe Institute and reading different philosophies, as well as Charlotte Mason's works. But I could read and plan and dream forever and never actually implement. That's where MP so beautifully bridges the gap between dream to reality for me. I've known it for quite some time (just ask Cheryl Swope how long she kindly talked me through a plan in Greenville a year ago), but always fall into the trap of struggling with contentment, perfection, and then procrastination. Those are all things I am confident God will guide me through, and I'm sure He is shaking his head at how long I've resisted committing to this curriculum. Thankfully our girls are only 5 and 4, but it's time to get serious before I blink and they're 10 and 9!

So today, both girls LOVED recitation, and there is some overlap between Junior K and K (brilliant), so they enjoyed helping each other while also having their own "special" memory work. My four-year-old learned that she can talk to God anytime she wants, and launched into a five minute, incredibly insightful, conversation with Him. We found songs to go along with The House That Jack Built while we wait for the library to get it, and found an awesome You Tube recording of Woody Guthrie singing This Land is Your Land (complete with background static). DD4 said he sounds just like the minstrel in Disney's Robin Hood. We did Rod & Staff math with dd5 and she wanted to do all of her Copybook in one day for Genesis 3:1. We read several fairy tales after lunch and they are learning them by heart, and my daughter made a card for one of her Awana teachers tonight without my prompting.

None of this is to boast, by the way, but to share with delight! I'm reliving the morning so I can commit it to memory: it truly can be this simple. God is their true teacher, and it was very enlightening to see how many things came up today that weren't from me "teaching." Memoria Press is definitely written in a way that inspires, delights, and moves. It is a privilege to have such incredible materials with which to homeschool. It makes my day more joyful and gives me confidence that I can do this.

In Christ,

Jessica

Comment

Jessica,

Thanks for sharing your great day....glad to hear of it!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+