Placement Question for 4 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement Question for 4 year old

Hi there. I am new to homeschooling as this will be our first year. I have fallen in love with MP Classical Core Curriculum and will be using the 2nd grade set with my oldest. My middle son is 4 1/2. He is much less focused than my oldest but somehow he is miles ahead of where my oldest was at this age skill wise. He is reading basic words (BOB books) and can count by 2's, 3's, 5's, 10's and more and is adding and subtracting into double digits. He has mastered most of the basics of pre-k like cutting and pasting and is developing good writing skills.

Jr. K doesn't appear to be a fit skill wise. I think he is ahead of the program and would be bored. However, K seems like it would be pushing him too much as far as seat time every day. He is a pretty hyper little guy and although he loves learning, he simply cannot sit still very long yet.

So...those of you more familiar with MP, could you give me some advice? Do I start K and just take it slowly, possibly even over two years? Or is there another program that might work better for this in between year before he is ready for MP K next year? I do not want to push him as I believe pre-k should be gentle and fun so I'm hesitant to jump ahead.

Thanks for your time!
    Kristin

2021-2022
    8th year homeschooling w/MP

DS14: 9A except for Biology (co-op) and Lit/Comp (Integritas Academy)
    DS11: 6A
    DS8: 4M

I think the K over two years sounds like a good plan. We just did it in one year, as desired by my daughter (she'll be five tomorrow). For bits I thought we'd extend but she got through. Even with lots of breaks. She truly enjoys workbook style things (especially the showing to daddy part).

This year we're planning to start First. I plan to go at her pace again and would be surprised if this time we do take two years.

From what you said it sounds like he has some skills already mastered so perhaps kinder will be more fun then difficult.
    Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 7th
    DD Summer 2011 · SC
    DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
    DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
    DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
    MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Beginning with the Memoria Press kindergarten is the way to go. You are correct in that you should take your time and maybe spread it out over a couple of years giving your child exposure to the program but also giving him the extra time he may need before he is able to sit long enough to complete assignments.

The ALS books are excellent phonic practice with short stories (maybe 10 lines or so each) that will work nicely with young ones. When he can focus a bit longer, the EPS readers are always a big hit with the kindergarteners. They love being able to hold the little books.

Comment

Thank you both so much! I feel better now about jumping right in. We will certainly take it at his pace. I am excited!
        Kristin

2021-2022
        8th year homeschooling w/MP

DS14: 9A except for Biology (co-op) and Lit/Comp (Integritas Academy)
        DS11: 6A
        DS8: 4M

Comment

Working...
        X