Jumping to 1st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping to 1st?

F has read through with ease all the EPS Red and Blue sets. Copywork is going well. {I made my own.} Little Bear has been read repeatedly. Can she move to MP 1 now even though we will have not covered the first unit of R&S Math 1? Granted, this was AFTER I bought the full MP K for this year! Good thing my local store likes barely used books.

And I am a bit confused...are the new plans ready to order yet?
    Last edited by Enigma; 08-15-2014, 11:55 PM.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Enigma,

You and I are in a very similar boat. Our little one turning five next week is already reading well and can write fairly well already. In the past I would have moved her right along to first, naturally. But I am holding off this year and having her do K. What has helped with that decision is seeing my second and third graders struggle to get to everything last year. Skill-wise....sure, they could "do" each individual thing great, but the combination of trying to get to everything each day took more maturity than they had.

Now having purchased K, I am certain the same thing would have happened with first. She could have done the work, but the full load would have been a lot to expect from her. K looks just right...she will have a great year, some things will be repetitve, but I chalk that up into the , "you can never review too much" category.

That is what we are doing!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 16
    DD, 14
    DD, 12
    DD, 10
    DD, 8
    DD, 6
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Sarah is right in the fact that the jump in workload increases dramatically in 3rd grade especially. We jumped straight into 1st grade and skipped K (with no background in math). They finished 1st without any difficulties. But now, with skipping k AND homeschooling through the summers, we have very young 4th graders. They are managing the materials well and have developed stamina to be able to accomplish all that is required, but it still takes about 6 days of lessons instead of 5 per weekly scheduled plans. I do require most days that we stop school by 12-1pm so that they have plenty of time for free play. That said, we would STILL choose to skip K, but you may choose not to. I don't mind spending more time on a weeks worth of lessons. My feeling is that because we are ahead of routine grade level, it will give my children more time to dig deeper in more good books, learn more languages (like Greek and maybe Hebrew), etc. However, every family is different and it is something definitely to consider.

Comment

Enigma!! A new little bean! Congratulations!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2020-2021
        11th year HSing · 9th year MP
        @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
        11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks, P&G. We are soo excited.
          The Homeschool Grads:
          J- 6/96
          S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
          G- 4/04
          D- 5/05
          F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
          M- 9/16

Comment

Congratulations, Enigma! We were just at a Baptism yesterday...you forget how small they are!! Prayers coming your way!

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 16
            DD, 14
            DD, 12
            DD, 10
            DD, 8
            DD, 6
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Thank you, Sarah. I appreciate all the prayers.

To my OP...F turned 6 at the beginning of July. Age-wise she is 1st grade. I just wanted to check that skills-wise she would be okay skipping the Kinder material. I tried the MP K with her for a week but she was so frustrated with "baby" work that we stopped.

Anyone know when the new plans, etc. for 1st will be ready? And do I need the summer reading plans?
              Last edited by Enigma; 08-18-2014, 09:22 AM.
              The Homeschool Grads:
              J- 6/96
              S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
              G- 4/04
              D- 5/05
              F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
              M- 9/16

Comment

The summer reading for kindergarten included three levels of the EPS readers in coordination with Classical Phonics pages to aid in the transition to "Little Bear". If your child is already reading well, I would choose books from the Highlands Latin School website summer reading lists. The new plans for kindergarten are ready as are the first grade (just finished yesterday!). If you need replacement guides, contact sales at Memoria Press and they will get one to you at no cost. The new second grade guide is a little trickier as we are still tweaking it! As soon as it is available, we will let you know!

Blessings,
                Michelle T

Comment

Working...
                X