Becoming multilingual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming multilingual

I'm just seeing the Elementary Greek that you have added and the Greek sequence. I think it's great and I want to start adding it in without feeling too overwhelmed by it. I also wanted to add in French at some point. How much is too much when it comes to languages, does it start to get confusing at 3 languages or beyond? I learned French and Spanish side by side for many years but those were very similar and I didn't find too much trouble with that.

What kind of sequence would you recommend to create multilingual students? (I want to eventually add in Spanish because it is my husband's first language but he hasn't taught it to them. I know MP doesn't offer Spanish. And when I think about it all it seems like a lot.) I have 4th, 3rd, K and 2 preschool boys. 4th and 3rd currently are doing LCI. My 4th grader has done some Greek alphabet in earlier grades. I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Courtney
    Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Hi, Courtney.

It is a big frustration that there isn't time for everything we'd like to teach our children! When I was teaching, this is the time of year when I started feeling panicky because I had so much left to say and so little time left. Since your children are so young, I would focus on a solid Latin foundation now. If you want to add in Elementary Greek, that is probably not going to be too time-consuming, but we recommend not starting another language until students have completed First Form Latin. By then, they have a really good understanding of how a language works, and adding another language is easier for them. I would play it by ear right now and add other languages as you see them fitting into your curriculum. Honestly, our curriculum is pretty full, and I'm not sure where you would squeeze in two more languages, but if your students really nail Latin in grammar school, adding another language that is based on Latin, like Spanish, will not be that difficult for them in middle or high school. And your husband could start using conversational Spanish with them now. Then, when you really get to the grammar of Spanish, they will fly through it. The time you have for several languages is going to also depend on how much extra-curricular stuff you have going on and how busy your children are.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thanks Tanya. That is helpful, adding languages in after First Form. I know I have one boy who really likes languages, he may be up for the challenge. I know not all of them will want to learn that many languages. And yes, there are only so many hours in a day!
      Courtney
      Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Working...
      X