Geography II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geography II

Hi I am a little confused. We are doing Geography II this year and the lesson plans in Grade 5 have us doing
    Monday
    Geography I review
    Geography II lesson

Fridays,
    Geography I review and quiz

not a quiz for Geography II?

We just did all of the quizzes last year for Geography I.

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't we quiz on the new material?
    Catholic mama of 2 somewhere in the world on our sailboat:)
    dd 7th grade 12 yrs old
    ds 5th grade, 10 yrs old

So I found some quizzes & tests in the back of Geography II however, nothing for lessons 4-8 and only a quiz for 1-4 and then 9-12 nothing more on quizzes only tests - maybe I got the "not quite ready Geography" set?
    dd 7th grade 12 yrs old
    ds 5th grade, 10 yrs old

Comment

Hello.

There are not as many quizzes in Geography II as there are in Geography I. I feel like our reasoning behind this is that the students are now older and not needing the reinforcement of a weekly quiz in order to prepare for a test on multiple countries. But if you want a weekly quiz, you could just make a copy of the map for the week from the student workbook before your student has filled it out and give that as a quiz at the end of the week. When I was teaching, I used a book that I think is out of print now called Uncle Josh's Outline Maps. I would throw blank maps at my students all the time and tell them to fill them in. Maybe someone will know of a good replacement for Uncle Josh. I haven't taught for several years, so I am out of touch on the latest supplements available.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

GeoMatters still sells Uncle Josh Outline Maps. I also see it on CBD.com and RainbowResource.

GeoMatters website:
        http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/product/uncle-joshs-outline-map-book
        Last edited by CherryBlossomMJ; 08-27-2013, 05:30 PM. Reason: ETA
        Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · Homeschooling since 2011.
        Trekking along at a student self-pace...
        DD Summer 2009 · 5th
        DD Summer 2011 · SC4
        DS Summer 2014 · K
        DD Summer 2017 · Pre
        DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
        Blog: Creative Madness Mama
        @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Thanks Tanya,

I still don't get it. The lesson plans themselves do not ever mention giving a quiz or test in Geography II throughout the year, only Geography I (every single Fri). I guess the lesson plans are the prob. Do you have a schedule for the quizzes/tests for Geo II and when to give them, i.e. after which lessons so I can add it in my lesson plans?

Thanks,
          Catherine
          dd 7th grade 12 yrs old
          ds 5th grade, 10 yrs old

Comment

Not looking for more quizzes, just looking for what we should have in line with our lesson plans.

Well, I found where some of the problems are and made adjustments to my lesson books. Some quizzes are issued I found in my lesson book but none of the tests (odd as they are in the manual) but some quizzes are just simply missing from my teacher manual, i.e. quiz 3. however there's a test 3 so I guess I give that. Also no idea when to give test 2, 3, 4 & 5 as it's not in the plans! No biggie, will work it out as we go.
            Blessings,
            Catherine
            dd 7th grade 12 yrs old
            ds 5th grade, 10 yrs old

Comment

Catherine,

You are right that there are some oddities in those plans! We will be working on fixing those. For the moment though, you can find the unit tests assigned on Mondays (when I originally looked through the plans I missed them because I assumed they would be on Fridays). The Unit 5 test is still missing though. Our teacher probably just put it in there as optional because you don't necessarily need a test for the last unit right before giving a final exam.

Hope this helps,
              Paul
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Academy Director
              Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you Paul,

I was also looking for Friday tests/quizzes & oops there they are one Mondays! Test 5 we will just work in as we can.

Thanks again, sorry my mistake - busy trying to get everything ready for next week and too scatter brained to see what's in my book,

Blessings,
                Cat
                dd 7th grade 12 yrs old
                ds 5th grade, 10 yrs old

Comment

Working...
                X