Facts to Know, Drill & Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facts to Know, Drill & Memory

I have the third grade Greek Myths, Astronomy, Christian Studies I and States and Capitals but could not purchase their lesson plans.

I have been trying to understand the expectations of course by looking at the lesson plan samples which has confused me. It appears that you study the Facts to Know on your allocated subject day but on Friday, you review the Flash Cards/Drill Questions. In addition, in front of the teacher guide, it states that "Ideally, a student who has reviewed this material should be able to recite all of the information in each of the Facts to Know sections by end of the year." This we have been able to do successful. However, I'm not sure how does the Drill Questions/flash cards come to play. Are we to memorize both Facts to Know and Drill Questions through the year? Do we memorize the Facts to Know until the relevant Review Lesson and thereafter only review the Drill Questions? When we continue onto Fourth Grade, are we to continue to review both Facts to Know and Drill Questions or just the Drill Questions?

Thank you once again for making such wonderful products. Deceptively simple yet quite challenging to master.

Genevieve

Genevieve,

Let me see if I can offer something helpful...

To start, you might consider purchasing the complete third grade lesson plans as it is only $30 and includes all of your listed subjects. It has weekly recitation questions that pull out the most important information from each of the subjects. We try to do recitation twice a week.

In most cases (perhaps in all the cases?), the Drill Questions are the same as the Facts to Know. In the back of the student book (for example, I'm looking at Christian Studies) you will find the Drill Questions divided up by Review Lessons (each covering five weeks of work). I'm not sure how they do this at HLS but we almost never looked over those drill questions specifically because they were already covered in the Review Lessons. That list is handy if you'd like to do a little pop quiz of sorts, but if you are learning all the material in the book you're already going to know all of these as they are the most important tidbits. In that respect, you could do a great cumulative review quickly by running through those.

On Fridays, I just had my son flip through the flash cards once on his own. If you don't have the flashcards, you can make them easily from the Facts to Know in each chapter. I did this last year for Christian Studies and am doing it as well this year. It gives me a chance to look briefly through what he's learning in that subject and it gives him a quick-review resource.

Does this help clarify? I hope so!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2020-2021
    11th year HSing · 9th year MP
    @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
    11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Genevieve,

I have a third grader, one who was doing an MP full curriculum for the first time. She does her reviewing herself each Friday, and I check in on it through the recitation questions in the back of the lesson plans twice a week. You could easily use the drill questions for that. It took us a bit to get used to the new expectations in these subjects, but through trial and error we came up with a system which is working for us right now. By my being more hands off, she is developing her own study habits.... if I were checking more, she would feel it was still my job to be on top of it. She has enjoyed the freedom, and the chance to wow us with her speedy responses.

Just another thought....
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 8
      DD, 6
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Hi, Genevieve.

The Facts to Know are reviewed for each unit, and then you can drop them from your review after that test. The drill questions are our compilation of the most important facts that we feel are the most helpful for students to retain for their future study. And ideally you would revisit those regularly in succeeding years, but I must say that this is a difficult thing to accomplish time-wise. Just do the best you can, and know that this material will all be revisited anyway as students study these time periods again in middle and high school.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

One more question concerning maps and timeline

Thank you so much to everyone who replied. It really did clarify things for me and took a load off my mind.

One more question, Tanya, would the advice also apply to the timeline and maps of Christian Studies and Greek Myths located in the appendix? Are they to be treated like the drill questions - committed to long-term memory?

Comment

I would only use the maps as reference points. All of that will be solidified with geography in 4th-5th grades where students learn to map the world. Map work is a large part of classical education because students are being introduced to so many cultures and world events. So your students will get very familiar to finding where things are and relating events to places. The timeline dates do need to be studied for purposes of long-term memory so that your students can always put events they study within the context of world history. There are a few dates each year that we feel are essential, so it isn't an overwhelming task and shouldn't be too time-consuming.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Genevieve!
              I just saw Tanya post on another thread that you can now buy the back-of-the-plans recitation separately, like an individual lesson plan, for only $3! Perhaps that would be helpful to you? Free shipping in February!
              You can find it on this page, in the right-hand column where items are listed separately. It's titled Third Grade Recitation.
              http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-core-curriculum/third-grade-curriculum
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th year HSing · 9th year MP
              @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
              X