Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting multiplication in R&S Math 3...tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting multiplication in R&S Math 3...tips?

Bummed because I wrote this post, then lost it. So, here's a quick redo!

Friends,
    We will be starting Lesson 41/Multiplication in R&S 3 on Monday. I can't figure out what to do with the sea creatures for the chart--tips? I've purchased a complete set of flashcards and I've been clued in to reading the problem "bottom up/multiplier first" so I know those things. What have you done from the R&S book that's been worth the time and helpful to your children? Have you made the large multiplier chart shown on the Teacher's Manual on pg 12? I'm considering making smaller ones on card stock.
    Any tips you can give are great!
    Warmly,
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Hey P&G! I pulled out my TM this evening to double check your question. I have to say I have been similarly perplexed by the sea creature chart description. Even the daily lessons in the TM do not see to say what you actually do with it. So I have never made it, even in small form.

I do use page 13 from the TM all the time...I keep a post it there to get to it easily. While they are learning the facts, which is really for the rest of the year, I refer to that for daily drill. They always practice at least two or three different sets. When they are new, they have to say the whole row between three or five times. Then once they somewhat know it, they say a row twice through while looking at the answers, and then a final time with the answers covered up. I let them recite them seeing the answers for a super long time. This is the year to really master them, so that is what we do.

For my gang, this has been the main drill. I like it because it is very convenient, it is all on one page, they go through a good amount of drill at a pretty fast clip....again, very efficient. Teaching them to skip count is also fun. We had a cd of that from a long time ago, with skip count songs, and settng the skip counts to musical tunes seems to be fun for them.

Hths!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    Last edited by KF2000; 10-18-2014, 09:04 AM.
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Great tip on using page 13! Thank you, Sarah!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

sea creatures!

Jessica,
        Reading your question took me back....
        When I discovered R&S math, my oldest was going into 5th grade, but he was only ready for the 3rd grade book. I was determined to do EVERYTHING, so that he would at last learn math. We worked through the summers and by 9th grade he was ready for algebra.

So I DID make the sea creatures chart, just as described, and posted it in the dining room. For every lesson from 41 on, we used the chart and the chant to learn the facts. (Lesson 41 introduces the 1's; Lesson 43 the 2's; Lesson 47 the 3's, etc.)

When it was all said and done though, he still had to sit down and memorize his facts. I think Sarah's use of the chart on p.13 is just as effective. The visual benefit of the sea creatures and the idea of the waves rolling in and sweeping things up in groups was not that powerful. Learning multiplication facts is strictly memory work, IMO. We finally told him he would get to pick a movie for the whole family to go see when he mastered his multiplication facts. Sure enough, he did, and we all went to see "Cars" at the theater. That is still a fond memory.

Requiring students to memorize the facts in 3rd and 4th grade is of tremendous benefit. I occasionally get a high school student coming for tutoring in algebra. I often see a correlation between not having their multiplication and addition facts mastered, and being unable to progress in high school math. I then assign the remediation of learning their 7's facts (or 8's or 9's, whatever is lacking). So much better to learn while they are young!

Sorry for this trip down memory lane. I don't think the sea creatures chart is necessary for home teaching.
        Blessings!
        Cindy
        Cindy Davis
        Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
        ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
        ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
        dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

My daughter who completed the 3rd grade program last year at HLS said they did not use the sea creature chart in her classroom. When introducing and memorizing the facts any method that works with your child is good. The end goal is memorization. So whether it is a chart, a chant or a song, find what works with your child and go with it!

If the sea creature chart works, great! Sounds like you already put in the prep work.

Blessings,
          Michelle T

Comment

Thanks all!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

DD 7th • HLN & Home
            DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Working...
            X