Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used 2nd grade for 3rd grade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used 2nd grade for 3rd grade?

If so what were your reasons for choosing 2nd grade curriculum instead of 3rd grade? I have a 2nd grader that is currently reading at a 3rd grade level and doing math at a 3rd grade level as well. Her DRA reading level is 28. I am waffling between the 2 programs for a starting point with MP. I have the LP for 2nd grade. I do not think it would be to challenging for her. 3rd grade would be very challenging for her. I think if we read most of the 2nd grade Lit between now and summer and make sure her add/sub math facts are solid we would be ok. I want to challenge her specifically in writing and reading [both areas she dislikes] so I am thinking of 3rd grade but I fear the meltdowns. I also think the structure will be good for her as well being an aspie.

I guess i am looking for reassurance that once I spend $400 for 3rd grade things will be fine

Thanks for your insight!
    Karen
    Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5
    3rd and 8th grade (2014-2015)

Hello!

I don't have much advice but am sort of in the same situation. I have a very bright 7 yr old, supposed to be in first, but has whizzed through the second grade material (not Memoria), including grammar and math, with an enormous hunger for books and a 6th grade reading and comprehension level. HOWEVER, her writing and spelling are on level for her age, and she isn't too fond of either. I am struggling with what package to chose as well.

From what I have gathered from other threads..3rd grade core is quite a jump in work load as opposed to 2nd grade. Like you, I want to challenge her..she thrives on being challenged..but I do not want to frustrate her as well. Also, I have gathered that their will be a "gap" year built into 3rd grade for those who would rather cover the material at a slower pace. So 3rd grade covered over 2 years (I hope I am not mis-speaking)..I plan to look into this further as well.

I am interested to hear some advice. I have found that the veterans are always so kind and helpful. Thanks for posting!
    Katie
    Katie

DS 17: Senior!
    DD 14: 10th
    DD 10: 6th
    Twin DD's 8: 3rd
    Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

It seems we are in a similar situation. I am leaning towards 3rd grade package , starting out slowly then moving quicker when she is up for it. We are coming from a online program which is no challenge for her but fits her visual learning style. I have some ideas to make some of it more visual for her.... For example, States and Capitols ... I was thinking of printing out the state outlines on card stock having her cut them out, color and label then we add them to the wall.... I gave the Greek Myths book on audio so she can listen to that instead of me reading to her....... And then start out with answering questions orally while adding in writing. The writing is probably what she will be most resistant to.

These are my thoughts at present....
      Karen
      Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5
      3rd and 8th grade (2014-2015)

Comment

Same here with writing. A good bit orally was my thought too, but also want to give her a push to starting writing a bit more. We use an audio for our history right now and it works out wonderfully. She narrates (iilustrates with a sentance or two) in her journal while listening. It helps her listening skills if she is given the task to draw what she hears and "sees" in her mind.

Good idea for the States and Capitols cards!
        Katie

Comment

You could go through 2nd grade at an accelerated pace. By the time you get through it, your student should be ready for 3rd grade, and you will have a smooth transition. Going from 1st to 3rd with our curriculum is a pretty big leap.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

another thought?

Tanya,

I had thought of doing just that..whizzing her through 2nd grade, however, my 1st grader is now finishing up a 2nd grade phonics program, English 2 from Seton, 2B Singapore math, a variety of Ambleside's 3rd/4th grade Histories and Science, and has read every book in the 2nd grade lit program and quite a few others. I just fear she wouldn't be challenged with 2nd grade. Really her main challenge would be her writing. The traditional path will work great for all my other kiddos (maybe even slowing them down), but she is just a different child.

All that said..What are your thoughts on ordering 2nd core, but subbing out for 3rd English, spelling and Math, and then maybe trying to challenge her with additional lit readings?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings I value your input and appreciate your recommendations!

Katie
            Katie

Comment

I think this plan could work fine. You just need to be sure that D'Aulaires' Greek Myths and the Golden Children's Bible are on her reading level. And take a look at the literature guides for 3rd grade. They are a step up from the 2nd grade ones. Even though her reading level may be above 2nd grade, a big part of the literature program is writing. In 2nd grade, they are working on mastering a good sentence that answers the comprehension questions completely, but concisely. And they do start putting 2-3 sentences together to write a paragraph. In 3rd grade, there will be more paragraph writing, and the comprehension questions will be more difficult. And added to 3rd grade are two more study guides where students have to write answers to comprehension questions - Greek Myths and Christian Studies I. As far as Latin goes, the main difference will be that Prima Latina requires students to learn 5 vocabulary words a week and Latina Christiana I requires 10 words a week + memorization of a grammar form. If you do the slower-paced 3rd grade, you will have 2 weeks to do each LCI lesson.

And we do have lesson plans separately by subject, so you can pick and choose between 2nd and 3rd grade if that works best for your student. It's a little messier for you, but one of the great perks of homeschooling is the flexibility to fit your curriculum to each particular student!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
              X