SFL and NLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFL and NLE

My son will be taking SFL next year and would like to also study for the NLE. What does he need to do to accomplish that goal?
    Also, he'd like to do Lingua Angleica, which we didn't do this year with FFL.
    Is that too much work for one year? HOw much time does Linguq Angelica take? I don't even mind if we just do half of it
    next year and then do the rest the following year which will be 8th grade.

Hi!

If your student is in 2nd Form, he could take either the Introductory Level or Level 1 of the NLE. There might be a topic or two in Level 1 that SFL hasn't covered, though.

As for prepping for the test, MP offers online prep in the spring semester via the online academy. They also sell NLE study guides. However, the guides are truly just lists of things you need to know. They aren't workbooks; there isn't a TM for the guides. They are simple stand alone "lists". So, your student will need to head over to the NLE website and just take some old exams for practice!

Lingua Angelica can be folded into the SFL study. See the front of the SFL TM for instructions as to how to add it in. Of course you can do it stand-alone in a year. I'd say it will take at least 20 mins per day. I don't think adding LA is "too much work for the year" since there are instructions in the SFL TM for adding it in, but it is a matter of priorities. SFL gets much busier more quickly that FFL which actually dawdles at the beginning of the curriculum. [BTW, 3rd Form goes even faster at the beginning of the year!]

Hope that helps.

Jen
    DS, 27 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 25 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 22 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 12 yrs, 8th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Thank you for the info, Jen.

I think it is the priorties I'm thinking about being too much work. My DS1 doesn't have too much work, but he's 12 and I have found being 12 takes a lot of effort! LOL So I'm trying to balance that with workload. I would ideally like for his 7th grade year Latin to count for a HS credit and that is one of the reasons I wanted to add those things in. I think he would get a boost out of doing the NLE as well. He likes external motivation.

Comment

Just a thought about counting the Latin for HS credit even though he is a 7th grader. Most schools will not let you do that. I am not an expert but if it were me, I would check with some schools first to see if they will let it count this early.
        The Homeschool Grads:
        J- 6/96
        S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
        G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
        D- 5/05
        F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
        M- 9/16

Comment

I will check.

In our state we can count math, science and foreign language. Usually though it is a combo of 7th and 8th that counts for 1 credit. I will settle for that if I have to, but I'd love to count it for 2 credits.

Comment

Nice! Lucky you!
            The Homeschool Grads:
            J- 6/96
            S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
            G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
            D- 5/05
            F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
            M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
            X