Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Anyone Using the Third Grade Package with a Third Grader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Anyone Using the Third Grade Package with a Third Grader?

I am just wondering...My son is in 3rd grade and we are starting the third grade package in January...It seems as most people use it with 4th or 5th graders...My son is an older 3rd grader (he turned 9 in September), and I guess I am just looking for a little encouragement ...I have this secret fear that the work will be too much for him...I know I shouldn't worry because I will be there to help him, but I still feel a little nervous...
    Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
    DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
    DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
    DS -13 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

I can't help you. But I did want to say I am planning to use the third grade package almost as is with a third grader this coming school year. My son is also an "older," turning 9 in November.

We have been doing much from the 2nd grade package and I've looked over the third and I really do think it is doable. Of course, I don't have any actual experience with it.
    Lori (wife, mother and educator to four children--second grade, first grade, junior K, and age 3)
    "To whom much is given, much more will be required." Luke 12:48b

Comment

My oldest used the 3rd grade package when he turned 8 (late 2nd/early 3rd grade). We started the year doing a lot of the work together orally, and then we slowly added more written work every couple weeks. All of the subjects were right-on for his ability level. The Latin was challenging, but not too hard. The science and the geography were fun.

The Greek Myths course was the most difficult for us. We split it up into two days. On Day 1 he reviewed the previous flashcards, made new vocab flashcards, and read the story by himself. We also got the Greek Myths book on CD so that he could listen while following along in the book. On this first day, he worked independently. On Day 2, we reviewed the flashcards and read through the selection together, pausing occasionally to see whether he knew what was going on. Then we completed the comprehension questions and the other questions/activities together. On review weeks he read/listened to all of that unit's stories again and then narrated them to me, usually about one a day. Then he took the test on Friday. We used this method doing Famous Men of Rome this year, and now we're getting ready to start Famous Men of the Middle Ages.

My second son is about to start the 3rd grade package in January and my oldest will start the 5th grade package. You definitely cannot gloss over important information (especially in Latin), but if you keep reviewing and don't rush through, you will be amazed by what he (and you) will have learned by the end of the year.

Oh, and after taking Greek Myths, my oldest (who never voluntarily picked up a book in his life) devoured all of the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus books. He loved seeing the monsters and characters in action!

You can do it!
      Jill, mom to
      ds10 (MP 5th), ds8 (MP 3rd), dd6, ds5

Comment

I am doing 3rd grade with my son who is 8. He is keeping up well even though he was a later reader and writer(he didn't really start clicking with that until last year) and he is in a dreamworld most of the time. So I do have him finishing up 2nd grade lit. and I decided to go with 3rd grade spelling. He does all of the other subjects as regularly scheduled though. I think you will be surprised how much they can accomplish.
        Courtney
        Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

My son did the full 3rd grade package (except for Math-we use RightStart for that) last year as an 8 year old. He handled the work load well. If I could tell he was getting a little bogged down I would surprise him by offering to let him dictate to me all the answers from a particular subject (particularly a longer workbook like Greek Myths or a literature guide). When I did that I would get some gloriously long sentences! On the whole, it was rigorous and he was able to hang with it. Hope this encourages you!
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2020-2021
          11th year HSing · 9th year MP
          @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
          11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Jessica and Jill, thank you for the little nuggets on how you're teaching. Those sorts of things really help.

Julie

Comment

We do all the written work by him telling me the answer and I model it correctly on the whiteboard. I did this with my 3rd grader last year and am still doing it with him in 4th some. Though with my 4th grader we have been more often just talking about the answer and he writes it down without having to see it.
              Courtney
              Mom to 5 boys-14,13,10,8,5 and the girls- 3 and 1

Comment

Thanks so much all of you...

We are planning to do a lot of the written work orally...The lit guides will be used mostly for discussion...I have to balance out the amount of writing for him...
                Tahara

Homeschooling two boys
                DS -19 (9/00) Homeschool graduate, 2nd year in college
                DS -15 (9/04) (SN) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin
                DS -13 (7/06) MP Year 8 w/ FF Latin

Comment

I am using the 3rd grade package with a 3rd grader... he just turned 9. He is our space-cadet, yet he is doing just fine with the curriculum. We do use the workbooks as discussion guides much of the time, though I do have him write some of the answers out. He doesn't love the Greek Myths, but he is keeping up. I did buy it on Audible and he very much enjoys listening to it outside of school time (this seems to help a lot with what he remembers, which is a nice benefit).

We don't use MP's math (we use Singapore).

I have him make his own flashcards for every subject, and he reviews them independently and then with me each day. This has helped him a lot (with my older son, we don't have to do this because he tends to remember things the first time through).

It is for sure a challenging curriculum, but one that he can rise to!
                  Mom to 5 boys, ages 10 down to 1

Comment

Working...
                  X