Please tell me that we can catch up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please tell me that we can catch up!

Okay....we have ordered all of our materials for second and fourth grade and I can hardly wait to finish this year so that we can start next year; however, I'm feeling a bit frustrated and worried. We have worked so very hard over the past few years and now I realize that my third grader is a bit behind. Specifically, I am worried about her math. We have used MCP math since Kindergarten and while I was never particularly happy with it, we continued because it was part of the Kolbe curriculum and I tended to not stray from their suggestions. After reading this forum from cover to cover and watching the last couple of years conferences on DVD, I much better understand the "why" behind the Rod and Staff math curriculum. My budding fourth grader, who does quite well in everything, does not know her math facts. She is pretty good at multiplication because I decided to really drill her on those even though the book did not. However, I completely missed drilling the addition and subtraction. I guess I thought it would come over time, which is how I learned. Now that I pay attention to myself, I still struggle with addition and subtraction because I wasn't drilled. It's bad when the teacher is still counting on her fingers!! Do you think that we can catch up over the summer? I thought about using my son's second grade Rod and Staff to drill her over the summer. Would that be sufficient? Any other thoughts on a crash course in something that we should have been doing for three years?

Thanks for your help.

Melisa
    Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
    ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Hi Melissa! Please, do not fret! Tha is the wonderful part about this journey....we have many years to try to get to everything. Also, as I have to frequently remind myself when I realize I have "uh-oh-ed" again, that we are trying to make the best decisions we can at the time we make them!

As for math, yes, praticing over the summer can help a lot, but at the same time, the facts will still be practiced in fourth as well. I just got done doing the oral drill for my fifth grader...we call it "mental gymnastics" as he adds, multiplies, subtracts and divides backwards and forwards. Just make a note to add that drill in from now on.

For now, just start at the beginning of them, and work forward. Do you have any of the second grade drill sheets? Or you can make your own in a wink....just give a sheet a day, for after breakfast, and don't make it stressful. Keep at it, and they will sink in. My oldest used her fingers FOREVER, and she has stopped!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

Sarah,

Thank so much for your encouragement. I do have the second grade black-line sheets and thought I would use those to practice with over the summer and just keep drilling on multiplication so she retains that information.

I am truly so excited to start a full MP program and I would love to call this year OVER and just move right on into next year's work. I'm afraid that my kids aren't feeling the same enthusiasm..I keep hearing, "WHAT ABOUT SUMMER BREAK!!!!" Ah, I will just have to be sneaky.

Melisa
      Melisa

dd - 11th grade using MP

Comment

Melisa, I felt the same excitement last fall, as we were starting our first two full sets. If I could go back now, knowing how our year went, I would have tried to have a better idea of my processes for each of the different classes. I thought I had read everything over really well, but I did not really have a good enough sense of them. So ilI encourage you to definitely give THEM a break, but you take whatever time you have to really practice your plan for each thing this summer, and even try to read the texts themselves at least a few chapters in. Whatever you can manage will be a great help to making the beginning weeks smoother, and it will also appease your desire to already be "in" the new material.

Just some hopefully helpful reflections on how our year went!
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

That is absolutely helpful and thank you, Sarah. I am looking forward to delving into my stack of teachers manuals and reading some of the suggested books on Classical Education. I'm also excited to attend the conference this summer. So, with that, a brush-up on math, reading Story of the World Volume One to the kids over the summer, and reviewing Latin all summer, I think I will satisfy my desires and give the kids plenty of swim time.

Melisa
          Melisa

dd - 11th grade using MP

Comment

xtramath

Perhaps you could have your daughter try xtramath dot org. It is a very simple site that drills the math facts similarly to using flashcards. Each week the parent is sent a report to check up on the cjild's progress. I recently started using it with my kindergartener because with 1 year old twins, I just wasn't finding the time for flashcards daily.. It is free, and would be very appropriate for a 4th grader since it is not cartoony or gimicky.
            Heather

DD 9, MP 4A
            DD 6, MP 2
            DS 4 & DS 4--going to Pre-K three mornings/week
            DS 1

Comment

Grammar Girl,

Thanks for the information.

Melisa
              Melisa

dd - 11th grade using MP

Comment

Please be mindful...we tried that site, and very shortly after, our whole hard drive crashed. I cannot say if it was connected, but it was the only thing I had done differently. Sorry to say....but we just stay away.

And you guys know I am not some fly by night making stuff up! My dh got it limping along again, but its brain is awful now. Basically only good for a back up computer.

AMDG,
                Sarah
                Last edited by KF2000; 05-01-2014, 07:25 PM. Reason: clarify
                2020-2021
                DS, 17
                DD, 15
                DD, 13
                DD, 11
                DD, 9
                DD, 7
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

Melisa,

Ooh...will get to meet you in person! Yay! See you in July!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  DS, 17
                  DD, 15
                  DD, 13
                  DD, 11
                  DD, 9
                  DD, 7
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Sarah,

Yes, we will get to meet in person and I am looking forward to it!

Thanks for the heads up the math site. I tend to not allow the kids to use computers at this age anyway. I suppose that I am in the minority, but I just prefer that we use paper and feel like they will have plenty of time to use computers when they are older.

Blessings,

Melisa
                    Melisa

dd - 11th grade using MP

Comment

Working...
                    X