5th Grade Literature for 8th grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th Grade Literature for 8th grade

I am thinking ahead to next year. Not sure why but just wondering if I have messed up or not.

My son is a 7th grader this year, he has always been homeschooled using Sonlight or other various things. We are switching to classical this year. This year we are working on the classical studies Greek Myths and Famous Men of Greece, than also working on the 6th grade literature Trojan War, Bronze Bow, etc...

My original plan when starting this venture was to make a goal of using the 7th grade package for 9th grade. So for 7th and 8th grade I was going to do two classical studies a year and than pick and choose from the elementary literary guides. Than use the appropriate level of Latin and Composition that he is at. So far so good, but now I am second guessing using the 5th grade literature for next year when we do the Famous Men of Rome and Famous Men of Middle Ages. Is this going to be too far beneath him. I do have him read other challenging books. My focus on these 7th and 8th grade years was exposure to the curriculum and getting into a routine. I don't mind if he ends up only being able to complete the 10th grade Memoria Press curriculum by the time he graduates. It seems quite challenging.

I guess when I was planning this all out it seemed like a good idea to combine Greek Myths with Famous Men of Greece and do the 6th grade literature and than do the Famous Men of Rome and Famouns Men of Middle Ages with the 5th grade literature. It seems to line up better theme wise, but maybe I should have switched this around. I guess there is no going back, this is what we are doing this year. But, is the literature going to be too easy or maybe that doesn't matter if it is. I don't mind adding in more literature for him to read on his own that would be more challenging. We wouldn't have a guide for it but it would just be books he is reading.

Any thoughts or encouragement would be appreciated.

ETA: I guess I was thinking I should skip Famous Men of Rome and Famous Men of Middles ages and the 5th grade literature and just start him with the 7th grade curriculum package for 8th grade. I hate for him to miss out on the King Arthur and Robin Hood book and also learning about Rome and Middle Ages, but I guess that will be covered again later. We can read Story of the World to just get a grasp of those time periods and maybe he can just read those books in that literature package for extra reading. I also don't like the idea of doing Greece stuff this year and also next year, I like the idea of having the Rome and Middle Ages as a buffer before beginning Greece again, if that makes sense. So I guess I am wondering should I continue my original plan or would it be better to move forward in 8th grade with the 7th grade curriculum package and progress from there?
    Nancy Ann
    Last edited by Nancy Ann; 11-25-2014, 01:38 PM.

Hello.

I think your plan is a solid one. The 5th grade lit. should be challenging enough. Adam of the Road is the easiest selection, but the others are fine for middle school. And Adam is full of Middle Ages terminology and culture, so it is worth reading as an introduction to the Middle Ages. You should consider having your student complete the study guides as an additional challenge. Doing 2 classical studies courses in a year is extra work, so I think you are doing plenty of work here. Sounds like fun to me! I'd go forward without questioning yourself further. You've done a good job.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hello.

I think your plan is a solid one. The 5th grade lit. should be challenging enough. Adam of the Road is the easiest selection, but the others are fine for middle school. And Adam is full of Middle Ages terminology and culture, so it is worth reading as an introduction to the Middle Ages. You should consider having your student complete the study guides as an additional challenge. Doing 2 classical studies courses in a year is extra work, so I think you are doing plenty of work here. Sounds like fun to me! I'd go forward without questioning yourself further. You've done a good job.

Tanya
      Thanks Tanya, I feel much better and I do like my plan so thanks for the extra boost in confidence! I love the guides so will be for sure using those for the literature than.
      Nancy Ann
      Last edited by Nancy Ann; 11-25-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I like the sound of your original plan. The 5th grade study guides can be made more challenging by requiring more indepth written answers, doing all the enrichment and adding in some essays. You can also move through them faster and then add on one or two of the books that got dropped from the core (Robinson Crusoe and one of the Shakespeare books) which are certainly 8th grade level or beyond. There are nice MP study guides for those books, but they are not currently in any core package.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
        DS, 21, Physics and math major
        DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
        DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
        DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Yay for not overthinking! I am glad you are encouraged, and wanted to pass along a suggestion. If you have not read David Wright's article, "Taking With Us What Matters," it is a great mini-tutorial on Upper School Literature. It may give you some ideas for your eighth grader. Here's the link:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/taking-us-what-matters

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7