add-on K readers ordering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanya,
    Will we have to make a special request to get the old K plans? Or will they be available on the website too? My rising K'er is reading through all our Amelia Bedelia books right now, so I would love to get the old plans that start with Little Bear.

Thanks!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Sarah,

I think you mean the old 1st grade plans? You will need to request them because we will assume a student needs the slower start unless you let us know. But it's no problem to send the old ones.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Yes, I meant first....whoops. I keep getting confused because of what she is reading. She is a rising K'er, but she is ready for first grade reading. Should I do that? Do K with First grade reading? She has blown past my goal for the year, but I don't want to skip K.

Thoughts?
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Oh, wow! You don't need to skip phonics, but you won't want to spend so much time on it either. I'd strive for an accelerated pace through it and then move on to 1st grade reading. It makes me nervous when you skip things at this early age. But this isn't really my area. You can get better help from our teachers this summer at the conference!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Will sets 3-4 be used with the current SRA phonics book? We didn't buy the K package, but are moving into 1st grade package for fall. I noticed there is a phonics workbook that correlates. I am very torn about old vs. new version of the plans. I had him try little bear for me yesterday and he could read the first chapter with some help, but could not read it independently yet. We have been using PAL reading from IEW (not at all in love with it - it jumps around too much and I think encourages guessing and has too many pieces) along with ordinary parents guide to teaching reading because I had it and PAL was driving me crazy.

I am one of those people who is happy that you are adding in some additional practice before first grade. My almost 9 yo used your first grade package shortly after it was introduced and had lots of trouble with it. I looked at what FSR and the included readers covered in K, but it still seemed like a HUGE jump from the end of K to the start of 1st. We struggled through, but it was sort of discouraging to him. I am glad to see that I wasn't alone. I must say that not only do they need to be ready to start little bear they almost need to be ready to move on from little bear because there isn't much time spent at that level. Even if the text of the other first grade books wasn't that much harder, they were real books without the big type and white space my son needed for some confidence.

Thanks for the great product.!

Dorinda
            Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
            16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
            DD College Sophomore
            DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
            DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
            DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

Dorinda,

We don't have any written work scheduled for the summer with Sets 3 & 4. We just scheduled the word lists from Classical Phonics that are applicable to the books, but that is all.

When we start 1st grade with sets 5-6, I'm thinking we may add some worksheets, but I'm waiting on our 1st grade teachers to get over here next week after they finish their school year and help me figure it out. I'm not sure which worksheets we will be adding yet. But did you see that EPS has workbooks that go along with the Primary Phonics readers? If you feel you need to spend some time in phonics alongside the readers, you might want to look at those.

And your child was not alone in his struggles! We wouldn't have gone through all of this effort if we hadn't heard from many parents who students were struggling. We are really hoping that this makes for a better transition for students! I apologize for your 9 year old's discouragement and hope your next child has an easier time of it.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
              X