Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with blends

Hi all,
    has anyone noticed trouble with weeks 26 and on?
    We were doing great but now we seem to be hitting a wall.

Just one example is week 26 A Big Badge and The Lodge. She also had to do The Pup on the Ledge and the Judge on page 74-76. These stories give pause because she's never seen the dge blend until then. When asked to read a page of words that she isn't secure with, she's getting very frustrated.

By the time we get to week 27 page 80 The Wedge of Fudge should be easier but it isn't. She sees those words again and says she just can't do it.

I see First Start Reading book D covers sh, th, ch, wh in weeks 31-33 so that's good but how could we be doing weDGE when we're just learning to blend two letters together

1) Is there additional instruction for the American Language Series that I've missed?
    2) Are these additional readers part of the First Start Reading program or added in to help practice? This might help me to realize there will be some gaps where things just don't line up and if I keep moving we'll eventually get to it.
    3) What now? Should I add in some extra instruction or just keep plodding because we will cover this in first grade (will we?) I have first grade materials now, I just haven't looked through them closely because I wanted to finish K first.

I just now looked closely at Scamp and Tramp and duh...the whole book is on consonant clusters. All of the mp, sh, wh, ch, ng etc...came up with some trouble each time but I never realized slowing down or focusing in on the blends distinctly would have helped.

I see unit 5 of SRA phonics has sh etc at the beginning of words but didn't see any practice with the combinations at the end of a word.

Thoughts/advice?

THIS!

We've just started FSR D and Scamp and Tramp and Soft and White. Everything else she's got but suddenly we're adding in /sh/, /wh/, and more /th/. True we did that and there in sight words, but she still wants to do them individually so I was shocked going into these two new readers with so many blends that she doesn't have the first clue about. We have not gotten them in book D yet, we're still finishing up on magic e.

I've dropped SRA 1 and we've been using Adventures in Phonics A (went back to the beginning for review and now working on long i) so I was curious if I missed it through there. The Adv in Phonics has blends in it that I plan to assign for us now, but I guess I was just surprised we didn't get it in FSR before the readers did.
    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · Homeschooling since 2011.
    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 5th
    DD Summer 2011 · SC4
    DS Summer 2014 · K
    DD Summer 2017 · Pre
    DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

I just checked the EPS site (phonics program where the red & blue readers come from). They don't do 'dge' until level 6. I'm just finishing up FSR B. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll hold off on D until I get through the other readers this summer. My daughter needs specific instruction so this issue is concerning to me

Comment

What I did when I hit that....

and it may not be necessary for everyone. I ordered a couple of the workbooks from The American Language Series and used the pages that I needed to cover those. Once those were done, we sailed smoothly from there. Some children may just figure it out, but one of my boys needed the extra help.

Comment

I flipped through ahead in D and in another page or two we start /sh/. However I did notice in another story "says" and "many" and those two were over her head.

FYI L5 pg 32 starts /sh/. Then soon after /wh/, /th/, and /ch/. Then the blends with L and R. We're just not there yet. I just thought it odd to come across it in a "reader" when we haven't really taught/learned it yet.

Oddly I picked up my OPGTR that we just do on a whim when she asks and the next lesson was for /ck/ so we went ahead and did that. Next comes other blends, so perhaps I'll pour that on for her to get it as well as keeping up with the FSR D and Adv in Phonics A and come back to Scamp and Tramp and Soft and White...

I don't have any EPS readers, but I do have all the Bob Books (finished Beginning Readers, need to start Advanced Readers) so maybe there is something there to help as well.
          Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · Homeschooling since 2011.
          Trekking along at a student self-pace...
          DD Summer 2009 · 5th
          DD Summer 2011 · SC4
          DS Summer 2014 · K
          DD Summer 2017 · Pre
          DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
          Blog: Creative Madness Mama
          @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

We are just getting there too. With my other kids I used Spell to Read and Write and there were phonogram cards that the kids would recite. I've been thinking about pulling them out. You could make index cards of the phonograms as they come and go over them. -dge would be repeated as /j/, 3 letter /j/. And that's how they would get them in their heads. The other simpler ones are just the one sound like /sh/ or /ar/ as in car. Some did have more than one sound though -ch was /ch/ /k/ /sh/. Here is a chart I found so you get a better idea. http://www.avko.org/free/instructional/phonogramtosound_chart.htm
            Courtney
            Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Did you get your magazine? There is a big article on traditional phonics vs the Spalding method which is what I'm referring to. lol The article reminded me why I dropped that method. The whole Spalding method is very tedious and has way too much emphasis on spelling and rules. Some of it was helpful though, and like I say I may pull those cards out if needed. But as far as fluency in reading I've noticed just practicing with words that have the same blends over and over in reading to be most helpful. I moved on to the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading (Wise) with my 2nd child after starting with that method and the repetition was what helped the most. Every time you get to a word with a new blend, remind them of it and eventually they catch on. You can also start the lesson by going over the blends first.
              Courtney
              Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Hello.

This is all good information, and I'd like to add another point. There are words in the little readers that use concepts students haven't gotten to in phonics yet. First Start Reading doesn't throw new words at you like the readers do, but it is time to begin transitioning students into reading books that may have words they haven't seen before. Just help them out with those particular words and move on. If you want to, you can stop when you get to a new concept and read the word lists in Classical Phonics that use that concept. The important thing at this point is to help your students through new words without causing undue stress. They will always be seeing words they don't know throughout their reading, and that's okay. The important thing at the end of the kindergarten year is to keep having your child read every day. Whether it's books from the library or phonics readers like we use, they will come across new words that use concepts they may not be familiar with. Introduce the concept, and move forward. Mastery will come as they continue their phonics work through 2nd grade.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Just a thought, Tanya, that came to me as I was closing out our awesome kindergarten year.

If you had one small block at the bottom of the lesson plans with a row for Phonics review you could have the readers spaced out so we would get to read the Primary Phonics readers more often. I think if she'd had more practice with those she might have had more confidence all around.
                  Hope this helps, and all that to say the year really has been excellent!

Comment

Great thought, Momee! I'll share it with the teacher coming in to work on this next week!

Thanks,

Tanya

Comment

New Words when Reading

This is thread is very helpful; thanks everyone!

Tanya,

In your previous reply you said "Whether it's books from the library or phonics readers like we use, they will come across new words that use concepts they may not be familiar with. Introduce the concept, and move forward," can you provide an example of how to do this in the moment and after reading the book?

I find myself often supplying words to my daughter as we read a real book or harder reader. Should I just supply the word and let her continue reading? Supply the word and then teach the concept after she's finished the book? What's the best approach?

What resource should I turn to in order to help teach the phonics rule?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello.

You can continue supplying the words to your daughter, and if you feel you have the time and want to go further, you can always look up the list of similar words in Classical Phonics and read through them. But it is sufficient to introduce your daughter to these new words, tell her she will see more of them later, and move on. In first grade, she will continue to study phonics and work on mastery. For now, just enjoy letting her read to you, helping her gently as she needs it.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                        X