X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tanya
    replied
    Hello.

I feel like your 4th grader will be fine with Classical Composition Fable Stage. It is written for a 4th grade level, so I wouldn't anticipate any problems with it. And the dvds can be a big help to you also.

Our lesson plans have broken down CC into little bits every day. Each day should take 15-30 mins. to complete, depending on what you are doing that day. The final draft may take a little longer, but that would only be one day every couple of weeks.

For the 2nd grader, continue to work on phonics and reading. We do have a 3rd grade Introduction to Composition program that you could pick up if you wish, but you can also go directly into the Fable Stage in 4th grade without having completed our Intro to Comp program. You just need to continue to make progress in writing over the next couple of years, mastering the sentence and then the paragraph. But that is something you will work on in every subject, so that writing well carries over in all areas. So, if you are working on copybook, insist that all words be spelled correctly and all sentences punctuated and capitalized correctly. If you are consistent with your writing standards, your student will learn to write. The other key to writing is lots of reading. Try to read aloud to your student every day, and of course, a 2nd grader will be reading to you every day also. No need for a formal writing class in 2nd grade. Just integrate writing models into everything your student is doing.

Regards,

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• titus2
    replied
    Trying again ;0)

Sorry, I tried to respond earlier, but for some reason it looks as if it did not go through (??)
    To answer your questions:
    We will be doing Prima Latina with both boys (gr. 2 & 4) since neither have had any Latin before.
    We will likely be doing Jack's Insects with gr. 4 boy. I don't see anything listed for science for gr. 2 (??) but we typically do nature journaling anyway.
    Our history & Bible will be through Veritas Press.... so really we'd only be doing Classical Comp. and Latin.

Do you think that Classical Composition will fit in if we are not doing the entire Memoria Core? I thought I could just plug it in like I would IEW.

Thanks for your help! :0)

Leave a comment:

• The Autumn Oak
    replied
    When you say "CC", do you mean "Classical Composition"?...I think so, just want to make sure...

Are you planning to do other subjects with Memoria besides writing?...Are you doing a core for your 2nd and 4th graders?...I ask because my advice on writing depends on the other subjects you are doing with Memoria...MP has writing across their curriculum for the early grades, so if your second grader is going to do the 1st or 2nd grade core plans, then you don't need to do anything else to be ready for Classical Composition...

So let us know your plans and we can definitely offer advice...We are good at offering advice :-)

Leave a comment:

• titus2
    started a topic New to Memoria...help!

New to Memoria...help!

Hello all,
    We've been homeschoolers for 10 years now, bumped around here and there, tried a little bit of everything out there.
    But this past year I truly experienced burn out. So in the fall I want to completely re-focus and set some specific goals that will carry us through for the next 10 years. I'm tired of "floating" from one type of schooling to another, etc. SO, I've prayed and settled on Classical. I'm somewhat familiar with the methods and such, but we've not used classical in a consistent manner at all.... so I'm lacking in confidence with all this. I hope visiting this forum will help ease my anxiety, lol.

For now I have 3 specific questions about the Classical Writing:

Q 1:
    I have one boy who will be starting grade 4. I want to put him into CC I, but I need to know if it will be easy enough for him.... he's come out of LLATL Yellow Book.... Charlotte Mason style. (We've always done written narrations and dictations, so that's nothing new.) Do you think he would be okay in CCI ?

Q2:
    How much time will I actually need to spend next to him teaching CC I? I have 4 younger boys who need my attention... you know how it goes ;0)

Q3:
    I also have a boy going into grade 2. What should I be doing with him before starting CC with him? We already use the Abeka Phonics readers (not the program, just the readers) for phonics and copywork. What would you all recommend to slide him into CC by grade 4?

Thanks & God Bless!
Working...
X