New to MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MP

We have just bought the MP complete curriculum for 6th Grade and 4th Grade, it looks very promising. I have many questions, so I thought I'd list them in bullet point style to hopefully make for easier reading:

1. How much time should we daily plan for each subject for the 6th grade curriculum? (The "6th Grade Curriculum Lesson Plans" booklet does not contain a suggested schedule, the 4th grade one does.)
    2. Would it be best to teach Latin Christiana I to both students at the same time, or should the 6th grader start with Latin I? (This is my first time doing Latin too.) The Latin Christiana seems like it may be too simplistic for my 6th grader, but I'm not sure. I'm concerned about keeping up with reading aloud to both of them, following along with their Latin, and teaching them Math.
    3. We have also never done recitation before, where do we start given that both kids are a bit older and have been ALP students up till now?
    4. Any suggestions for which subjects to begin with never having done a Classical Education model before?
    5.Which subjects require the most time, energy, thought and preparation?
    6. In the fourth lesson grade lesson plan, it instructs to read "Ben and Me" by Robert Lawson. Was this supposed to be included in the core curriculum package, or is this a book we need to purchase or take out the library?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hello and welcome! You have a lot of great questions, and hopefully we will be able to get them all addressed for you!

First, I have a question of my own...I am not aware of what ALP is exactly...my guess is that stands for Accelerated Learning Plan, or something similar? If that is the case, I would say that MP's curriculum will probably be a really nice fit for them. The curriculum is rigorous, and rich...lots to learn, and lots to practice. They actually get rewarded for their hard work because they actually know material, so that provides even more motivation to continue working hard.

As to your questions, here is a start:
    1. Time. For sixth grade, my expectation would be between four to five hours of dedicated work per day. Once your sixth grader has been taught how the courses need to be done, there is a lot of work that is done independently, and you should be encouraging that. I currently have a fifth grader and an eighth grader who fall into this same time bracket. They each work for about four hours, and then each need about an hour with me on top of that independent time. I am schooling five, so I try to give them each at least an hour each day. Sometimes they don't need a whole hour, sometimes they need more. A fourth grader would be a bit less in total time (4 hours or so), but with part of that being time with you.

2. Since you are new to Latin as well, and they are close enough in age, I would suggest having all three of you do Latina Christiana together. You all need the introduction, and LC is very good for exactly that. I did the same when we took our first Latin step when my oldest was in fifth. It has been great! Try not to be in a hurry. Lay a great beginning foundation, learn to love Latin, and you all will be more likely to continue.

3. Recitation. By all means, yes, do recitation! I love recitation time! It has become the surprise hit in our family! Even my oldest said she is bummed she never got to do it...so she is trying to stealthily learn her siblings recitations from them! It is such a great way to solidify material as they learn it. Just take your time. Again, don't be in a hurry. You have so much time for them to master it. A side benefit is that your sixth grader can catch a lot of material the fourth grader is doing that he/she missed.

4. Suggestion for beginning...yes! Latin! Latin (and also Greek!) is the center of a classical education. So definitely get Latin going. The best way to love Latin is to over-memorize it. When you can chant it like the abcs or 123s you have it about right! After that, I would suggest making sure you are familiar with the Greek gods by reading D'Aulaire's Greek Myths. Your sixth grader will be reading the Iliad and the Odyssey next year, and having that familiarity with the gods will be really valuable. Those are just a couple to start.

5. Great question. The prep time is minimal on a day to day basis, because MP is wonderfully consistent in its teaching methods and principles. Every subject requires a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the expectations and the assignments. But once you do that as you are beginning, then you simply continue to execute. MP really has taken the guesswork out of "what do we have to do today". If you spend some time with your teachers manuals, really learning what you are doing, my hope is always that the first week will be your slowest, your second week will be a bit better, your third week will be pretty good...and by the fourth week you are rolling.

6. I am not familiar with where that is in the fourth grade plan...so I am going to guess it is an enrichment book, that was added into the lesson plans. I could be wrong though.

I hope that my answers are a start for you, and that we can all be a good help to you as you get started!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Hello.

