If we choose not to pursue Latin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we choose not to pursue Latin

Will I need to add something to the curriculum package (3rd grade)?We are still trying to make a decision on wether or not we will pursue Latin. I am really not looking forward to teaching it.
    Karen
    Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5
    3rd and 8th grade (2014-2015)

Hi, Karen.

If you choose not to pursue Latin, you will need a comprehensive English grammar course, like Rod & Staff English Grammar. Since Latin teaches English grammar so much better than English grammar does, our English Grammar Recitation supplements Latin; it doesn't replace it.

You know, we have teaching dvds that teach Latin for you. Just a thought ...

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,

Thank you for replying. If I choose to do Latin I can rely solely on those DVDs to get the job done?
      Karen
      Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5

Comment

Karen,

I can remember my own reluctance to tackle Latin...I felt very intimidated. In fact, when I started my oldest two in Latina Christiana, oh boy, did I make it more complicated than it needed to be! (I took five years of french, so I provided way too much "extra" information!) But it is really not as difficult as it seems from the beginning. If you take your time, focus on memorizing, and let the understanding part happen gradually, you can get there. My kids have far passed me, and they love it. Just wanted to encourage you to give it a shot

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Thank you Sarah.

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          Karen,

I can remember my own reluctance to tackle Latin...I felt very intimidated. In fact, when I started my oldest two in Latina Christiana, oh boy, did I make it more complicated than it needed to be! (I took five years of french, so I provided way too much "extra" information!) But it is really not as difficult as it seems from the beginning. If you take your time, focus on memorizing, and let the understanding part happen gradually, you can get there. My kids have far passed me, and they love it. Just wanted to encourage you to give it a shot

AMDG,
          Sarah
          Karen
          Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5

Comment

Oh, the DVDs do all the teaching here I know bits and pieces from my time in high school Spanish & just knowing & using the English language, but the DVDs are *wonderful.* I admit, I got a little annoyed with the style of the teacher(s) on them, but DS didn't mind at all, and he seemed to learn better from them simply because it *wasn't* me.....I think it was a great decision for us, since I would have been struggling to get through the lesson and that would have detracted from him learning it well. We're on 2nd Form now, his 4th year, and he loves it and will be continuing through graduation by his own choice!

HTH,
            Abbey

Comment

The dvds will do all the teaching for you, but I would encourage you to share that experience with your students at first. This will give you an idea of what they are doing and help you to gain a basic understanding. I didn't get involved in my son's Latin experience until he was halfway through Henle and got stuck. I totally regretted my lack of involvement at that point. You don't need to memorize everything with your students; you just need a basic understanding of how the language works. It will make Latin far less intimidating for you.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

That is good to know. Thank you everyone.
                Karen
                Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5

Comment

What Tanya says.

If you simply watch the DVDs with your children each week (hold the TM on your lap and follow along with the side Notes), AND you help them grade their daily work by having them read the answers off to you (so if incorrect, they can then go and figure out the correct answer!), you will glean enough Latin to be getting on with. If you add the actual daily recitation, that's even better. That is how I "learned Latin" and I now teach Prima-2nd Form at a local classical homeschool academy. It happens so slowly... suddenly you "know" Latin!

Good luck.

Jen
                  DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

Working...
                  X