Questions regarding 2nd grade Core Curriculum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding 2nd grade Core Curriculum

We are planning on switching to Memoria Press in a few months when our oldest DD is done with 1st grade. What I'm wondering is how teacher-intensive is the curriculum? We really like to encourage self-teaching, which my oldest does wonderfully with. However, our current curriculum requires the parent be present and teaching nearly the entire time - and is laden with busy-work. Which leads me to my next question: Is there much or any busy work? I guess, we just don't know much about the curriculum aside from it's brief info on the site. What we do know seems to suggest it would probably fit our education goals... Which is what I thought with our current program. So I'm cautious about making the plunge.

Welcome!
    In my experience the second grade core (and all of MP, for that matter) has almost no busy work at all. At the lower levels there is additional pratice offered for Math and Reading which you may/may not need depending on your child's level of mastery. My second grader did almost all of her work independently this year. I gave her my Lesson Plan book to work from so that she knows what to do each day and she checks it off as she works. See that here: http://cdn.memoriapress.com/sites/default/files/products/samples/SecondGradeCurriculum_sample_0.pdf

I actually have to be diligent to "teach" her and not simply assign the work. If your child is a good reader, s/he should be able to do as much on their own as you like. Math, Latin and the Lit/Enrichment are always done with mom as they are more discussion oriented. We watch the Prima Latina DVDs together on Monday and then she works each day and we go over it. Reading comprehension questions we usually discuss then she writes her sentences or sometimes I will take dictation from her. You may want your child to read aloud from the Reading selections.

One observation about skills: the better your child has mastered reading and handwriting, the easier it will be for you. If either of these need more work, second grade it the time to cement them. I wasn't diligent enough with my older two to truly master fast and fluid handwriting when they were in the lower grades. I thought handwriting was important, but I see it through new eyes now! The physical mechanics have to be mastered so that they can really dive into much more writing in third grade.

We always have read-aloud time each day with all the kids together as well as recitation (poems, recitation questions, scripture memory, etc.). I'm not sure how many/if any other children are in the picture, but my second grader was always done with school by lunch time if she had worked well in the morning.

HTH!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Thank you!

That is absolutely the information I was looking for! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough response. It definitely helped.

Comment

You're most welcome! What curriculum are you moving from? I can't even begin to tell you what a blessing MP has been in our educational journey. I hope you find it to be the same!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

10th • HLN, Latin online
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home

Comment

We're currently using Alpha Omega LifePac. It's a nice program, but not at all a fit for what we're aiming for. We really stewed around between MP and AOP when our daughter was ready for 1st, but decided on trying AOP first because of the cost difference (we got a significant discount on the curriculum). After heading into it, we realized that MP would have likely been well worth the difference in regards to content. I really suspect MP will be a blessing to our homeschool too.

Comment

Here's where MP saves me money: I don't buy anything else to supplement school. If I want to buy something for fun--art supplies, used books, museum passes, etc.--it's because they are great resources for my family and I'd be buying them regardless of what we do for school. I know that all my bases are covered with MP so I don't have to spend money to add to part of the curriculum that's lacking. That's a great savings for me!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

10th • HLN, Latin online
            7th • HLN & Home
            4th • HLN & Home

Comment

That's encouraging to know. I am finding we are supplementing a lot, which is not only expensive but it takes so much more planning.

Comment

Working...
              X