How to best prepare for next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to best prepare for next year?

We are using mostly MP this year for K and 2nd, and will be using the full core for 1st and 3rd next year, and some of JrK.

Kindergarten went great this year and we are managing our way through second grade. We will be finishing up Prima Latina this summer as well as continuing with math. We used Math Mammoth for 2nd grade this year (already had it and thought it would be a good fit for DS) instead of R&S. He is struggling with math fact fluency and has very low enthusiasm for math in general. I am planning to switch to R&S for 3rd grade. I am not sure where to start, or rather back up, with math. We review math facts/triplets but maybe not systematically or consistently enough, because they are not sticking. Should I just keep drilling him with flashcards and worksheets? Or do I need to do more than that? He conceptually understands regrouping, etc., but it gets frustrated at how long it takes him to get through math.

I am excited to use the full curriculum next year and have already been reading the front pages of the guides but I feel like I don’t really know how to “teach” the material. I am worried that I will seem unprepared. One reason I am nervous is that my son reads a lot about astronomy and Greek myths, so he already knows those subjects better than I do! This summer, I plan on reading a couple of the books recently mentioned on this forum. I can see the big picture pretty well but I feel like I get lost in the details. I was really hoping to go to the conference this summer to see things in action, but we have another commitment that week. How do you all prepare in order to be prepared?

Blessings,
    Mel
    Melanie

2018-2019:
    DS 12 - 7M, MPOA
    DD 10 - 5M, Delectare
    DS 8 - 3M

Hi, Mel.

Spending the summer reviewing math facts is a very good use of time. Mastering math facts is essential. Someone on the forum may have some more ideas for you, but worksheets and flashcards seem like they will do the job. It is just consistent practice that your son needs. And if that is all you are working on, maybe he will begin enjoying math again. Would he enjoy speed tests, or would that just make him nervous? Some students love the challenge, but others are freaked out by the pressure!

You will be fine teaching next year. My advice is to quit worrying about it, learn the material alongside your son (which most of us have done), and enjoy the year. Our curriculum really does take very little preparation on your part. It is all laid out for you, so you can just relax and read together. Then, you will be well prepared to help your son with his study guides and the retention of the material he needs to master.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,
      Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement. We will continue with review and hopefully be well prepared for 3rd grade math. I will just relax and look forward to learning with him next year!
      Melanie

2018-2019:
      DS 12 - 7M, MPOA
      DD 10 - 5M, Delectare
      DS 8 - 3M

Comment

head start

Hi Mel,
        I just noticed this post. Because you will be homeschooling three different grade levels, I would recommend you (not your child) read all the material for the highest level in advance over the summer. Otherwise, it is easy for life (sick kids, home repairs, etc...) to cause you to fall behind. You can make little notes on the lesson plans about things you want to add in or discuss. My kids love when we have a subject where they know something that I don't. It gives them the chance to educate mom. My boys know a lot more about weapons and bizarre science facts than I will have ever the time or inclination to learn.
        Blessings,
        Jude

dd 17
        ds 14 (special needs)
        ds 11
        ds 9
        dd 7
        ds 4
        dd 2
        DD24
        DS21
        DS18
        DS16
        DD14
        DS11
        DD9

Comment

Good point, Jude! A summer read-through of the texts and novels is a great prep for teaching!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
            Hi Mel,
            I just noticed this post. Because you will be homeschooling three different grade levels, I would recommend you (not your child) read all the material for the highest level in advance over the summer. Otherwise, it is easy for life (sick kids, home repairs, etc...) to cause you to fall behind. You can make little notes on the lesson plans about things you want to add in or discuss. My kids love when we have a subject where they know something that I don't. It gives them the chance to educate mom. My boys know a lot more about weapons and bizarre science facts than I will have ever the time or inclination to learn.
            Blessings,
            Jude

dd 17
            ds 14 (special needs)
            ds 11
            ds 9
            dd 7
            ds 4
            dd 2
            Jude,

I love this idea, thanks!
            Melanie

2018-2019:
            DS 12 - 7M, MPOA
            DD 10 - 5M, Delectare
            DS 8 - 3M

Comment

What I wish I'd done? LEARN LATIN

Comment

Momee,

Don't worry about "learning Latin" until you get to First Form. I promise you that if you and your child are diligent in memorizing the vocabulary and the grammar forms (the "chants") in both Prima and LC I, all will fall into place the year you do First Form. Your job until then simple memorization. If you and your child can get to instant recall of the vocabulary and grammar forms, even better.

I can see your future in Latin and it looks extremely promising.

Jen
                DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Momee,

I see from another post that you've already seen FF and are actually a homeschooling vet. Great! I guess I'll leave the comment anyway for those homeschooling parents who are seeing Prima for the first time and worrying over not perfecting Latin.... yet.

Jen
                  Last edited by Jen (formerly) in Japan; 05-22-2014, 10:03 AM.
                  DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Thanks, Jen.
                    I wish I'd learned Latin then instead of having to do it now when I'm also trying to understand the Greeks, help my kids learn middle eastern countries and understand The Iliad

Maybe you can start a thread for moms - How Mom should learn Latin
                    and tell us First Form moms what to stress over learning, and what to let go.

Stephanie

Comment

Working...
                    X