Confused about my 2nd Grade Complete Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about my 2nd Grade Complete Set

Okay, forgive me. I am a newbie to MP and to homeschooling. I just received my order, which is the full curriculum for 2nd grade. There is a checklist at the beginning of the lesson plans and it appears I am missing SRA Phonics 3. However, when I look online at the full curriculum set, there is no such book included ni the package and therefore I did not order it. Also, I did receive Spelling Workout. Spelling Workout is not included in the checklist nor in the lesson plans. Am I missing something? Did I need to order SRA separately or something? Will I even be using Spelling Workout?
    Kristin

2021-2022
    8th year homeschooling w/MP

DS14: 9A except for Biology (co-op) and Lit/Comp (Integritas Academy)
    DS11: 6A
    DS8: 4M

We switched from SRA phonics in second grade to the Spelling Workout which includes spelling words and a phonics lesson which accompanies it. We felt this weekly phonics lesson would be sufficient for second grade. That explains why SRA was not included but SWO was.

If you feel your child needs more phonics than this, you have the freedom to order SRA from the distributor. Memoria Press no longer sells them. We have the lesson plans for both SRA and SWO (or did last time I was in the office so no promises) available now but soon we will only carry the SWO.

All of that to say- you got the complete set for this year. The picture you saw online did not reflect the changes.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

Michelle, thank you for the reply. I think I understand now and am glad to know I got the complete set. I don't think my son needs extra phonics practice so I won't be purchasing the SRA. I do wonder why I don't have the Spelling Workout lesson plans. Do I just follow along with the teacher's manual for SWO since it isn't listed in the MP lesson plans?

Thanks again.
      Kristin

2021-2022

Comment

No teacher manual that I am aware of since it is all pretty self explanatory you don't need it.

Glad to help!

Michelle Tefertiller

Comment

In absence of the actual plans, some helpful tips for doing spelling each week are to start with the rule for the week on monday by putting on a board if you have one, or reading it through with your child several times to help them memorize it. Then look at the words for the week to see how the rule applies. Then have them write their words once, or do the first activity of the book.

After this introduction, each day you would do another activity, and keep practicing the rule. On Fridays do a test of the words, and have them practice any that are misspelled. Fridays are also good for reviewing old rules, a few each week.

One final thing I do with my kids is to have them spell their list outloud to themselves three times through every day as part of their work. That way they are seeing the spelling, saying the spelling, hearing the spelling, and writing the spelling....hitting all the learning pathways.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2020-2021
          16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
          DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
          DS, 17
          DD, 15
          DD, 13
          DD, 11
          DD, 9
          DD, 7
          +DS+
          DS, 2

Comment

I did receive the Teacher's Editions for SWO B and C, and just received the student SWO B today, but with no lesson plans. Will those be mailed out separately? I'm just going to plan a lesson per week, but didn't know if I should be doing more! Not that my kids wouldn't mind doing LESS work...

Tracy
            Tracy
            My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
            MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

I very much appreciate the responses! Thank you for your help!

I also received a teaching manual. I guess I am just wondering why the lesson plans still have the old curriculum scheduled each day instead of the new. It just seems odd... I have the same question as Tracy. Should we just do one lesson per week?
              Kristin

2021-2022

Comment

There will be several grades with old texts scheduled in the plans (R&S Spelling vs. Spelling Workout, R&S English vs. EGR III in 5th, to name a few). Most of these had to do with changing texts over the summer after the lesson plans were printed. As the new individual plans are readied, they will be available from MP. I'm thinking they'll just send them out to you if you ordered the whole package? Tanya or Michelle can give you the low down on that.
                From what I understand, yes, one spelling lesson per week.
                HTH!
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
                DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
                DD 7th • HLN & Home
                DS 4th • HLN & Home
                Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
                Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                  There will be several grades with old texts scheduled in the plans (R&S Spelling vs. Spelling Workout, R&S English vs. EGR III in 5th, to name a few). Most of these had to do with changing texts over the summer after the lesson plans were printed. As the new individual plans are readied, they will be available from MP. I'm thinking they'll just send them out to you if you ordered the whole package? Tanya or Michelle can give you the low down on that.
                  From what I understand, yes, one spelling lesson per week.
                  HTH!
                  Okay, it's all making sense now! So there will be an updated lesson plan book. Thank you, that helps!
                  Kristin

2021-2022

Comment

Kbiggs, I think the likelier option is that there will be a single-line, individual lesson plan for new texts available at some point. They'll probably mail you a copy or provide a PDF by email that you can print. I'm not sure if they'll do entirely new Lesson Plan booklets for everyone. Michelle/Tanya (whom I might start referring to as TanChelle to keep it quick! ) will have to let you know.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                    DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
                    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
                    DD 7th • HLN & Home
                    DS 4th • HLN & Home
                    Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
                    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

One lesson per week for SWO and yes, Memoria will provide the lesson plans. If you ordered the curriculum guide the lesson plan for the year is included just call the office and they will be glad to get it to you.

Blessings,
                      TanChelle

Ok really it is just Michelle but that was cute!

Comment

I actually finished the lesson plans for 2nd grade Spelling Workout yesterday morning before leaving for TX, so you can get the new plans now by calling the office.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tanya

Comment

Sorry to be disjointed. I am trying to catch up as I travel! In answer to the question about SWO B, I think the 1st grade phonics and spelling plans are ready too. We have them back from the copy editor, so you can email [email protected] and ask her to send them to you.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                          X