Classical Studies Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Studies Question

I notice in your 'Suggested Sequence' for the Online Academy you recommend Famous Men of Greece in both 6th and 7th grades and Classical Studies I in 8th grade, while your Curriculum package uses Classical Studies I in 7th grade and I assume 8th will use Classical Studies II.

I am planning to enroll dd in Grammar School Lit III, FF Latin and Narrative next year for 5th grade. We are using Famous Men of Rome this year, and were planning to cover Greek Myths over the summer and Famous Men of the Middle Ages next year (at home so that we can cover it over the course of a full year instead if 1 semester.) My plan is to enroll her for Classical Studies in the online academy when she reaches Classical Studies I.

Would you recommend covering Greek Myths next year so that we can delay Classical Studies I until 8th grade, or should we continue as planned and be on track to start Classical Studies I with the online academy when she reaches 7th grade? If we delay Classical Studies I until 8th grade, what would she miss in 12th?
    DD 16 | 11th
    DS 14 | 8th
    DD 12 | 7A
    2020-2021

12th Year HSing, 8th Year MP

Hello.

You can really go either way, and it mainly depends on your student. If you feel your student is motivated and ready to read Homer, then you can do that in the 7th grade. But many people find it to be a better fit in 8th grade. It is a rigorous course academically, and more mature students are better able to handle it. By putting it off a year, you really don't miss anything. If students go into college having read Homer, Virgil, Dante, and Shakespeare, they are well-educated - in fact, far more educated than most college students today. Because we read Homer so early, we have time for our students to read Cicero, Ovid, and some other primary source authors, but it is really just icing on the cake. The truth is that when students attempt any curriculum that is challenging, they get more out of it and are able to do more with it when they are older. It becomes a different experience altogether for them.

I hope this helps.

Tanya

Comment

So if we wait and use Famous Men of Greece in 7th grade, is there any issue with her reading the Trojan War in 6th grade? If we use the Online Academy, and start Classical Studies I in 8th, would still be on track to complete Classical Studies V in 12th?
      DD 16 | 11th
      DS 14 | 8th
      DD 12 | 7A
      2020-2021

Comment

That plan will work out just fine. So, if you read The Trojan War in 6th, when you do FMG in 7th, the first 10 lessons are on mythology, so that will review the characters, mythology, and plot of the Trojan War. She will be well-prepared to start with CSI in the online academy and forward from there, completing CSV in 12th grade!

Tanya

Comment

One last question - Any thoughts on FMG in 6th, FMMA in 7th and then Classical Studies I in 8th? Does it really make a difference, or would either order be acceptable?
          DD 16 | 11th
          DS 14 | 8th
          DD 12 | 7A
          2020-2021

Comment

That would be perfectly acceptable!

Tanya

Comment

Should they have read FMMA before moving on to the Classical Studies online class?

Comment

FMMA is not necessary as a precursor to Homer. A good knowledge of Greek history would be your preparation for Homer. And a good knowledge of Roman history will be your preparation for the Aeneid. If you want to skip FMMA and just do Dorothy Mills' Book of the Middle Ages before reading Dante, that would be fine. It is difficult to work everything in!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                X