Changes Checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes Checklist

K will have one OOP book replaced {Abe's Fish for Baker by Eric Carle. [I forgot the title.]}. New Enrichment pages for the new book will be made available as a down-load from the MP site.

A new K to 1st summer reading package is in the works that will use addtitional EPS Readers and Classical Phonics.

1st will have 3 new weeks added at the beginning with the Little House Christmas books being dropped. More EPS Phonics readers will be used here.
    One OOP book {Miss Spider's Tea Party for [I forgot the title.]} will be replaced. New Enrichment pages for the new book will be made available as a down-load from the MP site.

2nd will have new Lit with titles still being decided at this time.

A new Alt. 3rd/4th track will split the current 3rd Latin, Classical, and Christian Studies plans between them.
    {I'm not clear how the other subjects are changing. Math, Science, Spelling, Read-Alouds, etc.}

Alt. 4th will have new Lit some of which will be Popper's Penguins and Homer Price. Other titles are still being decided.

Current 4th will become Alt. 5th, current 5th will become Alt. 6th, etc..

All changes tentatively scheduled to be ready {or mostly so} by end of May or summer's end.

I do not have any information about changes for the current JrK or 5th-8th grades.

That about cover it?
    Enigma
    Last edited by Enigma; 04-09-2014, 04:57 PM.
    The Older Boys:
    J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
    S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
    G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
    D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
    F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
    M- 9/16:
    2021: MP JrK and some other stuff
    2022: MP K and BJU Math K

This too. I had emailed it to Tanya and she said it sounded about right ... (So forgive my tenses.)

Kinder you changed Froggy Went-A Courtin to Hubert's Hair Raising Adventure with Lion related science added in replace of frogs.

Anything else?

I would love to know more about summer plans for going from Kinder into First.

In First you replaced Rabbit School with Rechenka's Eggs and related Russia books. You may replace Miss Spider's Tea Party (we actually got the last local copy!) at some point. You may/or are going to devise an alternate intro of the first few weeks with beginning readers before getting to early readers. (Christmas books may become supplemental only.) SRA 2 is being replaced by Core Skills: Phonics 2&3.
    Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 7th
    DD Summer 2011 · SC
    DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
    DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
    DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
    MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Re: JrK

Corduroy is now in the JK curriculum because Song of Francis went out of print. But if you already have Francis, you don't need to make the change.

So from the original JrK that I started with has gone from Tomie dePaola Mother Goose to Richard Scarry Mother Goose. And now Corduroy.

...schedule for using the Core Skills Phonics in order to match it in difficulty to SRA. ...using K & 1st grade Core Skills in K, 2nd & 3rd grade Core Skills in 1st grade, and 4th grade Core Skills in 2nd grade.

DD Summer 2009 · 7th
      DD Summer 2011 · SC
      DS Summer 2014 · 2nd

@ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

This is all correct information. We will have more detailed information in the next couple of months as we work to clarify all of this and formalize the plans.

Tanya

Comment

As an aside, the Core Phonics books look calmer/cleaner and more in line with MP's other materials. Yea!
          Enigma
          Last edited by Enigma; 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM.
          The Older Boys:

The Middle Boys:

The Princess:
          F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
          M- 9/16:

Comment

I'm just curious with all these changes, MP is still working on getting higher cores together too? Will recitation continue beyond grade 4 in the curriculum guides? Does recitation stop when you hit logic stage?
            Courtney
            Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Hello.

We will have recitations that go at least through middle school, but we just haven't gotten that far yet. I hope 5th-6th grades will happen this summer, but I keep piling on new projects, so we'll see!

And we are waiting on sets of Explode the Code and the phonics workbooks that go with the EPS Primary Phonics readers to come in for our review. We are replacing SRA with Core Skills Phonics and/or one of these other sets of workbooks, whichever one seems to fit the best.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

It sounds like first grade is getting quite an overhaul this year! Eek, I was hoping to order soon. We are having horrible mail problems and with a baby coming this summer, I am already starting to feel underprepared for next year. If we ordered soon, would there be any chance of getting the Core Phonics instead of SRA? (I am thrilled with the swap - SRA and I never got along.) I am much less concerned about the literature changes, because my dd is ready to start with Little Bear.

