Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which year should I add in my state's history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which year should I add in my state's history?

In what grade is state history taught at Highlands Latin? What year would it fit in best with the MP sequence? I took Tennessee History as a seventh grader so that is what I had in my mind as the year of state history.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

We actually don't have a year we devote to state history. Our high school US history teacher knows Kentucky history very well and incorporates it into that course.

Even though we don't dedicate an entire year to state history, we do think that state history is valuable to foster a sense of community. You would have to check and see what resources are available for your state's history and then teach it in the grade that is appropriate for those books.

Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Great, Paul. Thank you.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Most schols/boxes I have seen add it in during 4th grade.

Calvert School has some easy {though $$} State history courses.

I know there is one that is Christian based but I do not remember the name.

ABeka has a nice My State notebook.
        The Older Boys:
        J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
        S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
        G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
        D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
        F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
        M- 9/16

Comment

Missouri public schools do it in 4th. Seems like it would fit in best in 3rd with MP, but that seems so young. How about just a bit every year? Maybe do a week long unit study every year?
          We don't do anything official but learn a lot about our state just by taking field trips and visiting relatives around the state.
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
          DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
          DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
          (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
          DS, 21, Physics and math major
          DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
          DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
          DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

state history

It is covered in seventh grade in Texas schools, so we are adding it in over the next couple of years. If I was living somewhere else, I probably wouldn't donate as much time to it. But I learned when I did my last two years of high school living in Texas that Texans are somewhat, um, intense about their state history and heroes.
            Blessings,
            Jude

dd 17
            ds 14 (special needs)
            ds 11
            ds 9
            dd 7
            ds 4
            dd 2
            DD24
            DS21
            DS18
            DS16
            DD14
            DS11
            DD9

Comment

Haha Jude!
              -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
              2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
              Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

I'm related to James Butler Bonham!
                Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
                DD Summer 2009 · 7th
                DD Summer 2011 · SC
                DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
                DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
                DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
                MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
                Blog: Creative Madness Mama
                @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

North Carolina does state history in 4th grade. Last year we tried the 4th grade social studies from http://www.studiesweekly.com/ . My daughter enjoyed reading it, but in the end we didn't finish it. It was no fault of the curriculum, but I was just trying to do to much and had to cut some corners. It's very cheap and is shipped in four installments throughout the year starting sometime in August. It's secular and has some "prehistory" type stuff in it. I'm not sure what they have for Tennessee.

Comment

Recommended Resources for Citizenship, History & Government

This year we need to enroll with the state. Our state requires that "Citizenship, History & Government" be taught. Can you recommend resources that are appropriate for a 1st grader? Can you recommend a series or book that covers an individual state's history? So I guess I need the following:

- State history series
                    - Citizenship

So far I will be using the following from the 1st grade Enrichment which is more focused on US and world history and cultures:

A Picture Book of Christopher Columbus by David A. Adler
                    The Very First Thanksgiving Day Rhonda Gowler Greene
                    If You Lived in Colonial Times - Ann McGovern
                    A Kid's Guide to Washington D.C. - Mirim Chernick
                    Russia ABCs - Ann Berge
                    Children Just Like Me - Dorling Kindersley
                    Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books by Kay Winters
                    The Star-Spangled Banner Illustrated by Peter Spier

Thanks in advance!!
                    Last edited by thenightbeforechristmas; 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thenightbeforechristmas View Post
                      This year we need to enroll with the state. Our state requires that "Citizenship, History & Government" be taught. Can you recommend resources that are appropriate for a 1st grader? Can you recommend a series or book that covers an individual state's history? So I guess I need the following:

- State history series
                      - Citizenship

So far I will be using the following from the 1st grade Enrichment which is more focused on US and world history and cultures:

A Picture Book of Christopher Columbus by David A. Adler
                      The Very First Thanksgiving Day Rhonda Gowler Greene
                      If You Lived in Colonial Times - Ann McGovern
                      A Kid's Guide to Washington D.C. - Mirim Chernick
                      Russia ABCs - Ann Berge
                      Children Just Like Me - Dorling Kindersley
                      Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books by Kay Winters
                      The Star-Spangled Banner Illustrated by Peter Spier

Thanks in advance!!
                      Does that specify somewhere that it has to be the "Citizenship, History, and Government" of your state? I'd think that the Columbus, Thanksgiving, Colonial Times, and Abe Lincoln books would address history. Washington D.C. book would address government (at least enough for a first grader). And the Russia ABCs, Children Just Like Me, and Star-Spangled Banner would address Citizenship (in the sense that you need a broad base of knowledge of cultures and people to be a good citizen).

I do have a link to a website that has government resources, though. http://bensguide.gpo.gov/k-2/index.html

Some states have free learning packets that you can request. And National Parks (and some state parks) have Junior Ranger badges that you can earn. Visit the park, pick up the packet from the info desk, explore the park, help the child (since he's so young) fill in the answers, and return the packet to the people in charge. There is usually a little ceremony and the child gets a badge, like the ones that pin on to the shirt and a certificate of completion. The worksheets really make you pay attention to the park and it's museum or displays. You can pick up a lot of state history that way, and have certificates to prove that you did it.
                      Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                      Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                      Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Greetings,

In our primary classrooms during our calendar time sometimes we locate our state, learn our border states and go over information such as what our state is known for etc. but that is about it for state studies in the primary grades. We do encourage museum visits and other locally cultural activities in those early years.

Usually a specific study of your state is done in 3rd or 4th grade. We don't offer anything as far as studies of specific states.

Be sure to check with a home school organization like HSLDA to find what your state actually requires.

Blessings,
                        Michelle T

Comment

State Studies

Thanks, Michelle and Miah! Our state has the same HS curriculum requirements across grades which includes studying "Citizenship, History & Government" in our state and the US.

Locating our state, learning our border states and going over information such as what our state is known for sounds great.

I also like the idea of contacting the state for a learning packet.

Not sure what to do for citizenship...on to Google. : )

Comment

Originally posted by thenightbeforechristmas View Post
                            Not sure what to do for citizenship...on to Google. : )
                            Does your state specify what their requirements for citizenship study are for that age? I checked on the PA state education site and found the standards for the public schools (civics & government) to get an idea of what would be expected to be covered. We live in MI right now and have little to no requirements but we might be moving to PA and they have lots of them! Even in PA though, hs'ers aren't required to follow these standards. I just thought it was good way to get an idea of what "citizenship" meant at young ages. It's pretty simple at that age.

It could be as simple as manners, importance of rules, and being a nice member of the community (picking up litter, taking care of the playground). Also jobs that people in the community have: Police, fire, doctors, teachers, librarians, garbage men, mailman, etc.... National symbols etc

http://static.pdesas.org/content/documents/PreK-2_Civics_and_Government_Standards.pdf

Comment

Grade/Age Requirements

There are no grade/age requirements. It is the same across all grades/ages. It is very vague. I just would rather do something meaningful to fulfill the requirement.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts. These are good!
                              Last edited by thenightbeforechristmas; 07-22-2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X