Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courtney
    replied
    Thanks for responding. It was argued that it should be assumed that you are exercising to get into better shape. I looked up irony a little but it is not simple. Is irony learned in logic? We recently had a question about it while doing Lassie.

Leave a comment:

• Jen (formerly) in Japan
    replied
    My son who is the captain of MIT's debate team tells me that people use the term irony incorrectly all the time. They actually mean "strangely coincidental", but since there isn't a single word in English to mean "strangely coincidental", they misuse the word irony.

Jen

Leave a comment:

• ameliabedelia
    replied
    I would say it is not ironic, as it is not unusual to be injured while exercising...in fact, we injure our muscles so they can become stronger as a result of their self-repair.

From dictionary.com, a couple of definitions of irony: the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning; an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

A person may not expect to injure themselves while exercising, but the lack of knowledge of how the body & exercise works would not make it irony.

Leave a comment:

• Crustulum
    replied
    I agree that getting injured while exercising in general is not ironic, but when you added that the person was trying to get in better shape, but ended up in worse shape- I think that is ironic. That's my vote.

Leave a comment:

• Courtney
    started a topic OT: Is this ironic?

OT: Is this ironic?

If you get injured while exercising, is that ironic? I don't think it is. But I never really learned much about irony and don't know what the answer is. The argument is that the person got hurt trying to get in better shape.
Working...
X