questions about 4th grade plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions about 4th grade plans

I am considering using the 4th grade plans next year for my then to be 5th grader and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to get a sample of the plans that include the new MP grammar instead of the R&S grammar so I can see how it fits into the week?

2. In the online sample, the literature appears to have the student read a chapter one day and then do the workbook the next. Is this how it progresses all year or do they reach a point where they have to read the whole chapter and answer questions the same day? Since my daughter is a struggling reader I would prefer the slower progression of read one day and do workbook the next.

3. How obvious is it that the plans are for 4th grade? My daughter would get depressed if she thought she was being held back a grade (we are using 4th grade plans from Catholic provider right now). I could tell her that MP is very advanced and the 4th grade plans are equal to 5th grade everywhere else (I believe that is quite true) but I would prefer to not have her realize it is 4th grade. We will not be doing any R&S (math, spelling etc) and she will be using 5th grade level books for those subjects so the only place where "4th grade" might appear is the lesson plans. I can black out the title on the cover
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Momgineer,
    Here are a couple more of my thoughts for you...just wrote you about Insects! My responses are inserted in-line.

1. Is it possible to get a sample of the plans that include the new MP grammar instead of the R&S grammar so I can see how it fits into the week?

I'm sure Tanya can get you a sample plan that shows this. The first few weeks review the MP Grammar 1 from "third" grade (the first 31 rules). After that, each week there is between 1-3 "questions" that read like a catechism and teach a new rule(s). You teach the questions on Monday, do some exercises on Tuesday and Wednesday, recite them orally on Thursday and Friday. It is both succinct and thorough.

2. In the online sample, the literature appears to have the student read a chapter one day and then do the workbook the next. Is this how it progresses all year or do they reach a point where they have to read the whole chapter and answer questions the same day? Since my daughter is a struggling reader I would prefer the slower progression of read one day and do workbook the next.

Most of the weeks are read/underline vocabulary on Monday and Wednesday then workbook exercises on Tuesday and Thursday. Friday is a day to reread the reading from that week.

3. How obvious is it that the plans are for 4th grade? My daughter would get depressed if she thought she was being held back a grade (we are using 4th grade plans from Catholic provider right now). I could tell her that MP is very advanced and the 4th grade plans are equal to 5th grade everywhere else (I believe that is quite true) but I would prefer to not have her realize it is 4th grade. We will not be doing any R&S (math, spelling etc) and she will be using 5th grade level books for those subjects so the only place where "4th grade" might appear is the lesson plans. I can black out the title on the cover[/QUOTE]

After a very quick look through my texts, the literature guides are the only ones that seem to be marked by grade and they have "Fourth Grade" on the back cover. The lesson plans do have "Fourth Grade Curriculum Guide" on each two-page spread in the footer as well as on the front. If you are the only one looking at them, she'll never notice. But if she is using the lesson plan herself to guide her work each day she'll probably see it. I only noticed just now since you asked.

Best,
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Hello.

Jessica has done a fine job answering your post. I will get a new sample lesson plan uploaded to our website so that you can see the new grammar. I apologize that we haven't thought to do that before now.

I can't do anything about the back of the literature guides, but I can have the footer taken off the lesson plans for you and put a 5th grade cover on them if you feel it would help. We print the lesson plans in-house, so that is totally doable. You'll just have to email me as soon as you place your order, and I'll take care of it.

Our curriculum is advanced, and many homeschoolers (and even schools) are using it a year behind. We are even considering slowing it down for homeschoolers so that it will be graded a year behind. That means we need to have a transition year somewhere (probably between 2nd and 3rd grades), and we have yet to develop that year. But I wanted you to know that we realize our curriculum is rigorous and you are not alone in needing to slow it down. I feel like our math is on grade level, but our reading and history are definitely ahead.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,

I want to say how completely thoughtful it is that you would offer to print a personal set of lesson plans for one of "our" kids....it is a personal touch that you don't find in many service oriented companies anymore. Thank you for reminding me again that MP has the best customer service, hands down!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

Thank you for your kind words, Sarah. We are running a business here, but ultimately we are educators, and we really are passionate about providing the best possible experience for students. And we appreciate the support and help of you and our other regular forum posters. We couldn't get nearly as much done without your input!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Yes, Tanya, as usual customer service way above and beyond expectations. I would feel so bad asking for special treatment, but I will certainly keep that in mind. I really do feel like your curriculum is a grade advanced except for math and it is wonderful that you hold high expectations of your students. Most children are capable of so much more than we think (certainly more than the public schools think!). Any of my 4 older children would have done wonderfully with your curriculum at the current grade levels. This child, however, is my struggling one. In school she would be "average" or slightly below average and would (being the emotional child she is) become depressed knowing other kids get it easier. At home I can meet her needs and help her learn her way and I really feel she is far ahead of what she would be at school without all the individualized attention.

That is very interesting that you are considering adding in a grade level. I look forward to how this plays out. Education is something so individualized that it must be hard to find a way that works for a general public. Perhaps you can offer a more customized lesson plan- add in an additional grade either between 1-2 or 2-3 for those students that need one more year to gear up for the workload of the 3rd and up lesson plans. But leave the option to skip that extra grade for those who are ready. Then you could print the lesson plans with which ever grade name is needed. If you print in house on demand, you could even print the students name on the cover! "Adelynn's 5th grade lesson plans" Talk about great customer service.

I'm glad for my daughter's sake to hear that lit is read one day and workbook the next. This will be much less overwhelming for her. We did not do 3rd grade lit because it looked like the student needed to read and do workbook all in one day and her reading was not that strong yet. I know they go back to that pace in the upper grades, but I am hoping her reading will continue to improve (this year she has made great strides and is reading on her own. She has read 7 Boxcar children since October. This is big for her. She is able to read Charlottes Web on her own now. Since she was getting bored with the "reader" in her other program, we bought just the CW lesson plans to finish out the year. She is going slower than the 3rd grade lesson plan pace- doing just 2 chapters a week, but she is enjoying it and quite proud of herself. I even bought the 3rd grade comp book so we could just do the sections on Charlotte's Web. I had thought the idea of writing 3 sentences would freak her out (and truely in the fall it would have), but since she only has to do it once a week or so, she is doing well with it. MP saves the day again! I really look forward to doing almost full MP next year! We will do our own math (Singapore is going really well for us) and spelling (again, All About Spelling is really working so we will keep with it), but the rest will be MP. I am a bit concerned about the pace of Latin, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Having used the forms with older kids, I am very comfortable with adjusting the pace as needed. I want her to really master it and I am afraid once we get to words and concepts that were not in Latina Christiana, that she will need two week or a week and a half per lesson to give us more time to drill and review. The pace of LC is almost but not quite too much for her.

I have two more children coming up- a 6 yr old and a 5 month old. The 6 yr old seems to be advanced like his older siblings and I look forward to using MP with him starting when he is 8 with the 3rd grade plans. Until then, we cobble together lessons from favorite sources (Storytime Treasures and 2nd grade lit and Prima Latina being part of those favorite sources). By the time my baby is ready for school, I am sure you will have perfected your curriculum even better!
            Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
            DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
            DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
            (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
            DS, 21, Physics and math major
            DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
            DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
            DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Working...
            X