Hearing recitations and Morning Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing recitations and Morning Time

Silly question: The recitation is cumulative, yes? So on week 2, you do week 1-2 and so forth?
    I know in the classroom the recitation is tied more intimately with each subject but how do other homeschoolers do this, particularly if you have several sets of recitations to hear? After a lot of putting it off and forgetting it last year, this year we're using a tip from Cindy Rollins and incorporating it into our new "Morning Time" which is working well so far. (Credit: Cindy Rollins at http://www.ordo-amoris.com/p/morning-time-where-to-begin.html)
    We're doing 4th, 2nd and some Jr. K, so that's three sets to hear. So far, morning time consists of a prayer, scripture, 4th/2nd/Jr. K read-alouds, 2nd art/music and Jr. K poetry. For recitation, I hear the fourth grader on Mon/Tues/Thurs and the second grader Mon/Wed/Friday (her Tues is Art/Music and Thurs is poetry). It is working well so far and brings some order to our mornings which was lacking last year. However, I can see that recitations are going to get looooooong after a while. I do love that the kids hear each other though. It's so much good information!
    Thoughts?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

I also have recitations part of our morning routine. We do them everyday although I'm rotating between catechism questions one day and MP recitations the opposite days. I listen to everyone each day. We always do the current week's questions but I rotate which old questions I do. Sometimes we will go back and do "week 2" as the extra, the next week I might do "week 3" as the extra questions. I also kind of mentally mark or mark with pencil what is truly mastered. I'm not going to keep asking them the days of the week if they can do it in their sleep, if you know what I mean.

I agree that I think it is good for the youngers to hear the olders so they start to pick up the info, and it is good review for the olders to hear and encourage the youngers.

I think your schedule sounds good and if it working for you, that is all that is important!
    Lori (wife, mother and educator to four children)
    "To whom much is given, much more will be required." Luke 12:48b

Comment

I'm not as organized, but...

We don't have a built in morning time. To make sure our recitations don't get overly long, or dull, I use that memory system box that was floating around the internet awhile ago. I have a box for the flashcards (I write the recitations on flashcards) and the new ones go in front. We say them daily until they know them at which point they are moved to an odd/even slot in the box (card dividers marked "odd"/"even"). If they can say it when it comes around again, it goes into a once a week file slot (labeled M-F), and then from there to a specific day of the month. I think I may throw in the wayyyy back of the card file after that to review quarterly or hold "challenge" days to see what they can remember.

We put all of our memory work in this box so Latin, History, Astronomy, Greek Mythology, Christian Studies, (all of these subjects dependent on the grade of the child, obviously) so that I'm actually reviewing with them the cards on a regular basis and they are actually memorizing what they should be memorizing! This has been a real struggle in our homeschool. This is the year I said I was going to buckle down on the memory work, and so far (knock on wood) so good. I'm contemplating making Friday a formal recitation day so that they get the practice of standing up straight and reciting from memory their work. Also, I'm lazy so I order the flash cards whenever they are available from MP.
      Homeschooling girl {C-11} and two boys {P-8, A-6}

Comment

Hello.

The recitations are cumulative, but when they get burdensome because of the mass of questions that have built up, start dropping the ones your students know dead-on. Just go back and review those every now and then. This recitation time shouldn't take more than 10 mins. of your day (per student).

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Just a putting in a plug for flashcards for the recitation questions and answers.
          The Homeschool Grads:
          J- 6/96
          S- 11/98

Homeschooling:
          G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
          D- 5/05
          F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
          M- 9/16: JrK

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you each for taking the time to respond. I am always inspired and encouraged to hear how other families are making it work.
            Warmly,
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
            12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
            10th • HLN, Latin online
            7th • HLN & Home
            4th • HLN & Home
            Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I love the box idea!

ChristineC I love the idea of even and odds and then moving to weekly and so on! With Latin for instance, there are so many cards, do you still have them all together?
              -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 17 grand babies 7 and under!
              2020/21 MP 3rd, 6th, 11th MPOA, College student. Starting 8th year using Memoria Press
              Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

This is just a side note, but one of the things I do with my children who can read is have a five minute memory time period where they practice ANYTHING that needs memorizing by themselves. Each week I type up what they are working on in each subject (math terms from Rod and staff, latin words, catechism questions, recitation questions, locating states, etc) and put it in their work box. At some point during the day they are required to set a timer for five minutes and to just go over their paper by themselves.

I don't actually recommend this "type it up" method because it is taking forever. I think having a pack of flash cards they could use would be much simpler. I really liked the idea of them having a book to put together of all their memory work sheets though to have at the end of the year. Of course, next year, I might like the book idea less and might like the stack of cards better!
                Lori (wife, mother and educator to four children)
                "To whom much is given, much more will be required." Luke 12:48b

Comment

Work box and Memoria Press

Anyone use a workbox approach with MP. I have 4 I am currently homeschooling, two of which have special needs. I am having a hard time getting all the lessons done. I would hate to give up MP, but it is such a struggle to complete all levels. I am using K,2,3. I cannot really combine 2 and 3 as I do 2 with the special need kids. Any help? Susan

Comment

Binder for Recitation

We use the binder approach along with flash card "time." I have a reader who needs large print so I typed up the recitation for each subject and placed in three-ring binder. I sectioned by subject. Of course once the others saw the binder they wanted one too. All 5 (7th, 5th and K) have a recitation binder and everybody recites from the same material (excepting K). Everyone also has their MP flashcards (love them) and they are expected to spend time memorizing from the cards on their own. We recite each day but T/TH we use the binders to take an extra 10 min and play challenge games.

Comment

And we are slowing down 3rd grade for you if you want a slower approach. We just need a couple of months to get it done. Don't feel you have to finish all the material this year!

Cheers,

Tanya

Comment

Hearing recitations and morning time

Tanya, I would like a slower approach to third grade, but I have already ordered all my materials. I cannot tell you how much MP means to me. Susan

Comment

Tanya,

Which subjects are being slowed down? I just received my 3rd grade package and am curious what whould be changed to 1/2 pace and how.
                          Karen
                          Mom to DD-13 and DD-8.5
                          3rd and 8th grade (2014-2015)

Comment

Hello.

In our slower approach to 3rd grade, we are going to take 2 years to complete Latina Christiana I, Greek Myths, Christian Studies, English Grammar Recitation I, and Intro. to Composition. We are going to leave literature, math, States & Capitals, and spelling as they are. If you already have your package, all you will need is the new slower-paced lesson plans when they are complete. I'm working on them now and hope to have them by the end of June, if not sooner. Just check back when they are ready, and we'll be glad to replace your current curriculum guide with the new slowed-down version.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Hearing recitations and morning time

I am so excited that you will have the plans done soon. The slower pace will help greatly. Thanks, Susan

Comment

Working...
                              X