Eighth Grade Literature setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eighth Grade Literature setup

I figured I could have emailed Tanya, but then no one would benefit from the response from me.

With the 8th grade literature there is sporadic reading of the book of the Middle Ages. Is this just reading? Is it intended that they would do the workbook as well? It is my assumption it's just reading, and that in 9th grade we will reread the Book of the Middle Ages while doing the workbook and tests.

Once the poetry and prose workbook comes out, is that intended to be done with the reading selections during 8th grade literature?

Thanks,

Trevor

I'm not sure about a guide to the poetry and prose, but the middle ages book is just read through without the workbook. I wish there were a workbook for the poetry this year. I loved having that last year when we worked through the seventh grade poetry.
    4 boys
    5th: MP Core 4 with MUS Epsilon
    7th: MP 7th MUS Pre-Algebra
    11th: This year seems like a mess now that he has done all of the MP cores.
    College Freshman at Maine Maritime Academy: started MP courses way back in 5th grade
    All: MP co-op on Wednesday

Comment

Hello.

We actually never complete the study guide for the Book of the Middle Ages because we don't have a place for it in our curriculum. Reading through it with 8th grade literature is a review for students since they are studying that time period. And for 11th grade Christian Studies, students revisit the Middle Ages when they read C. Warren Hollister's Medieval Europe.

The 9th grade poetry guide should be completed by December if all goes well. If you want to wait for it, you could just skip the poetry for now and move through the novels until it is completed.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Do you mean the 8th grade poetry guide?
        4 boys
        College Freshman at Maine Maritime Academy: started MP courses way back in 5th grade

Comment

Sorry. Yes. I mean the 8th grade poetry guide. Then on to 9th grade!

Tanya

Comment

Whew, that confused me for a second. I was thinking...wait a minute...I HAVE the Middle Ages Study guide.

So to recap on Middle Ages

During 8th grade lit, read Book of the Middles Ages as the guide suggests.

During 9th grade, Do Book of the Middle Ages with Student book as part of Classical Studies.

Poetry Recap:

During 8th grade lit, read poetry selections as the guide suggests (once Student book comes out we can do the that)

During 9th grade, Will poetry will be done in full? Will we duplicate any work there?

Thanks,

Trevor

Comment

Trevor,

We aren't using the Book of the Middle Ages Study Guide at all in our packages. We are merely reading the book in literature in 8th grade. For 9th grade classical studies, we read Greek tragedies. So, if you are following our curriculum you will never return to Book of the Middle Ages. But that doesn't mean you have to skip it just because we do!

There is an entirely different poetry anthology for 9th grade. And when we do the lit. guides for 9th grade, we will also be working on a poetry guide for that 9th grade anthology.

Sorry to have confused you!

Tanya

Comment

I will just add that my 10th grader is working through the 8th grade literature, and he is completing the Middle Ages guide along with the reading just to increase the credit worthiness. On the days that the Middle Ages book is scheduled there is no other written work scheduled.
                4 boys

Comment

Working...
                X