Fable stage - paraphrase by telling the story backward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fable stage - paraphrase by telling the story backward

In CC Fable stage, when it has the student retell the story backward, beginning with the commonplace, does it intend the student to tell the story totally in reverse? I assume not, but that is what my little one did today after reading the directions. I thought I would make sure there wasn't some grander purpose I am missing that would make telling the story completely backward worthwhile.

EX: Commonplace - The fox walked away empty-handed - The fox tried again unsuccessfully. ETC.

We had some tears with this assignment. Not as easy as it sounds Hopefully, as I told my boys, it will come easier with practice.
    Blessings,
    Kelly

Comment

No, it doesn't mean that the story should be told totally in reverse. Earlier on the student has created an outline of the story. That outline is broken down into parts one, two, and three (in a play they would be acts one, two, and three). So when the directions ask for the story to be told in reverse, it means tell act three, then act two, then act one.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Paul
      Paul Schaeffer
      --
      Academy Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

I'd like to jump in here and say that this is a difficult assignment, and there is nothing wrong with working it out together with your student. When you get ready to do the reversal, talk it through together, come up with the sentences one by one, write them on a board, and then have your student copy the final result. Students need to see things like this modeled, and that takes away a lot of the pressure too. They finish the assignment feeling they have accomplished something difficult, and eventually, they will be able to do it independently. Until then, I'd suggest a group effort in order to alleviate stress and tears!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

This is very helpful, Tanya, thank you! We, my boys and I, did work through the assignment together but we still had tears:P This week I will do as you suggest as write each sentence on the white board for them to copy. I think that will help. They are really enjoying the fables and I believe that eventually this will all come together for us. I so appreciate this board where we can come for suggestions or just empathy when needed
          Blessings,
          Kelly

Comment

Working...
          X