First Language Lessons v. copybooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Language Lessons v. copybooks

I was planning to use Wise's FLL1 with my first grader next year, but I am very interested in using MP'S Copybook II with lesson plans instead. How do the grammar facts presented compare?
    Heather

DD 9, MP 4A
    DD 6, MP 2
    DS 4 & DS 4--going to Pre-K three mornings/week
    DS 1

MP Copybook does not cover grammar in the way I think you are meaning. There are suggestions in the front of the book for you to choose from in talking about the selection but not actual lessons like FLL/WWE.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16: JrK 5-Day

Comment

Since you are still making decisions, here is something else for you to consider. While FLL introduces grammar concepts in first grade, along with copywork, dictation, and narration, MP focuses more heavily on solidifying phonics, reading, handwriting and memorization in the early years. Grammar is begun very gently in second grade when a student starts Prima Latina.

So even though MP does not strictly do grammar in first, there is copywork in the copybooks, but their reading program, Storytime Treasures and More Storytime Treasures, would be a great way to go. In those books students learn vocabulary, answering in complete sentences, discussing great storybooks, and telling the story in their own words. So maybe take a look at those, too while you are deciding.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Sarah, thank you for the suggestion. I was able to look through the STT books last night at Mardel. I was impressed by the grammar they introduce (tenses, nouns, verbs) and the literary terms. I have taught high school and college lit for over a decade but would never have thought to introduce onomatopoeia to a first grader. I will definitely be getting those books and the copybook. DH will be pleased with the scripture memory aspect of the copybook, as am I. I was wondering how to make Bible memory verses an integral part of our curriculum. Looks like MP has thought of everything!
        Heather

DD 9, MP 4A
        DD 6, MP 2
        DS 4 & DS 4--going to Pre-K three mornings/week
        DS 1

Comment

Working...
        X