Greek Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Question

Is the Greek covered in the Elementary Greek Program the same Greek used in Greek churches or on icons?...Our family is Orthodox and wonder if the boys will be learning how to read the Greek prayers in the Liturgy :-)
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
    DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
    DS -13 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Hi Tahara

It's Koine Greek -- Common, or Biblical Greek. -- if that helps answer your question? I don't know if Greek Orthodox churches use Biblical or modern Greek in the liturgy.
    homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

Orthodox liturgy

Yes, if they learn Koine, they will be able to follow the liturgy which is definitely NOT in modern Greek. (Trust me, I am Greek!)

Comment

Tropicale,
        You had me laughing there. I think we should get a hand-count of nations represented sometime on the forum. I love all the different backgrounds and locations!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
        @ Home, virtual-HLN, & MPOA
        10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thanks you guys...So Koine is the same as Classical Greek?
          Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
          DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
          DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
          DS -13 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

Koine, Classical, Biblical describe the same type of Greek. Back in Homer's time the Greek was a little different.
            homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

Whoops! Sorry, was typing to quickly earlier today. Classical Greek, which had three primary branches, was roughly Homer through Plato. Alexander the Great spoke Attic Greek, a branch of Classical; Koine is Common Greek, a simplified form of the Classical, from which it developed. Koine is the language of the Septuagint, and the New Testament. It was the language of everyday people.

Comment

Think of it as three steps towards simplification:

Classical Greek was the most ancient form, then it was Koine and now Modern Greek which keeps moving towards simplification.

As a child, I spoke Modern Greek and was reading the Bible in Koine. In highschool we had to take Classical Greek. My classmates treated Classical Greek as a foreign language, but because I was familiar with Koine I found it a bit easier to study Classical Greek.

Every little helps, as they say.

Comment

Tropicale, thanks for sharing your experience.

I suppose it must be akin to an native English speaker learning the languages of Beowulf, and Chaucer ....

Comment

Working...
                  X