Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st grade Enrichment help, please!

Hi!

I need some help with the Enrichment programs, please. My youngest recently completed public school 1st grade, but rather than jump right into MP 2nd grade, I think that, based on his reading and writing ability, I want to cover some of the 1st grade curriculum with him, at least for the beginning part of the upcoming year. I bought the StoryTime Treasures set earlier in the summer, with the idea of working through that over the summer as a review, but I'm realizing that will probably extend a bit longer than I initially thought. I was thinking of starting the 1st grade enrichment, and using that for several months. Would this be a good place to start? What do I need for the Enrichment? The book and the art cards? Of course, along with all of the read-alongs.

He had a somewhat bad experience over the past year in public school, and he is on the younger side for his grade (not yet 7), so I want to ease him into homeschooling, and the enrichment program looks like a nice way to do that, but I would love to hear any suggestions.

Thank you for your help!
    Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I think your plan of not rushing things is very good, as you have plenty of time and there are so many wonderful ways of meeting their needs right now. Focusing on the enrichment guide is an excellent way to build in a year without advancing a grade level. I have a soon to be seven year old who needs to do that same thing at the second grade level.

Finishing Storytime and More Storytime Treasures will be great, along with the enrichment. I would say another good thing to do would be to add in the New American Cursive book one, as MP has them start cursive in first grade, and your public school probably did not! To add more practice, you could also do the first Copybook, as that will include doing Bible readings from the Golden Children's Bible. That will start memory work while introducing Hebrew history, another of the classical cultures we focus on. Finally, make sure you keep working on math facts practice too. You don't necessarily need to go ahead a year, but you could purchase the blacklines/worksheets for Rod and Staff First Grade. They are usually a bit of an optional thing, but in this case, it would be a great, simple way to keep the facts moving along toward mastery. Finally, make sure to get a composition and sketchbook, as there are activities in the enrichment where they draw pictures and write down narrations.

I have basically given you my plan for my second grader, so I hope it helps!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much! You offered some great guidelines, that's exactly what I needed. I really like the books included in the StoryTime Treasures sets, as well as the enrichment, so that seems like it will be a natural place to start. Is there anything in the lesson plans that I will need? I have no problem organizing things, especially since we will not be following the entire curriculum exactly, if that is all the lesson plans are, but are there are any added activities in the lesson plans that would be helpful?

I had already chosen a math curriculum, so we will definitely cover math. And you are absolutely right, public school did not cover cursive in 1st grade.

Thanks again!
      Elizabeth

Comment

I think you would be okay with the enrichment guide. The cursive has great instructions within it, and the copybook gives an example of how to proceed through it each week. The one thing I forgot was phonics...in addition to Storytime Treasures, first graders review their phonics lessons with a workbook...so you might want to include that as well.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Thanks again! You've been a fantastic help!

Best,
          Elizabeth

Comment

Working...
          X