Science Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science Sets

How will the science sets from the full curriculum work if you live outside the US in the Southern Hemisphere? I presume the Astronomy is only northern hemisphere & the trees/birds/insects are mainly related to America. I am sure the medicine/biology sets will be fine. Please let me know your thoughts and/or experiences.

While there are some constellations that we can't see in the north, or that you can't see in the south, I think you can identify a lot of the ones we studied in the southern hemisphere. It is just the timing that will be different. You see Orion in the summer while we see it in the winter right? And you still see the zodiac? The circumpolar ones you see are different from the ones we see.

We did insects this year and it seemed that a lot of it was written by a British woman 100 years ago. So some of the names were different but a lot was similar for us. I believe you would have some of the same orders(the orders studied - odanata, lepidoptera, hemiptera, diptera, coleoptera, hymenoptera,orthoptera) where you are but the actual insects would be different. The description of the orders would work then and you could benefit from learning them. So you might use a field guide for your area to be able to sketch some familiar insects? I can imagine you might have some larger specimens to deal with?

I'm no expert though!
    Courtney
    Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Thanks Courtney! If the main books are from the UK then that would probably make a big difference.
      Last night I went back through the last 50 pages of posts on this forum! I found the astronomy contents page and a list of the birds studied. So I can now go through those and see how relevant it all is for us. If anybody else has more advice to add please jump in!

Comment

Astronomy set will work!

If anyone else is interested I have been through the whole contents page for the Astronomy set and it is definitely fine for families living in the Southern Hemisphere. Out of everything studied only a couple aren't visible below the equator. All that is necessary is to flip the seasons for each unit or simply start the course in the winter. I hope to be able to start the course in June once I get the rest of 3rd grade sorted for my son!
        Does anyone have the contents page for trees and insects? Would love to see if it will work for us down under!!

Comment

You can see the table of contents from the online samples:

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/science/book-insects

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/science/book-trees

Does that help?

I'm actually wondering how to alter Astronomy for Japan, but kiddo is still a whole year away from needing to know.

Jen
          DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Of course!

Thanks Jen! I don't know why I didn't think to look at the samples online. That will be a great help.
            For what it's worth I think the astronomy set would be fine for japan. However I see in your other post you have a move coming up so maybe you will be looking at it for another country!
            If anyone is interested, I have now been through all the birds listed and that set is definitely for the Americas. Only 2 or 3 birds, I think, are found outside the Americas.
            Onto my trees and insects research!

Comment

This link will help you http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html They have maps for Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
              Courtney

Comment

Hayley, come back and tell us about the trees, too, OK? I'd love to hear what you find out.

My location is very... bemusing... these days. We lived in Japan for 6 years (multiple locations), returned to the USA for 3 years (and currently live in Memphis, TN), but are returning to Japan this summer for several years. I have wondered about Astronomy since we will certainly be in Japan (Okinawa, to be exact... 2.5 hours by plane south of the Japanese mainland) but I won't need to use the curriculum next year, but the year following.

Thanks for the heads up on the Astronomy and Birds!

Jen

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Jen, you will see about the same sky as me! When you're in Japan we are on the same latitude.
                  Courtney

Comment

Courtney, definitely when I was on the Japanese mainland! We lived outside of Tokyo for a few years (actually, during the 9.0 earthquake on March 11, 2011.... ugh) and the weather was like Washington DC. However, we'll be returning to Oki with roughly the same latitude as Hawaii or parts of FL.

Yes, it's sub-tropical and HUMID on Okinawa. We lived there for 4 years so at least I know what I'm getting into.

Jen

Comment

Insects & trees

Jen, astronomy will be fine for Japan, are you looking forward to going back? How exciting!

After looking at the contents pages of both the trees and insects sets, I think they are both usable outside of the US. There isn't a specific list of trees or insects studied to find out exactly, but there seems to be a lot of general knowledge about each subject. It would be more helpful to have the specific list though to be sure. You would just have to substitute a local tree or insect whenever you needed to, I guess. Also, I will have to research the extra books that come with the set to see if they are US specific. Watch this space!

Regards
                      Hayley

Comment

Info from Tanya

I just saw this info from Tanya on my other thread that I thought might help anyone interested in this thread.
                        Tanya wrote:
                        I'm not sure about the trees in your area of the world. Our Book of Trees course is mostly tree structure, photosynthesis, the structure of leaves, etc. We do have worksheets for tree observations, with a sample of the trees in our school yard, but you are supposed to observe your own trees and research them, so I feel it would be a fine course for you.

So that confirms that the tree unit would be fine for outside of the USA.
                        I am thinking insects would be the same but will see if I can find out any more info.

Comment

Working...
                        X