More Grammar Recitation questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Grammar Recitation questions...

I've already asked about this before, but after familiarizing myself more with the program and the accompanying books and also while trying to formulate my own goals and thoughts on Grammar, I have more questions.

I have an upcoming 5th grader who has been about 2/3-3/4 of the way through Rod and Staff Grammar 5 and an upcoming 3rd grader who has been about 1/4 of the way through R&S 3. I start them on R&S a little early so we can have some flexibility. We have not done Latin in the past. My plan is to do it next year but I feel I need to make some changes in order to do so. The changes I had decided to make was that I would do a Grammar/Latin time with both boys, teaching them Latina Christiana 1 and Grammar Recitation book 1 as a group class sort of thing rather than me sitting and teaching each of them their R&S grammar individually. As I understand the program, there will be 5 student books. I did not know that until the past couple of days. I had also seen the one handbook that had all 150 lessons in it. This is all well and good for my 3rd grader, were I to just use the 5 year program. He would finish in 7th. My 5th grader, though, would not be done until 9th. Does this look to be a solid enough program for a 9th grader? Would they be firm in their grammar and diagraming skills? My original plan had been to do a couple of years of the Grammar Recitation book then switch them to R&S 8 when he hit 7th grade, then work through it over 2 years. I'm just. so. weary. of R&S grammar!! lol These recitation books look good to me, and I love the idea of working on this with my boys together. Would I be better just buying the book that has all of them in it then setting myself a different pace rather than 30 per year?

I have recently been rereading SWB's Well-Trained Mind. She feels that a student should be doing solid grammar every year from 3rd grade through high school. I agree with so much of what she says, but I'm not totally sure I buy into that. I am also trying to get a good grasp on what my own grammar goals are. I am also trying to lay out some plans from here through high school, if possible. I realize this is just one portion of the whole scheme, but it is one that has been driving me crazy. I would love opinions, experiences, how you've seen things pan out for your older kids if you have them.

Thanks,

Teresa
    P.S. If you answered my last post a couple of weeks ago which was, basically, a lot of the same, I thank you!!!

Grammar

My daughter did not do any grammar other than Latin and Greek in high school. With the amount of reading and writing she had to do across the Kolbe curriculum, there would have been no time for an additional grammar course. Before that she used Voyages in English, which is a lot like Rod & Staff, only Catholic. For my boys who are going into fifth and seventh grade this fall, I have used either Rod & Staff English or Voyages in English each year. I like the variety in both of these programs (e.g., grammar, poems, essays, writing letters, etc...), and don't want to give them up. I don't do a separate composition program during the year any more, because I have too many little ones that need my attention to make it work. So when we do a composition course (Classical Writing), we do it in the summer.
    I actually decided not to switch over to the Grammar Recitation course. We do so much memory work already for Latin, poetry, timeline, science facts, history facts, then adding in Greek later. I don't want to put anything else on top of this. I'm okay with not following the curriculum package plans, even though the majority of my resources come from Memoria Press.
    If you like the Grammar recitation, go for it. Will your older son be hurt in any way if he doesn't finish it? Probably not. Especially if he continues to study Latin.
    Blessings,
    Jude

dd 17
    ds 14 (special needs)
    ds 11
    ds 9
    dd 7
    ds 4
    dd 2
    DD24
    DS21
    DS18
    DS16
    DD14
    DS11
    DD9

Comment

Teresa,

I am glad to hear that you will be starting Latn with the boys. My oldest two were in fifth and third when we started, and we did really well. I hear the concern in you post about grammar....keep in mind, if they keep up with Latin, thay are getting a lot of grammar that way. It is always easier to learn grammar in a language other than what you speak! So they will get the majority of their "grammar comprehension" that way. Whatever resource you use for English grammar is just an added bonus. (This is the reason the Grammar recitation program is so efficient)

Also, SWB advocates English grammar each year, but is not recommending formal Latin study as a centerpiece of the language arts the way MP does.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Also, you might consider "What is the point to studying grammar?" If it's for getting a great writer's voice in composition, reading excellent literature will get the student there in a way that grammar books always fail to do. If it's to get a high score on the SAT, then formal grammar doesn't have to be studied every year for that goal (I do love SWB, but she tends to over-compensate in many areas, grammar being one of them). If the grammar study is to coalesce syntax for correct spoken and written English, the Latin studies are the absolute best way to meet that goal.

Shh!!! Don't tell the big secret: formal English grammar studies every year (workbooks, especially) are more about lining the book publishers' pockets than about students' grammar usage. Shhh!!!!

Jen
        DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Thank you all for your input!!! Great points! Jen, those are the questions I'm asking myself about everything right now...why are we studying this? I'm also wanting to nail down how to do what we're doing for less $$, and that is hard when there are so many great sounding things out there. Sarah, I had not thought of that about SWBs pov on Latin. I'm becoming more and more geared towards Latin becoming central and we already read lots of great literature, so toning down on the grammar may be a good idea. In order to keep it inexpensive and focus more on Latin, I may just purchase the little green book and focus on recitation from that over a shorter period of time, throwing in some work from the R&S we already own. Jude, I agree I do like what is in R&S, I just get so bogged down with it while helping more than one child get through their level. We don't do as much recitation, so it may work. Thanks for the input!!!

Comment

Working...
          X