Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using MP With A Child That Has Dysgraphia..................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using MP With A Child That Has Dysgraphia..................

How much writing is in MP 5th grade? This would be our first year with MP so I would use CC1 and not sure about Latin as we've never done it before (I've read the FAQ's, watched the sample videos, etc.). I did preview the sample pages of CC1 and not having done a Classical education before, I'm wondering if the memorization of so many things early on will be difficult for my son. Also, some of the words/language in the fable excerpts seem a little more advanced. In fact, I'd never even heard some of the terms:/

I need to keep writing to a minimum and replace it with oral or typed work.

Also, We planned on using R&S for English/Grammar this year, but I see MP has their own program. How different is it than R&S? (BTW, SO thrilled to see someone use R&S. We love it)!

I see that SOTW is recommended for Summer Reading. Could we incorporate this into our year? We adore SOTW
    Last edited by Marcee; 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM.
    DD 7th Grade: PS
    DD 5th Grade: Working on it

Hi,
    I can't answer all of your questions, but I can offer some encouragement. My son has dysgraphia and we have used a lot of Memoria Press materials. I didn't find that it was necessary for my kids (or me!) to memorize the fancy terms in the comp books. All of the MP workbook answers could be typed instead of written out, and most answers could be given orally. As for the memorization that is used in a classical program, I find that to be an area where dysgraphic kids really excel (unless there are other learning problems). My son tends to compensate naturally for his dysgraphia by memorizing and doing a lot of his work in his head already. The pre-printed flash cards are perfect for him, too, since he could never write out the cards himself.
    Hope you find something that works for you,
    Blessings,
    Liz

Comment

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
      Hi,
      I can't answer all of your questions, but I can offer some encouragement. My son has dysgraphia and we have used a lot of Memoria Press materials. I didn't find that it was necessary for my kids (or me!) to memorize the fancy terms in the comp books. All of the MP workbook answers could be typed instead of written out, and most answers could be given orally. As for the memorization that is used in a classical program, I find that to be an area where dysgraphic kids really excel (unless there are other learning problems). My son tends to compensate naturally for his dysgraphia by memorizing and doing a lot of his work in his head already. The pre-printed flash cards are perfect for him, too, since he could never write out the cards himself.
      Hope you find something that works for you,
      Blessings,
      Liz
      Thanks Liz!!
      DD 7th Grade: PS
      DD 5th Grade: Working on it

Comment

Marcee,
        Welcome! Another path to consider (and I recommend this to many families coming new to MP & classical education in the middle school years) is to look at the fourth grade package for your son. Since you'll be in Fable anyway and probably Latina Christiana, fourth could be a more natural fit for you in the sequences of studies. Since you've read a lot you've probably seen that MP is very advanced on grade level. Many families (and even some schools!) use it a level behind with great success. You definitely don't have to do this, but I wanted to add it in as something to consider. By the way, Famous Men of Rome (in fourth) goes fantastically with Latina Christiana. We did that last year in our home with my oldest. Another bonus! English Grammar Recitation 1 is designed to go along with Latina Christiana, so you'd be getting lots of synergy there.
        Warmly,
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Jessica wrote,
          "Another path to consider (and I recommend this to many families coming new to MP & classical education in the middle school years) is to look at the fourth grade package for your son. Since you'll be in Fable anyway and probably Latina Christiana, fourth could be a more natural fit for you in the sequences of studies. ... By the way, Famous Men of Rome (in fourth) goes fantastically with Latina Christiana. We did that last year in our home with my oldest."

Marcee,

Your post caught my eye, because I have a daughter with dysgraphia.

Dovetailing with the helpful comments from Jessica & Liz ...

When my own twins (including the one with dysgraphia) were 5th-grade age, we also enjoyed Famous Men of Rome alongside Latina Christiana. You could easily incorporate SOTW Vol. 1 with these studies. We did this too.

If your son already enjoys success with R&S, you might want to continue with this. The structured approach may strengthen not only his knowledge of language, but also his writing!

If you would like more ways to "customize" MP for your son, feel free to hop over to the MP Struggling Student Forum. Even if your son is not currently struggling, we have many moms with children who face learning challenges. We can help brainstorm good solutions. We want your son (and you) to have a very successful year!

Cheryl
          homeschooling mom of boy/girl twins with special needs - learning disabilities, autism, and more - who love Latin

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child
          Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith
          Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
          X