Question for choosing curriculum for 5th grade new to MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for choosing curriculum for 5th grade new to MP

Hello! So glad to have found this thread and MP! I have a 4th grade son that we are homeschooling for the first time this year. He previously attended a private Christian school. This year has definitely been a learning year in regards to what curriculum we like. Long story short, I am trying to switch to all MP for next year, but I have a few questions regarding where to go in hopes of being more on track for 6th grade. We are currently doing States and capitals, Christian Studies I, and Greek myths. We have also completed a couple of the 4th grade literature guides. My question concerns classical studies for next year. Is Famous Men of Rome considered vital in the long run? Or can I go ahead and skip to Famous Men of the Middle Ages? He is really excited about the 5th grade literature, so I wanted to have some kind of common thread going. Should I attempt to cover FMOR this year as a read-a-loud? I don't think I could add it in with the student guide right now without overwhelming ourselves.

Also, I plan to continue with Geography I next year. I'm not sure how to fit Geography II in before middle school when US history begins. Any thoughts there? I will begin LC I next year, too. Do I need to start with the first book in the Grammar recitation, or go ahead and start at the correct grade level?

Thank you in advance for help! Have a great day.

We have similar situations going on. This is my second year homeschooling after pulling kiddos from Catholic school. It has been an adjustment but I must say, using mostly all MP this year after a hodge podge has been so much smoother. My son is currently in 5th, and we too are trying to get him up to speed for upper level classical studies. From the suggestions of other experienced forum members, Greek Myths and FFR are great preps for coming I at a later level. Our current plan is to continue myths, cs1 (with 3rd grade sis) and listen to FMR on librovox while following along in book..then just discussing after.

Regarding Latin, both my 5th and 3rd are doing LC1 together and doing wonderfully. Seeing how well he had done this year, I am confident he would have been fine starting First Form no problem. I just had them both start with LC1 for my own sake of teaching. The DVD has been a wondeful teaching aid if you are interested. We also like the Ludere books for practice.

Geography curriculum, although very effective, is fairly simple and easy to teach. It doesn't take much time. You could possibly cover both books next year. Or just go through at your own pace and start 6th modern studies when you are complete. Beauty of homeschooling is you have time! No rush to fit it all in. I say this but I truly understand the pressure to stay on pace

Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Katie

DS 17: Senior!
    DD 14: 10th
    DD 10: 6th
    Twin DD's 8: 3rd
    Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

I forgot..regarding EGR..my fifth grader started with book 1 this year and our plan is to do book 2 next. We will jump into R&S grade level when he is finished with the EGR's. I am not super concerned with grammar at this point. With all the writing, classical composition, and the awesome grammar they get from the Latin, I don't stress about being on level with grammar.
      Katie

DS 17: Senior!
      DD 14: 10th
      DD 10: 6th
      Twin DD's 8: 3rd
      Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Thank you, Katie.
        I was hoping I could cover Geography I and II in one year! The states and capitals book has been very easy, and I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be a problem to catch up with that.

I am planning using the DVD's for LCI, as I have no background in Latin! I don't mind starting simple and working our way up. I guess I will start with the first grammar book as well. He has a very good grasp on English grammar up to this point, so like yourself, I'm not too worried about that.

I guess I'm still on the fence about FMR. Ideally I would like to cover it, but I really want to start FMMA next year because of the literature.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hello.

You will be fine skipping Famous Men of Rome if you can't work it in. If your son is excited about the Middle Ages, then I would definitely go with that! It can be a magical year. My recommendation for Famous Men of Rome is to read it in the summer sometime before middle school. The stories are interesting and fun. This will be a good introduction to Roman history before reading Mills' History of the Ancient Romans and Vergil's Aeneid. But there is no rush getting this done.

And for geography, Geography I is the most important because it is a study of the areas of the world that are covered most in classical history: the Middle East, No. Africa, and Europe. You would be better off doing Geography I well rather than rushing through both courses in a year. But if you have the time and a motivated student, he would be able to complete both courses. They aren't all that time-consuming to teach. It's just a lot of material to master mapping the entire world in one year. If you only get Geography I completed next year, you can always work on the rest of the world in Geography III in middle school.

I just thought I'd add those thoughts to the very good answers you've already received!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you, Tanya. That helps a lot in making decisions!

Comment

Working...
            X