New to MP questions about K math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MP questions about K math

I'm planning on ordering MP for my son for K this year. He is 6 and we've put off a real kindy program because he has been struggling to retain any information we learn. I think he's finally ready to get started, yay! We've been working on math with him over the summer and he knows his number 1-20 for the most part, only struggles with 13 and 14. He also understands how to add and greater than and less than. My question is should we start with the MP numbers books or go ahead and start with the Rod and Staff grade 1.

He struggles with writing the number, but knows what they all look like. I looked at the sample page for the numbers book and I'm just afraid it's going to be too simple for him. Do they get more complex or is it mostly just learning the numbers all the way through?

Others can chime in more information, but I do know MP takes two years to complete R&S Math 1--K and First grade. Does that encourage you?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; Memoria College

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I am getting ready to use K for my first time, with our fifth child.....but I have used the Rod and Staff math for grade one before....(Rod and Staff does not do a formal K program, so their first "real" math text is the first grade one.) When you combine the workbooks, with the worksheets, and the MP books....there is a lot of practice and reinforcement!

So much of learning is about beginning at the beginning, and moving steadily through. If you find the pace too slow at the beginning, you can always move more quickly through the parts he finds super easy, and take your time with the parts he is learning. That way, you are not leaving any gaps and can be sure he is really learning it all. Review is just as important as learning new material!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

The beginning of K math is a lot of writing numbers but uses the Numbers Books and R&S at the same time. You'll definitely be adding and skip counting etc before K is done. (I can't quite remember the time frame within the school year).

Comment

By the end of K

By the end of K Math, we know addition and subtraction facts up six, denominators, nickles, pennies, dimes, counting to 100+, skip counting by 2, 5, 10s to 100+, base tens and place value to hundreds, telling time to the hour and half hour, and more or less than plus other things.

We started going in knowing what number looks like and saying by name and writing some. (Random life activities and JrK with Counting with Numbers and coloring book).
          Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
          DD Summer 2009 · 7th
          DD Summer 2011 · SC
          DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
          DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
          DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
          MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
          Blog: Creative Madness Mama
          @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

additional thoughts on MP Numbers

The Numbers books have coloring and more dot-to-dots than the R&S but the one thing we cover here and there in he MP books that isn't even touched so far in the R&S Math 1 is even vs odd.

The MP books also bring back in colors and shapes much more often than R&S.
            Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
            DD Summer 2009 · 7th
            DD Summer 2011 · SC
            DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
            DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
            DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
            MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
            Blog: Creative Madness Mama
            @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Working...
            X