Christian Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christian Studies

I plan on purchasing Christian Studies in the fall. Do I still need a Language Arts program or is this considerd LA's? My first thought was that this is a Bible study program My plan is to buy this and a LA's program.
    Sorry for so many questions. I am trying to figure this all out. I purchased The Latin Centered Curriculum, so maybe when I recieve it it will answer most of my questions.
    Blessings,
    Linda<><
    Last edited by beltran4christ; 03-22-2006, 03:32 PM.
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Linda<>< mom to
    Joshua 98, Annette 99, Caleb 00, Brent 01, Ethan 03 & Lance 04
    [url]www.homeschooling6.com[/url][/COLOR]

I'm just starting with this stuff........but I'll tell you what I know/think. We are just starting with Christian Studies I and to me it is mostly a Bible History type of curricullum. I think as we adjust to it I will be able to bring in more of the Lanuage Arts aspect if I feel the need........but straight out it seems like Bible History. That said, we are enjoying it....the girls and I.

I think that our Latin (PL) will work more as a Language Arts program. And once we receive our Classical Writing program then we will be in hog heaven.
    Last edited by Pam; 03-22-2006, 03:57 PM.
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Pam.......Mom/Teacher/Chief Tickler

Gretchen '98
    Heidi '99[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Eli '00[/COLOR]

Comment

Thank You Pam Do you think that Christian Studies would be too intense for my then 2nd grader, she would be turning 7 when I start this with Josh.
      Just wondering if I would be able to combine them.
      Thanks,

Comment

My 8 year old and 6 year old are doing the Christian Studies right now........neither one has a problem with the subject matter itself...but my 6 year old has a problem writing on the narrow ruling in the workbook. I also have to help them with forming correct sentences........but, for me that is a minor challenge compared to getting the subject matter /answers correct.

The other thing you could do is have the older child do the workbook.....and the younger one just give the answers orally. Teaching her/them to answer in complete sentences, etc. Once you find your rhythm with the curriculum (whatever it may be) it is easy to start winging some of the discussions that go with it. We are of a different religion then most and so we sometimes run into philosophical differences with the material......we use those opportunities to talk about what other religions belief.

p.s. I love your website........It was most enjoyable and very readable. We are using Ray's also!! Woohoo!
        Last edited by Pam; 03-23-2006, 09:01 PM.

Gretchen '98
        Heidi '99[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Pam. My sister help me set up the Template. Can you tell I really like my Mocha's
          Blessings,

Comment

Christian studies

Pam,
            I am just wondering if you are Catholic and that's why you are running into philosophical differences. I am Catholic and want to be sure that Christian Studies does not conflict with our beliefs, so I just wondered if you could give me any insight on that, in case you are Catholic, too.
            Cheri

Comment

I think that our Latin (PL) will work more as a Language Arts program. And once we receive our Classical Writing program then we will be in hog heaven.[/QUOTE]

Pam, are you using Classical Writing with your 8 & 6 yr olds? If so are they both fluent readers? Just wondering because I am not sure if I should get Classical studies for my then 8 and yr old. Joshu who will be 8 when we start everything is not a strong reader. Any input on this? Thanks for all you help
              Classical Studies looks pretty
              Blessings,
              Linda<><

Comment

We are Christian Scientists......... Overall, I have found that the program is more historical in nature and does a good job in staying out of interpretation.

Gretchen '98
                Heidi '99[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by beltran4christ
                  I think that our Latin (PL) will work more as a Language Arts program. And once we receive our Classical Writing program then we will be in hog heaven.
                  Pam, are you using Classical Writing with your 8 & 6 yr olds? If so are they both fluent readers? Just wondering because I am not sure if I should get Classical studies for my then 8 and yr old. Joshu who will be 8 when we start everything is not a strong reader. Any input on this? Thanks for all you help
                  Classical Studies looks pretty
                  Blessings,
                  Linda<><
                  The Classical Writing is for the 6 and 8 year old. They have been schooled together and both are good readers. The 6 year old (Heidi) is a strong reader who enjoys reading aloud to show off. The 8 year old (Gretchen) is a good reader who isn't comfortable reading out loud or in reading for long spells.......but, I think she is capable and just needs encouragement and/or threats to come up to speed. Heidi is a teacher's dream......she would be teacher's pet in school...............Gretchen is an ethereal being that flies with the fairies, she is delightful......different, but delightful.
                  Last edited by Pam; 03-29-2006, 10:15 AM.

Gretchen '98
                  Heidi '99[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Pam. In my post I kept putting Classical Studies when I meant Classical Writing. I guess that is what happens when you write a post before going to bed
                    When you recieve your Classical Writing you'll have to post how it is going. I'm just wondering if it would be too much for my kiddos Maybe I'll purchase it and figure it out from there. I can alway wait until the middle of the yr to start it.

I noticed that our kiddos are the same age. All about a yr apart.
                    Blessings,
                    Linda<><
                    Last edited by beltran4christ; 03-29-2006, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Classical Writing?

Sorry. I feel like I'm interrupting someone else's conversation....

But what's this Classical Writing program you've mentioned? It's not a Memoria Press product I've missed, is it?

Thanks!

Nicole

Comment

Originally posted by Nicole
                        Sorry. I feel like I'm interrupting someone else's conversation....

But what's this Classical Writing program you've mentioned? It's not a Memoria Press product I've missed, is it?

Thanks!

Nicole
                        Nicole
                        No it is not Mrmoria Press poduct, not sure if I'm allowed to put a link so I pm you
                        Blessings,

Comment

Working...
                        X