K, 2, & 3 Updates/Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K, 2, & 3 Updates/Changes

I have three moving on to Curriculum Guides K, 2nd and 3rd in the next few weeks and months. It looks like there’s been some changes since I first purchased the Cores and I’m not real sure what I need to update and where we are good. I had ordered their consumables in the spring (or earlier) and it looks like the Spelling and Enrichment Guides are new from the sets I have already.

I have the Rod & Staff Spelling 4 for my 3rd grader, and the MP Spelling List in the guide for 2nd grade. Should I purchase the Spelling Workout instead and get new guides? How are the Enrichment Guides different from the Literature/Enrichment sections on the original core guides? Do I need to order all three, just one or skip it altogether?

As far as the modified schedule for 3rd grade, I’m thinking of going forward with the original set of lesson plans as this child should actually be in 4th grade and he’s already been reading some of the Greek Myths and loves Astronomy. I didn’t get “What is a Mammal?” so do I need to order that book?

Also, I thought that I saw another book list for the 3rd grade guide. Or was that for the modified lessons?

As a side note, I’ve been checking out (from the library) the Science and Read-Aloud selections in the 2nd grade manual, and all three have been working on 2nd grade Art Cards. I was thinking of moving on to the Kinder Art Cards and checking out the Kinder read-alouds and Science selections, as well as some of the third grade selections (if I can keep up). Is there anything else that I am missing? Thanks for the input.

Kami

Kami,

What I understand from your post is that you purchased kits for K, 2 and 3 grades. We changed our phonics/spelling a little this year and it depends on when you purchased your kits as to what you received. The kindergarten kit did not change this year other than one read-aloud selection in the enrichment. That book change would only matter if you ordered the read a-loud set in which case we can send you a link to the pdf lesson plans for that week.

For second and third grade we did switch to Spelling Work Out. You have the freedom to use the guides you already have or you can purchase the new SWO program for both grades. If you decide to use the SWO for 2nd grade I suggest you also get the new phonics program to accompany it.

Your third grader will get plenty of science with the study of astronomy. However, if you wish to add that book on mammals it is a good one. We don't yet have lessons for it but if you purchase the set, when we get those complete we will send them to you at no charge.

I am partial to the kindergarten art cards! They are great for any age as an introduction to the artists and art periods. If you get the enrichment guide, it includes additional lessons to accompany not only the art cards but also the music and poetry selections as well.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

Kami,

You probably don't have the 2nd grade enrichment guide that we started shipping this summer, so if you need that, let us know, and we'll send it to you. Did you not get the K and 1st grade enrichment guides when you bought your core originally? Those have been out awhile. Probably the easiest thing for you to do is call our office and talk to Jessica. She can look your orders up and see what you need to update your sets.

There is a new set of American history novels and biographies for 3rd grade, but it is merely a supplemental list of books we feel will give students an introduction to American history. They should be on a reading level that students can read independently, so it wouldn't be any extra work for you. And this is not a part of our core program; we just thought it would be nice to make some suggestions since we are studying geography in grades 3-5 and don't get to American history until 6th grade.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Ladies!

Very helpful! Happy Thanksgiving!

Kami

Comment

Working...
        X