Read A louds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read A louds

Do you all do all of the read a louds or just pick a few each year?

Brandi,
    Which grade/year are you asking about?
    Thanks!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I am thinking I am going to start her in 2nd. She is 9 and is behind on math but doing 4th grade level stuff now except math. The problem is we just had her tested at Lindamood Bell Processing center because I have retaught math facts every year since i pulled her out of public school in 3rd grade, she still doesn't have them automatic yet. We are currently using Mat U See but she still knows them one day and not the next. We have also used Saxton which was terrible and she has been to Kumon as well. Her testing at the center shows processing issue. They have recommended about 7 weeks of verbalizing and visualizing. It is 5 days a week for 4 hours she is going to do the first 3 weeks at the center and I am going to do the rest at home (it is $2020.00 per week). Her actual reading she did was at a 9th grade level, she even read the college level reading fluently. The problem is she doesn't comperhend what she is reading at all and vocabulary has dropped. So I thought 2nd might be a good fit her comperhension was at like a 2.6 grade level. My view is if she doesn't understand what she is reading it is doing no good. I would love to hear your thoughts on what I might do. I thought I would just use the complete program and hopefully that way I won't have gaps. She also has ADHD.

Comment

Brandi,
        Wow, it sounds like you have much to consider as you make your choices. I will tell you this, Memoria Press has an early elementary grouping of K-2 then there is a big shift into third grade with more advanced literature and heavier work load. I will tell you the second grade program is rich with lovely picture books (the read alouds, which we get from the library each week) and the literature choices are timeless and enjoyable to a wide range of children. We do that one picture book per week as scheduled in the Lesson Plans and we read them at least twice during the week. My nine year old son listens to the read alouds with us every week and has greatly enjoyed them along with everyone else. The literature books, which are for reading through slowly/comprehension and vocabulary development along with the study guide, include 4 Beatrix Potters, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Courage of Sarah Noble and Little House in the Big Woods. With the possible exception of Sarah Noble which feels a little more like a chapter book, it looks like a stack of "bigger kid" books, if you know what I mean. I think the methodical week by week study of these books might be a good place to start with your daughter. The third grade literature books, Farmer Boy/Charlotte's Web/The Moffats are significantly longer and the study guide work is much deeper.

If you want to compare the Student Samples on each of these pages---
        Here is a link to the second grade literature package: http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/literature/second-grade-literature
        You should note that Mr. Popper's Penguins is the last book of the year and the most advanced of the set.
        Here is the third grade page: http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/literature/third-grade-literature
        Farmer Boy is the first book in the third grade year and you'll notice the addition of Quotation discussion, Discussion Questions and Enrichment.

I was just about to suggest posting to the separate board for struggling students to get some insight there, but I see you've already done that. Cheryl and the others will probably have better advice for you all around, but hopefully this is a start to helping you choose the right level for your girl.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Thanks so much. She has already read Little House in the Big Wood, Charlotte ' s Web, and has started Farmer Boy in the past but not finished it. I didn't think it would hurt to go through them again slowly to see if that would help.

Comment

So you don't buy the read a louds kit you just check out at the library.

Comment

Correct, I use our library and reserve them a week or two in advance. There have only been two titles this year they've not had and I just bought them to add to our collection. I wish I could buy them all for sure, but have to stretch the dimes a little farther. I think you can get the entire read-aloud list on a sticky note at the top of the forum if you want to check your library to see what they offer. Others have mentioned that they either have poorly stocked libraries or are far away from one that is. If that is the case for you, the set would be a great investment. There is not a single MP read-aloud title that I wouldn't love on my shelf!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
              4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Right now I'm going back and for between the 3rd and 4th grade list, some excellent selections. I have a third and fourth grader and we didn't finish the third grade list last year. I have been able to get almost everything from the library, I think they didn't have one of the picture books. We read a chapter at night before bed.
                Courtney
                Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Working...
                X