Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Form Latin half pace?

Hi,

I have a daughter who is going into 4th grade. She completed Latina Christiana 1 last year and will be going into First Form Latin. After looking at First Form it seems like a large jump in work after LC1. Between the worksheets and the quizzes there is more than 1 page a day of written work. Add in the writing program and grammar as well as all of the other subjects and that seems like a lot of writing daily. Would doing First Form half pace over two years be okay?

You can try that, or you can use Latina Christiana 2 and then First Form the next year...You will be in the same place at the end...I am considering this route for two of my sons depending on how Latina 1 goes for us...
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
    DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
    DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Just to clarify, no, LC II goes into much deeper territory so you would be better off slowing down FF than trying to tackle LC II.

A couple of questions for you:

1. Do you feel your child "mastered" all of LC I, at least 80% of it? Basically, can she "chant" every grammar form from LC I and knows "a lot" of vocabulary? If so, then she should definitely move onto FF. If not, then try redoing LC I. I love the weekly quiz format of all the MP Latin products. If her weekly quiz average is at least an 80%, then I'd recommend going onto FF.

2. Don't assume that FF is "more than a page a day" of written work. Most weeks, it's about a page a day. Here's an easy format for homeschoolers to follow:

Day 1: have your child take the previous lesson quiz if she hasn't already done so. WATCH THE DVD TOGETHER with books and TM open. Follow along with Mr. Moore. Chant with the DVD teacher. Afterward, discuss and assign Section I: Word Study and Grammar.

Day 2: Grade your child's work with her (let her read off her answers; if she gets something wrong, she can circle the answer for later self-correction). CHANT, flash cards together. Don't skip this step with your child! It takes about 5-8 mins and it cements the mastery of the Latin grammar (as well as vocabulary retention). Assign section II: Conjugations.

Day 3: same as above. Assign Section III: Form Drills.

Day 4: same as above. Assign Section IV: Form Drills.

Day 5: same as above. Assign Section V: Enrichment [Actually, I usually assigned this with Day 1/Word study. Both section I and V take about 3 mins to complete.] Give Lesson Quiz or wait until next Day 1.

That's 5 days of work for most lessons, and can even be compressed into 4 days of work if you have a busy week. As I mentioned, Sections I and V will take less time, roughly 3-5 mins per section.

If you need to slow FF down, that's fine. However, FF moves v-e-r-y slowly, especially compared to later Forms. OTOH, if you do every FF lesson, there are at least 36 weeks worth of work in that curriculum.

A final consideration, don't forget that in the MP curriculums, Latin is not "on top of" the rest of your child's work like in some curriculums. It is a CENTERPIECE of the LA work. That efficiency alone will help your child find the time to complete the Latin work for the week.

Just some random thoughts. Hope that helps!

Jen
      Last edited by Jen (formerly) in Japan; 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM.
      DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Jen, as I was considering LC 2...
        Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
        DS -21 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, in college
        DS -17 (9/04) (SN)
        DS -15 (7/06)

Comment

Working...
        X