We are adding a supplemental set of American history biographies and novels to the curriculum guides, and we will be selling the sets just like our read-alouds. We decided to do this because we don't cover American history until 6th grade since we spend 3rd-5th grades on geography. These books have been chosen differently from the read-alouds in that they are on a reading level that should be comfortable for independent reading in these grades. They are totally optional, and you don't have to use our selections. We just scheduled them into the lesson plans for those people who would like to have a schedule and a list of good books already chosen for them. We feel like students will get a good background in the culture and major events in American history just by doing this enjoyable reading. Then, when they hit an American history survey course in 6th grade, it will be familiar territory.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your reply and all your suggestions, they are all very helpful. ALP stands for 'Advanced Learning Program'. We tried Latin Christiana today, and I think it's going to work well to do it all together. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the teacher guides and instructions in the lesson plan, and I think you're right, it will just take a few weeks to get used to what is required in each subject. This is our fourth year homeschooling (virtual public school up till now), but this is a very different curriculum to what we have done previously.

Thanks again for taking the time to write back to me as we are on a learning curve, I really appreciate it.
        Leigh-Anne

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          Hello.

We are adding a supplemental set of American history biographies and novels to the curriculum guides, and we will be selling the sets just like our read-alouds. We decided to do this because we don't cover American history until 6th grade since we spend 3rd-5th grades on geography. These books have been chosen differently from the read-alouds in that they are on a reading level that should be comfortable for independent reading in these grades. They are totally optional, and you don't have to use our selections. We just scheduled them into the lesson plans for those people who would like to have a schedule and a list of good books already chosen for them. We feel like students will get a good background in the culture and major events in American history just by doing this enjoyable reading. Then, when they hit an American history survey course in 6th grade, it will be familiar territory.

Regards,

Tanya
          Thank you so much Tanya, that is helpful to know. I have another question about Latina Christiana. When it says to do history on day 2 (in the teacher manual front pages), is it referring to Famous Men of Rome (Classical Studies), or is there something more that we should be looking at?

Leigh-Anne

Comment

Glad to hear you are having good steps so far. Just wanted to add...I love your name! My sister's is spelled Leanne....probably one of the names with the most different spellings ever! She named her daughter with Leigh as her middle name.

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Hi, Leigh-Anne.

LCI was written before we had a study guide for FMR. You can ignore those history teaching guidelines and the history sections in LCI now. You will study Roman history separately with the Famous Men of Rome study guides as long as you are using our curriculum packages. Sometimes, coops have Latin classes that stand alone, and those teachers will use FMR alongside LCI, but most people do the FMR study guides now rather than the questions in LCI.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                Glad to hear you are having good steps so far. Just wanted to add...I love your name! My sister's is spelled Leanne....probably one of the names with the most different spellings ever! She named her daughter with Leigh as her middle name.

AMDG,
                Sarah
                Thank you Sarah!! I am thrilled with the new curriculum, but we are learning a lot about which books to pull, what is required and more besides this week. I'm sure you have done it all too. Thank you again for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                  Hi, Leigh-Anne.

LCI was written before we had a study guide for FMR. You can ignore those history teaching guidelines and the history sections in LCI now. You will study Roman history separately with the Famous Men of Rome study guides as long as you are using our curriculum packages. Sometimes, coops have Latin classes that stand alone, and those teachers will use FMR alongside LCI, but most people do the FMR study guides now rather than the questions in LCI.

Regards,

Tanya
                  That all makes better sense now, thanks for taking the time to let me know. From what I can tell at this early stage, the books in this curriculum are presented and written very well. I think we are going to love it.

Leigh-Anne

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                    Hello and welcome! You have a lot of great questions, and hopefully we will be able to get them all addressed for you!

First, I have a question of my own...I am not aware of what ALP is exactly...my guess is that stands for Accelerated Learning Plan, or something similar? If that is the case, I would say that MP's curriculum will probably be a really nice fit for them. The curriculum is rigorous, and rich...lots to learn, and lots to practice. They actually get rewarded for their hard work because they actually know material, so that provides even more motivation to continue working hard.

