Is 7th grade too late to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 7th grade too late to start?

I am pulling my kids out of public school, oldest will be 7th grade. It seems like it is too late to use Memoria press curriculum given that some are subjects are built off previous years (Composition for example) Has any else went from s to this at such a high grade?

Mandy,

Have peace over this: it is never too late to start. I, personally, began my classical education in my 40's.

The trick is to start where the student IS... but not worry yourself to death over being "caught up". I think you will need to contact MP directly to do this, but you would simply create your own package, place your student appropriately in each subject, then STOP and LEARN. Master. Enjoy. Even for those children raised through MP's full curricula? It is not promised that they will "know everything". They will simply desire to learn more in truth and beauty.

You might be able to have your student read something like Greek Myths over the summer before tackling Famous Men of Rome, but please don't try to jam pack the summer with multiple subjects. The mastery of the MP curricula take place over TIME.

I absolve you: be at peace to be where you are.

Now do you feel better?

Jen
    DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

7th grade is a great place to start since it begins with Greece again. My suggestion is to do First Form Latin (finishing Fourth Form in 10th which is the same grade most high schoolers finish Latin grammar and move to translation), do the combined Fable/Narritive composition plans. Read the Greek Myths book and The Trojan War over the summer without any workbook, just read. Then you should be good to go with the ancients plans. Everything else should just be working at grade level (math, science, grammar, geography)
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 21, Physics and math major
      DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
      DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
      DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I agree. Seventh grade is a perfect place to start. We can tweak it for you. If your 7th grader hasn't done any ancient history study, you could read D'Aulaires' Greek Myths over the summer to get in the groove. I don't know how old your other students are, but D'Aulaires makes a great read-aloud for the family, and that is another option for the fall. For Classical Composition, your 7th grade student would need to spend a semester on the Fable Stage and a semester on the Narrative Stage. We can switch that out for you. And you would need to start with First Form Latin, which is another switch. Everything else should be fine. My only hesitation is that this is the year we read the Iliad and Odyssey. So, if you want an easier introduction to homeschooling, you could actually back up to our 6th grade package. It would still be plenty challenging enough and would give you an easier start. Whatever you decide, we will help you to make the best decisions about where you need to be in each subject. You can give us a call or email [email protected] We can put together a customized package for you if you can't figure it out on our website.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
        X