Lena

Comment

Hi, Lena.

Why don't you order your package without SRA, and then you can buy the new phonics books when we have chosen them? And we will send you a new curriculum guide incorporating those books at no charge. That would be the simplest solution if you don't want to use SRA. It will reduce your package price by $20, and the new books won't cost more than that.

Then you can get all your planning done before the little one arrives!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

So do you plan to keep SRA in K? I'm familiar with the Explode the Code books but not Core Phonics. Is there a link where I could look and compare? I've used Explode the Code in the past and I know they work well but I'm sort of over them .

Maggie
                    -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
                    2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
                    Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

I'm excited to hear about the possible ETC add. I hope that's the one you choose. We try to add them ourselves, but I always forget... Now if it was in my lesson plans it would be solved!

DD Summer 2009 · 7th
                      DD Summer 2011 · SC
                      DS Summer 2014 · 2nd

@ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Oddly I like explode the code online but not the books...

I keep looking for a sample of core phonics but have found only one page on rainbow resource. Very interested to see how it works out

Comment

Phonics changes

I'm curious about the Phonics book changes as well. What are the reasons for moving away from SRA? Will 2nd grade be changing to a different program as well? If we order a Continuing MP student package in the future, will you include a new set of lesson plans for the new materials? Explode the Code seems to take a drastically different approach to phonics...I like these books so I'm not complaining but also have been fond of the SRA books as well. Really I'm just a creature of habit though...I'll get used to whatever!

Blair
                          hilaryblair
                          Last edited by hilaryblair; 04-10-2014, 10:01 PM.
                          Blair

Mom to 6 sweet girls and finally a boy!
                          SB - 9 - starting MP 5M
                          A - 7 - starting MP 3rd
                          M - 5 - starting MP 1st
                          F & SG - 4 year old identical twinners
                          CJ - a rascally, busy 2 year old
                          GH - 4/17/2017, much adored, baby brother!

Comment

I have used all 3: ETC, SRA, and Primary Phonics with mine.

Of the 3, PP was the least repetitious and boring. We felt it had a good balence of variety and suffcient practice.

The pictures in ETC can be difficult even for an adult to deciper, and it gets boring doing the same page types over and over and over.... I must be dim but I never understaood how it was supposed to teach phonics even after using the TM.

SRA just irritated me and mine to no end. There wasn't enough practice. I am very glad to see it go.
                            The Older Boys:

The Middle Boys:

The Princess:
                            F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                            M- 9/16:

Comment

Hello.

Core Skills Phonics is a Houghton-Mifflin product. It was Steck-Vaughn, but I suppose they have been swallowed up by HM. I can't find sample pages online either.

The main reason we are replacing SRA is because McGraw-Hill doesn't want distributors selling it. Our core phonics program is First Start Reading. The SRA worksheets are only used as supplements to reinforce what is being taught in FSR. We figure that we can find comparable worksheets by a company that is more friendly to distributors, so we started looking around. We have brought a lot of workbooks in here to review and, of them all, we feel Core Skills Phonics and Explode the Code are the best we've seen so far. We are still waiting for the EPS Primary Phonics workbooks to arrive.

But in the end, the goal of whatever supplement we choose is to give students a platform for practice in the phonics skills they are learning. You can use whatever workbook appeals to you that accomplishes that goal. Nothing is a perfect fit with FSR, so if we really did this right, we would write our own supplemental worksheets. But that is a future project! In the meantime, we just have to find a product that does the job. We'll let you know when we've chosen it!

We will be replacing SRA in K-2nd grades, and for 1st-2nd grades, that is the main phonics practice students get, so we need to make sure that what we choose does a thorough job of instilling mastery as students become more fluent readers and spellers.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                              X