Changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes?

Is there one place that lists what changes/updates are coming for the grades? I am specially looking at K, 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 7th.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Hello.

We are still working on the plan for upcoming changes. I don't have any final answers yet. It will probably be May before we have a solid answer for you. We are furiously planning though!

Tanya

Comment

Thanks! How about just K and 3rd? Those are my most pressing needs.
      The Homeschool Grads:
      J- 6/96
      S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
      G- 4/04
      D- 5/05
      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
      M- 9/16

Comment

Enigma,

I'm not anticipating any changes for K except for a couple of read-aloud books that have gone out of print. That shouldn't affect you because if you buy the kit now, you get the lesson plans that go with the read-alouds books currently in stock, and if you wait, you will get new lesson plans that go with the new choices we make.

For 3rd grade, we are going to add a gap year if you want a slower pace. Our new 3rd grade will only complete half of LCI, half of Greek Myths, and half of Christian Studies I. The literature and math will remain the same as it is now because we feel it is a good fit. Then, we will add a new 4th grade year (with new literature) that will complete the second half of the courses we have slowed down. After that, if you choose the slower pace, you will move into our current 4th grade curriculum when in the 5th grade, and so forth. So, when the curriculum gets really challenging, your students will be a year older and more prepared for the challenge. You can still choose the original pacing if you don't feel you want to slow down, but we have realized that there is a huge leap between 2nd and 3rd grade that needs to be addressed. We're hoping this will end all frustration and help students to slowly ease into the additional rigor that 3rd grade poses.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

The new courses sound awesome! We are still finishing up 2nd grade {long story} so I will just wait a bit for that.

Thank you for letting me know about the OOP K books. Would it be possible to find out which those are? My library actually had all the original books. If any of our favorites are going OOP, I want to be sure to buy them now.
          The Homeschool Grads:
          J- 6/96
          S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
          G- 4/04
          D- 5/05
          F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
          M- 9/16

Comment

Actually, I was wrong. It is one kindergarten book and one 1st grade book. For kindergarten, Abe's Fish has gone out of print. I am going to replace it with Walter the Baker by Eric Carle. For 1st grade, Miss Spider's Tea Party has gone out of print. I have enough books in here to get through another year, and I'm hoping it will be back in print after that. I can't really imagine that it will stay out of print. There are so many Miss Spider books and things. If it truly is out of print long-term, I think we will replace it with A Visitor for Bear. We actually found that book through this forum! We do listen to you all!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

I'm sad to hear Abe's Fish has gone out of print. So glad I bought it this year so I'll have it for younger when she's there. My K dd has LOVED that book and asked multiple times to read it outside of school. Not sure why the fascination but she loves it

Comment

I agree. I resorted to begging the publisher, but to no avail ... The publisher is Sterling, who owns B&N, so I'm just a tiny little minnow in that stream!

Tanya

Comment

Just grabbed Abe's Fish off of Amazon (used). Sounded too good to miss out on :-).
                  -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 16 grand babies 6 and under!
                  2019-20 MP 2nd, 5A, 10th MPOA, College student. Starting 7th year using Memoria Press
                  Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Great idea, Maggie! I'm doing the same.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
                    @ Home, virtual-HLN, & MPOA
                    10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

How long until Abe's Fish is replaced in the curriculum? Will the other enrichment items be changed as well, since they revolve around Abe's Fish?

Comment

Hello.

We are replacing Abe's Fish with Walter the Baker by Eric Carle. It is a book suited for the Lenten season, so that work time-wise. We are working on the replacement enrichment pages now. I'm hoping to have them soon. They will have to be posted on our website when we make the replacement because we already have our stock of K Enrichment Guides for the summer. We didn't know it was going to go out of print when we ordered. Bummer.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Are you planning on replacing the SRA Phonics 1 in the Kindergarten program? I thought that I read that on another thread.

Comment

They are replacing SRA phonics I with Core Skills Phonics B for first grade. They just mentioned it a couple of days ago.

AMDG,
                            Sarah
                            2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                            DS, 16
                            DD, 14
                            DD, 12
                            DD, 10
                            DD, 8
                            DD, 6
                            +DS+
                            DS, 2

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                              They are replacing SRA phonics I with Core Skills Phonics B for first grade. They just mentioned it a couple of days ago.

AMDG,
                              Sarah
                              What are they doing with SRA Phonics 1 in the Kindergarten program?

Comment

Working...
                              X