Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Sorry, friend! I can't figure that one out. Maybe Paul or Tanya can tell you how to get Private Messaging as an option...
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 06-20-2014, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pschaeffer
    replied
    Hello.

I think English Grammar Recitation would be a good switch for you, and you are right that it will be less time-consuming, freeing you up for other things!

Cheers,

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Here I go again...

Still trying to firm up my order.
    In looking at the choices to customize a package, I noticed that for grammar, the English Grammar Recitation was a choice to switch out. So, I'm wondering if I should consider that instead of R&S, especially if it takes less time.....because, I will be doing Fable/Narrative combo so he would be working harder and at a faster pace in that area.

Any advice about this?

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Not there

The first two options are there (Log In & Privacy, Messaging and Notification) but the Private Messaging heading is not there.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    When you choose the General Settings option on the Forum Actions drop down it should redirect you to a General Settings page. There are clusters of options with titles in bold. The first is Login & Privacy, the second down is Messaging & Notification and the third is Private Messaging.

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Hmmm

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Lemonade, Here you go!

On the Forum tab above choose "Forum Actions"
    Then select "General Settings"
    On that page there is a section called Private Messaging
    You will need to select "Turn private messaging on" and
    "From all forum members" (vs. simply moderators)
    and then complete your preferences--whether or not you want an email or simply a pop-up on logging in, etc.

Let me know if you have trouble!
    There was no section called Private Messaging under my general settings.....maybe I'm too new?

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    To enable Private Messaging

Lemonade, Here you go!

On the Forum tab above choose "Forum Actions"
    Then select "General Settings"
    On that page there is a section called Private Messaging
    You will need to select "Turn private messaging on" and
    "From all forum members" (vs. simply moderators)
    and then complete your preferences--whether or not you want an email or simply a pop-up on logging in, etc.

Let me know if you have trouble!

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    This helps!

Pickandgrin, your post really helps and this is what I was planning on doing (white out with the grid). I tried to go to my settings to enable private messaging but did not see that option. Is it under general settings?

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Lemonade,
    I do rejoice with you! I expect this next year is going to feel like an amazing respite for you. You, the tutor, with one beloved student and lots and lots of time. What a beautiful prospect!

And you mentioned the appeal of the lesson plan spread, here's an idea. In past years I've had to white out (using Bic Wite-Out EZCorrect) entire lines of the lesson plan and write in the new assignments utilizing the individual subject lesson plan. While not perfect, it's had the effect you are hoping for. My students open up and see all their work in one spot. I would usually write in it a few weeks at a time. You will have lessons (and a dedicated line in the lesson plan) for Latin and Classical Composition while Geo I will simply be one day a week with a quiz usually on Friday. I think you can manage these edits with no problem. If you want to see what it looks like, drop me a private message and I can email or text you a photo. (To do this, click on my username above and choose the private message option. You must have private messaging enabled in your settings.)

Best,

Leave a comment:

• pschaeffer
    replied
    Hello.

There is ample review in the 6th grade R&S book. All R&S products have great built-in review. I feel like you would be fine with the 6th grade book. But you might want to consider taking 2 years to complete it so you don't have to spend too much of your time on English grammar. Latin will take care of much of it for you.

Regards,

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• pschaeffer
    replied
    Sorry for my delayed response. I'm in Orlando for the ACCS and behind on my Inbox. Yes, we are switching all grades from R&S Spelling to Spelling Workout.

Cheers,

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Will it just be the two of you at home each day? If so, that opens lots of possibilities for a lunch debrief or similar.

And always ask away--we love questions.
    Yes, it will be just the two of us. I realize this will help us tremendously to streamline and be able to discuss. Those of you with many children, rejoice with me because I desperately need this. I spent years in ps with many students and need a break physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

It is looking as if we will go with the 6th package with just a few changes (First Form, Fable, Geo 1).

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    To your second question...

To your second question, yes, I believe your son should be able to read the selections independently and complete his work. The student books that he will be completing will target the most important people, dates, vocabulary, facts to know, etc. so if he will take a peek at that first it will greatly aid in his reading comprehension. Since many of the MP materials follow this same rhythm (and you have the advantage of starting fresh!!), I encourage you to decide together at the beginning of the year how he'll approach each one. If you lay the foundation of a quick student book review, then reading independently, then completing his student book, then a brief discussion with you to wrap up later, I think it will improve his comprehension and retention. You'll get the bonus of learning what he's learning as he shares it with you.
    Will it just be the two of you at home each day? If so, that opens lots of possibilities for a lunch debrief or similar.

And always ask away--we love questions.

Leave a comment:

• Miah
    replied
    We did the 6th grade book without having done the other books, and there was no problem. There is some review questions at the beginning, that he might not know the answers to (lists of prepositions, etc), but the answers are in the teacher's book, so taking a bit of extra time in the beginning to get those down will cover it. An average student, should be be able to do the entirety of R&S English including the teacher involved time in less than an hour, and if he was comprehending it, then some of the work could be reduced.

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Thank you for your posts. I think I'm inclined to take your advice of doing 6th and "camping out " longer, if needed, on topics in which he does not easily move to mastery. I've used that approach in math with him in the past and it paid huge dividends in the long run.

Another question, if I may...and I realize I'm likely bordering on being annoying, lol, but for the classical studies, modern, literature, and science, does the child read the section for the day and work independently? I'm assuming so, since there is now a "read-aloud" package which would not be read independently. I'm really hoping to assign independent work, then meet together to discuss and go over on some subjects...of course not all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X