As to your questions, here is a start:
                    1. Time. For sixth grade, my expectation would be between four to five hours of dedicated work per day. Once your sixth grader has been taught how the courses need to be done, there is a lot of work that is done independently, and you should be encouraging that. I currently have a fifth grader and an eighth grader who fall into this same time bracket. They each work for about four hours, and then each need about an hour with me on top of that independent time. I am schooling five, so I try to give them each at least an hour each day. Sometimes they don't need a whole hour, sometimes they need more. A fourth grader would be a bit less in total time (4 hours or so), but with part of that being time with you.

2. Since you are new to Latin as well, and they are close enough in age, I would suggest having all three of you do Latina Christiana together. You all need the introduction, and LC is very good for exactly that. I did the same when we took our first Latin step when my oldest was in fifth. It has been great! Try not to be in a hurry. Lay a great beginning foundation, learn to love Latin, and you all will be more likely to continue.

3. Recitation. By all means, yes, do recitation! I love recitation time! It has become the surprise hit in our family! Even my oldest said she is bummed she never got to do it...so she is trying to stealthily learn her siblings recitations from them! It is such a great way to solidify material as they learn it. Just take your time. Again, don't be in a hurry. You have so much time for them to master it. A side benefit is that your sixth grader can catch a lot of material the fourth grader is doing that he/she missed.

4. Suggestion for beginning...yes! Latin! Latin (and also Greek!) is the center of a classical education. So definitely get Latin going. The best way to love Latin is to over-memorize it. When you can chant it like the abcs or 123s you have it about right! After that, I would suggest making sure you are familiar with the Greek gods by reading D'Aulaire's Greek Myths. Your sixth grader will be reading the Iliad and the Odyssey next year, and having that familiarity with the gods will be really valuable. Those are just a couple to start.

5. Great question. The prep time is minimal on a day to day basis, because MP is wonderfully consistent in its teaching methods and principles. Every subject requires a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the expectations and the assignments. But once you do that as you are beginning, then you simply continue to execute. MP really has taken the guesswork out of "what do we have to do today". If you spend some time with your teachers manuals, really learning what you are doing, my hope is always that the first week will be your slowest, your second week will be a bit better, your third week will be pretty good...and by the fourth week you are rolling.

6. I am not familiar with where that is in the fourth grade plan...so I am going to guess it is an enrichment book, that was added into the lesson plans. I could be wrong though.

I hope that my answers are a start for you, and that we can all be a good help to you as you get started!

AMDG,
                    Sarah
                    Hi again Sarah,

I wanted to thank you for your advice you gave me (see quote)...I've implemented what you shared about Latin, using Latin Christiana and doing the same course with both our children. We start each day with Latin, and it sets a wonderful tone for the rest of our time studying. It is working so well, infact it is their favorite subject at the moment! As we are working through it, it is becoming clear to me how central this subject is to many others. This new curriculum is going to completely change homeschooling for us, (in a positive way) and what a privilege to be learning together with our children!

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Leigh-Anne

Comment

Leigh-Anne,

Great to hear! Latin did that for us as well. It is the hidden gem that MP is digging back out for us.

Hope your year continues in this positive direction!
                      AMDG,
                      Sarah
                      2020-2021
                      DS, 17
                      DD, 15
                      DD, 13
                      DD, 11
                      DD, 9
                      DD, 7
                      +DS+
                      DS, 2

Comment

Hi, Leigh-Anne.

Regards,

Tanya

*****Tanya, thank you for sending this message out as it was a validation of what I had been doing around here. I am teaching my 5th and 3rd grader LC1. The 5th grader is studying FMR in his core, but the 3rd is studying Greek Mythology. Independently, on the LC1 tests so far I had excused her from the History sections on the test, but required them of my 5th grader. I am glad to know now that was perfectly ok to do. I was beating myself up a little over not being able to cover the Roman history with her--but she has her plate full with the 3rd grade core and I could not see adding that amount of memorization to her when she would be taking the course in 4th. Thanks again!!

Elizabeth
                        Elizabeth
                        Currently using 6A (DS 11), 4A (DD 9), 2 (DS 7), and Jr.K (DS almost 5)

Comment

You're welcome! Always glad to lighten the load!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                          X