Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COTRedwoods Pre-Alg experiences? And curious as to why the online class uses Abeka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COTRedwoods Pre-Alg experiences? And curious as to why the online class uses Abeka?

I've been looking at the College of the Redwoods Pre-Algebra books I've received in our 7th grade core package. Has anyone taught with this throughout a whole year? I'd love to hear your experiences.

In considering having my student do math online through MP, I noticed that class uses Abeka. Would anyone be willing to tell me why this is?

Hello.

I'm going to answer the second part of your question. We chose Abeka Algebra because it is homeschooler friendly. We are still trying to work out upper level math for homeschoolers, and we are seriously considering Prentice-Hall's Classic Algebra I. I have been working with one of our teachers in a cottage school who thinks her students have done very well with this textbook this year. I am currently trying to get Pearson's permission to print our own quizzes, tests, and teacher notes to go with their student text. If we actually go this route and can make this textbook homeschool-friendly, then the online academy may eventually switch to it also. But for now, we feel like Abeka is the friendliest text that meets our non-spiral approach standards.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Hi Tanya,
      thanks for the quick response.
      So can I ask then why you chose to use COTR for the core curriculum package? It seems to be a great text, I've never heard of it before looking at MP last year. I'm just curious. I am interested in looking at the Classic Algebra text as well. Thanks for the information.
      Stephanie

Comment

Hi, Stephanie.

Our teachers at Highlands Latin School chose the pre-algebra text, and they really like it in the classroom, so we put it in our 7th grade package. I easily got permission from the College of the Redwoods to use this text as long as we don't sell it for more than we pay for it. And we made our own quizzes, tests, and overhead masters (coming soon!) to ease in the teaching. I haven't heard anything negative about it from homeschoolers, so I will be interested to hear what they have to tell you about their experience with it.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thanks, Tanya. I understand why the online school uses Abeka. I think it is a solid choice.

I don't think I worded my question well. Why does the online school use Abeka but the homeschool curricula use College of the Redwoods?

Comment

Hello.

I asked Scott Piland about our use of Abeka in the online school, and he said they just haven't made the transition yet, but they do plan to bring the online school in line with HLS eventually. We are waiting to see what Memoria Press does as far as an algebra text. We are working hard with Pearson to get permission to use the text that HLS uses now. But while that is up in the air, Scott doesn't want to make changes to the online academy math. Right now, it is streamlined - Abeka all the way through. You can look for it to change once we make a homeschool math decision for the upper grades though.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know. For now we will just continue with math at home. Will watch for a change with that.

Comment

COTRedwoods Experience

I have two 12 yr old girls using COTRedwoods. We have enjoyed using it. I did order a book for myself so I was reading and teaching out of my own book so they could follow along in theirs. Some concepts I would have to teach more on but I assume that is due to their math understanding. On concepts they knew they were able to read the book and move forward without too much time from me. We are awaiting the 8th grade program and are looking forward to Classic Algebra.

A note to Tanya - do you have an idea when the quizzes, etc will be available? I intend to keep reviewing what we have learned and would love to have them to use over the summer. We school all year but this year I am having the girls reinforce their pre-algebra over the summer instead of diving into Classic Algebra in June.

Comment

Hello.

We have the algebra quizzes ready to go, and we also have a set of overheads that act as teaching aids. I just got the final proof from the teacher who wrote them today, so I'll be sending them to the printer in the next few days. If you need an in-house copy of the quizzes before I have them back from the printer, you can call us and order it. We don't have it on the website yet, so you can't order online at this point. I'm thinking we'll have them from the printer in about a month.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Hi Tanya,
                    will we have to request supplements like this that are added later or will I just receive them?

I just ordered the 7th core and know a few things are changing - like Mapping. I think I'm supposed to call but just checking.
                    Stephanie

Comment

Stephanie,

You will need to keep an eye out as we release new items. Ideally, we would send you new materials as we get them in, but that is difficult for us to maintain, so we ask that you request them to make sure you get them.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                      X