Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the forum and MP; need help planning school year with 2nd and 3rd graders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum and MP; need help planning school year with 2nd and 3rd graders

Hi,

I am new to MP and am hoping for assistance planning out my school year. I have 4 boys, (9,7,3, 4 mo). I will be schooling 2nd and 3rd graders. I also help my husband in the office with his Handyman business, so a few hours a day are required to admin work. The boys ended the school year with drudgery and frustration. I was recuperating from delivery of my latest little one.

Both boys have had exposure to some Latin in our prior curriculum. They are both weak in Math. The older one is reading comfortably, the younger is struggling. So where to begin? How much can I combine and school together without holding one back and expecting to much from the other?

Appreciate any assistance.

Christy

Hi, Christy.

I'll be glad to try to help you. Until your struggling reader has mastered reading, that needs to be your focus with that student. Could he read The Courage of Sarah Noble, which starts our 2nd grade literature? If not, I'd try More StoryTime Treasures, which is the middle to the end of our 1st grade program. It begins with Billy & Blaze. I feel like he probably needs to do our 2nd grade curriculum package this year to solidify the basics of reading, writing, and math. The core elements of this program can probably be completed in 2-3 hours a day. Then, your 3rd grader can work at his own level in our 3rd grade program. And the 2nd grader can get his science, social studies, etc. with the 3rd grader. This would include D'Aulaires' Greek Myths, which both students will enjoy together (only as oral reading for the 2nd grader, but the 3rd grader will complete the written work). As the 3rd grader works on States & Capitals, your 2nd grader can begin memorizing those too. And as the 3rd grader works through Christian Studies I, the 2nd grader can listen to the stories. And for Latin, your 3rd grader will be in Latina Christiana I, and the 2nd grader can memorize the grammar forms and vocabulary, but I wouldn't require much Latin at this point until he is reading fluently. He needs to concentrate his efforts on decoding the English language right now. And he can study the stars and constellations with the 3rd grader too - visually, but with no written work required.

So, to recap, my recommendation would be the phonics and reading, copywork (substituting the CSI Bible stories rather than the ones in 2nd grade), and math from the 2nd grade program. Then, you can pick up social studies, science, Latin and Christian Studies alongside the 3rd grader - but only as much as the 2nd grader can do without stress. His job for the year is to master reading, writing, and math. Everything else is supplemental to that and if doesn't get done, no worries! He's still got years and years!

Do you think this approach would alleviate some of your stress?

Tanya

Comment

thank you

Tanya,

Thank you for your input. I will work with this frame work and YES it does help relieve stress.

Christy

Comment

Working...
      X