Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need History HELP!!

Hello,
    My name is Carol and I'm new here. We have made a big switch from using Sonlight to using Veritas Press for school this year. We have 4 children, 7th grade down to a preschooler. We've been using Omnibus 1 with our 7th grader this year and I REALLY wanted to love it, but I can't! It's SO much work and doesn't leave time for ANYTHING else to get done. I want to stick with a classical curriculum, but we're nearly halfway through the school year and I don't have the budget for a MAJOR overhaul. I can replace Bible, but I need to replace history and I have no idea where to start or what to order. Do I do the Greeks or Romans or Ancient times and what do I put with it? Please help me if you can!! :-) I'm in desperate need.
    Thank you so much for any advise you can give.
    Carol

Hi, Nancy.

We'll be glad to help you. As you may have figured out, our philosophy is different from Sonlight and Veritas in that we move at a slower pace, taking the time to immerse our students in a culture. That said, I was wondering if your student has studied Greek mythology or read The Trojan War. My idea would be that you would finish off this year preparing to read The Iliad and Odyssey next year. Then you could pick up with our 7th grade curriculum in the 8th grade. This will be plenty challenging enough, and lots of homeschoolers are doing our curriculum a year behind because it is quite accelerated.

If you feel you have a good foundation in mythology and the events, characters, etc. in the Trojan War, you could spend the rest of this year studying Dorothy Mills' Book of the Ancient World or Book of the Ancient Greeks. Then, next fall, you could move into Homer. My feeling would be that you need a lighter load in classical history right now, and either of these options would do that for you. I would only spend 2-3 hours a week on classical history. Whatever you don't get done, you continue into the 8th grade. The ideal approach is to do a little classical history every year, so students are constantly studying it, but it shouldn't be dominating their curriculum.

I hope this helps. I'll be glad to answer any further questions you have.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

We have been briefly through the Greeks and mythology many years ago, but I"m not sure how much he remembers.

Comment

Then I would do D'Aulaires' Greek Myths (2 lessons a week) and also do The Trojan War by Olivia Coolidge with our study guide. Then, next year you can do our 7th grade classical studies in its entirety.

And D'Aulaires would make a great family read-aloud for everyone!

How's that sound?

Tanya

Comment

That sounds like a plan! Thank you!!

Comment

Actually, I would do one lesson in Greek myths twice a week. It should take no more than an hour and a half each day. We use The Trojan War as a literature selection, doing an hour a day. It takes about 6 wks. To complete.

Tanya

Comment

Thank you Tanya, I think that will work well. I really appreciate it!!

Comment

Working...
              X