Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

incorporating MOH and other questions (new here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

incorporating MOH and other questions (new here)

My son loves your Latin program (just finished First Form in 6th grade), and I have been learning a lot from your catalogs. I'm considering using the full curriculum next year, but I have a couple questions. We had used Mystery of History I & II the past 2 years, and were planning to use vol. III this year. Would we still need to study Famous Men of Rome and/or Greece? We are reading through the D'Aulaires' Myths book this summer. Also, is there a sample weekly schedule available online? I think I would use mostly the 6th grade level since we are new to this. I'm concerned that we'll be overwhelmed with the workload, especially all the reading (he hates to read--what do I do with that?!?).

Thanks for your help!
    Janice

Welcome, Janice!
    Here is a link to the sixth grade weekly plans.

http://cdn.memoriapress.com/sites/default/files/products/samples/6thGradeCurriculum_Sample_1.pdf

Since you'll be in Second Form you can white-out that line and write in the assignments or simply let your son work from the Individual Lesson Plan which they will include if you sub Second form into the Sixth Grade package.

With the reading for literature, you could find the audio CDs and let him follow along and mark his text as he listens. That would lighten a load in one subject at least.

I'll let others speak to your other questions...
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Janice,
      Welcome! I am so glad your son has been doing so well in Latin, and that you are considering MP for your full program. I personally am not familiar with MOH, so I cannot speak to what you have covered already, or what you would cover in book III. To give you an idea of MP's approach, their program offers a great introduction to Hebrew (Christian Studies), Greek (Myths, and Famous Men), and Roman (Famous Men) histories which serve as the basis of western civilization. This introduction is meant as a preparation for reading the great classics, the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid in the upper school years of Seventh and beyond.

Since you would be doing sixth, you would have an overview of the Bible in Christian Studies IV, so tha would help with Hebrew. You are doing the Myths, so you would really want to make sure to have at some point reached the Greek and Roman exposure. Have you done any of that? If you have, than you could use sixth as is with the Famous Men of Greece. He will be hitting Greece again in seventh, so if he has not done any Roman yet, you could substitute Famous Men of Rome too. It is really up to what you think your son needs.

As for the reading material....a couple things to keep in mind are age, exposure, and content. Sometimes kids just need more time for the reading bug to catch him; also keep in mind what he has been exposed to thus far....has it been great quality? Nothing kills a desire read faster than much of what passes for books in the library these days. Perhaps check out the Highlands Latin Summer Reading Lists, and see if some of those spark more of an interest. (Highlands is the school connected with MP) Lastly, if the content still seems hard for him, a great way to help is to read the material aloud to him. This is a great way to build stronger reading skills, that also helps with a sense of togetherness between you and your children.

Hopefully some of those tactics will help turn the tide for him!
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
        Welcome, Janice!
        Here is a link to the sixth grade weekly plans.

http://cdn.memoriapress.com/sites/default/files/products/samples/6thGradeCurriculum_Sample_1.pdf

Since you'll be in Second Form you can white-out that line and write in the assignments or simply let your son work from the Individual Lesson Plan which they will include if you sub Second form into the Sixth Grade package.

With the reading for literature, you could find the audio CDs and let him follow along and mark his text as he listens. That would lighten a load in one subject at least.

I'll let others speak to your other questions...
        Jessica,

Thanks for the link to the lesson plans. Now I see how covering all those subjects is doable. And using audio cds is a great idea! Thanks for your input.~~Janice

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          Janice,
          Welcome! I am so glad your son has been doing so well in Latin, and that you are considering MP for your full program. I personally am not familiar with MOH, so I cannot speak to what you have covered already, or what you would cover in book III. To give you an idea of MP's approach, their program offers a great introduction to Hebrew (Christian Studies), Greek (Myths, and Famous Men), and Roman (Famous Men) histories which serve as the basis of western civilization. This introduction is meant as a preparation for reading the great classics, the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid in the upper school years of Seventh and beyond.

Since you would be doing sixth, you would have an overview of the Bible in Christian Studies IV, so tha would help with Hebrew. You are doing the Myths, so you would really want to make sure to have at some point reached the Greek and Roman exposure. Have you done any of that? If you have, than you could use sixth as is with the Famous Men of Greece. He will be hitting Greece again in seventh, so if he has not done any Roman yet, you could substitute Famous Men of Rome too. It is really up to what you think your son needs.

As for the reading material....a couple things to keep in mind are age, exposure, and content. Sometimes kids just need more time for the reading bug to catch him; also keep in mind what he has been exposed to thus far....has it been great quality? Nothing kills a desire read faster than much of what passes for books in the library these days. Perhaps check out the Highlands Latin Summer Reading Lists, and see if some of those spark more of an interest. (Highlands is the school connected with MP) Lastly, if the content still seems hard for him, a great way to help is to read the material aloud to him. This is a great way to build stronger reading skills, that also helps with a sense of togetherness between you and your children.

Hopefully some of those tactics will help turn the tide for him!
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          Sarah,

Thanks for the encouragement regarding reading. I'm afraid his library choices, although morally acceptable, haven't been of the greatest literary content, on the rare occasion that he does read on his own. We do read aloud to him every day, however, and have read many of the books on the Highlands list. I had him start reading Number the Stars this week, and he seems to be enjoying it. Hopefully, that will whet his appetite for more good books.

About Mystery of History--it is a Christian Classical program. Vol. I covers creation through the Resurrection, including the study of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and other Asian civilizations. Vol. II covers AD 30-1456. I understand that studying the Famous Men series in the younger grades prepares the students for more indepth studies of ancient history/cultures/literature in middle and high school. Since we are starting so late, we wouldn't have time to do all three FM books, would we?

Thanks for your help,
          Janice

Comment

Hi, Janice.

Mystery of History will give your students a good introduction to the civilizations of Greece and Rome, so don't feel you need to catch up by doing all the Famous Men books. In fact, this history will be repeated as students go through middle and high school. A good familiarity with Greek mythology is a good use of your time this summer. Then, just go forward with your plan for next year, and it will be a good year for you and your student!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
            X