Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The assigning of Johnny Tremain in grade 6 core seems...out of place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The assigning of Johnny Tremain in grade 6 core seems...out of place?

There aren't any other historical fiction assignments as far as I can see and this book wasn't included in the core materials.

Strange...??

Originally posted by momee View Post
    There aren't any other historical fiction assignments as far as I can see and this book wasn't included in the core materials.

Strange...??
    No, it isn't included but we did that last year and just got one at the library. We were able to reserve
    it well in advance to make sure it would be available when we needed it. Most libraries stock many copies of this book. It is well worth reading.
    Catholic mama of 2 somewhere in the world on our sailboat:)
    dd 7th grade 12 yrs old
    ds 5th grade, 10 yrs old

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I'm not as stumped by how to find the book as I am as to why it was included. I don't see any other American History literature assigned.

Comment

Not really out of place. It goes right along with the American revolution that you will have studied. It is the only Am History lit assigned other than the Grueber bk (sp). maybe I don't understand your question though. Tanya will help
        Catholic mama of 2 somewhere in the world on our sailboat:)
        dd 7th grade 12 yrs old
        ds 5th grade, 10 yrs old

Comment

It's not that big of a deal. After coming from Sonlight and Tapestry of Grace - which is a TON of historical fiction assignments - I was just surprised to see it and not others. I know we can add our own, and with my inventory of history books from using the WTM over the years, we have plenty.

Just curious. I see now that Highlands assigns multiple AHist lit over the course of grades 3-6. Johnny Tremain is just one in a string of books over the years students read.

http://www.thelatinschool.org/academics/american/
          Last edited by momee; 08-23-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Sorry to be so long in responding to your question. We are very busy in the warehouse right now, and my Inbox is suffering!

You are right that Johnny Tremain is a book that our teachers assign the students to read without formally studying it in class. We felt like we needed some American historical fiction in the grammar school, but we don't have room for it. So, our original goal was to have students read 3 novels each year, but that fell by the wayside because of lack of time. Our 6th graders do still read Tremain, and they used to read Carry On, Mr. Bowditch (which is one of my favorites), but that got dropped due to lack of time. Our ultimate goal is to have a good list of grammar school American historical novels that students can read as they have time, and I feel like homeschoolers can get this done!

I apologize for the confusion!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

No need for apology. I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the explanation and your determined effort to answer questions on this forum. I'm sure you are busy.

Comment

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch

I think Carry On, Mr. Bowditch would fit very well with 7th grade, when they study Tiner's Planet Earth. Many common topics between the two books!
                Cindy Davis
                Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
                ds-26 college graduate: independent young adult
                ds-24 college graduate: 3rd year med school
                dd-22 college graduate: working as a registered nurse

Comment

I totally agree! How fun that would be! I'm going to see if I can fit that into our lesson plans this fall.

Thanks,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                  X