Coming to MP as a fifth grader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming to MP as a fifth grader?

Can you friends give an idea of what coming to MP as a fifth grader would look like? I'm discussing just this scenario with a friend later today. Her child is coming from a great public school experience but without much classical background.

This is what I'm thinking

Composition: Fable (or Fable in Fall, Narrative in Spring)
    Latin: LC1 or First Form, depending on the parents' background
    Christian Studies 1
    Classical Studies...a bit stumped here, perhaps Greek Myths as a read aloud, FMORome in the fall, FMMidAges in the spring
    EGR 1
    Geography 1
    Math, Spelling, Science and Literature at grade level
    Additional items: Poetry for the Grammar Stage, Timeline Program

Am I missing anything?
    Thanks!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

LC I, for sure. Even if the parent took some Latin in high school, I'd say that LC I would be a good refresher for that parent, but also a good launching point for a PS child who has never taken homeschool OR foreign languages before.

Also? I wouldn't stress out over completing Greek Myths over the summer *in order to begin* FMR. Many kids are familiar with myths anyway (Percy Jackson, anyone?). IMO, FMR is the true staring point for academic classical studies. Myths are a basis, to be sure, but they pop up in so many places, they can be addressed in and around classical studies, esp for an older student.

MAKE SURE when coming off PS, the child isn't driven into a frenzy of "catching up". Very stressful. This child needs to decompress... and learn to love learning. At least that is usually the case with families who decide to homeschool in later elementary school years.

Jen, whose first year of homeschooling was with a 4th, 2nd, and preK... 13 years ago.
    DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Jessica,

I agree with Jen, and on that note, you could do a semester of Fable and a semester of Narrative, but I'd plan on just doing the Fable Stage this coming year. If you get to Dec. and feel your student has mastered it and needs to move on, that is fine, but don't worry about being a year behind in Classical Comp. You still have plenty of time. The goal is for you and your student to enjoy studying together at a pace that encourages immersing yourselves in the curriculum - focusing on mastery and reinforcement. The schedule you have laid out looks good to me, and I think you will have a great year!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya and Jen! I'm so excited for my friend. It's great to have a fabulous resource like MP to share!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
        X